Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Week in Review: Stumbling and Grumbling

ervin santana miguel sano tyler austin royce lewis
  • Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#41 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,059 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 10:38 AM

What irritates me is that if Morrison is having hip problems that are affecting his game throughout this season, then why wait until the season is in the dumpster to shut him down? I just don't get that logic at all...Am I missing something here?

I guess the thinking was, there wasn't a better alternative earlier than to hope Morrison comes around. But I agree, I probably would have used it as an opportunity to shake things up no later than mid-June somehow.

#42 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,690 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 10:57 AM

I'm skeptical that Morrison was injured "all season" without any of us hearing about it at any time. Was there any point in the past six months that a journalist asked him how he was feeling? I'd love to know his response.

If he was injured all year, the Twins gave up the opportunity cost of having someone in his place who would have almost certainly hit better... Vargas or any number of other guys at AAA. Seems like a strange choice for an organization to make for a guy who clearly can't play.

• h2oface likes this

#43 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,059 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 11:15 AM

I'm skeptical that Morrison was injured "all season" without any of us hearing about it at any time. Was there any point in the past six months that a journalist asked him how he was feeling? I'd love to know his response.

Well, he was placed on the DL for this back in July, at which time he said it was "kind of a chronic thing" (as diagnosed by the physician Dr. Dre, I am sure :) ).

https://www.twinciti...n-on-10-day-dl/

“Pretty minor,” Morrison said before Minnesota opened a four-game series against the Tampa Bay Rays at Target Field. “Just aggravation … kind of a chronic thing that’s been going on. A little rest, some medicine, it should be fine.”

• Nick Nelson, h2oface and Doomtints like this

#44 twinssouth

twinssouth

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 11:22 AM

"The Twins lost their "beloved closer""? Beloved by whom? Not by me and I may qualify as the longest tenured Twins' fan who posts on TD. I have pulled for this franchise continuously since 1954. Fernamdo Rodney was one of my least favorite Senators/Twins due to his showboat arrow shooting.

Tarheelstwinfan, you got me beat. I’ve been a faithful follower since 1960. I still remember 1st game at old Met. Also agree with you on F. Rodney.
  • tarheeltwinsfan likes this

#45 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 01:24 PM

Not sure. Erasmo Ramirez might be a better bet for Seattle right now? He just shut out Houston for 5 innings yesterday, on 79 pitches. (He's working his way back from injury himself.)

But yeah, if another starter gets hurt for them, they could come calling. Or if Ervin finally shows some better stuff.

And honestly, if it's just to plug a hole as a 5th starter somewhere, and they don't care about putting Ervin in their postseason rotation, the August 31st deadline wouldn't really matter either.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I were Dipoto I’d make a trade for Santana, not only because of the name value, but the fact that Seattle needs all the help they can get (it’s called depth). Also, Erv’s health “issue” isn’t, and shouldn’t be, comparable to Erasmo Ramirez’s shoulder woes.

Besides, Erv’s finger and performance should only get better with each and every start removed from surgery.

#46 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,059 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 01:42 PM

Maybe I’m wrong, but I were Dipoto I’d make a trade for Santana, not only because of the name value, but the fact that Seattle needs all the help they can get (it’s called depth).

Maybe they're looking at Ervin, and Shields, and Estrada, etc. Acquiring one might preclude acquiring a different one, so they probably can take some time to evaluate. If it's just depth, and Erasmo Ramirez is capable of similar production at the moment, it's not exactly urgent to acquire one of the other guys.

FWIW, they could probably use bullpen help too, especially if Ramirez is starting, and they apparently passed on claiming Rodney just a few days ago. So I am not quite sure what parameters they are working under.

Besides, Erv’s finger and performance should only get better with each and every start removed from surgery.

Is it? That's not what I've been reading here. Things aren't always so simple and linear.

#47 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 01:57 PM

Maybe they're looking at Ervin, and Shields, and Estrada, etc. Acquiring one might preclude acquiring a different one, so they probably can take some time to evaluate. If it's just depth, and Erasmo Ramirez is capable of similar production at the moment, it's not exactly urgent to acquire one of the other guys.

FWIW, they could probably use bullpen help too, especially if Ramirez is starting, and they apparently passed on claiming Rodney just a few days ago. So I am not quite sure what parameters they are working under.

Is it? That's not what I've been reading here. Things aren't always so simple and linear.

Well, Ervin is playing for the Twins, so that could also explain his performance as of late...

Also, maybe the M’s passed on Rodney because they’re looking for a middle reliever like Reed, as well as preparing to move Ramirez to the bullpen.

#48 Minfidel

Minfidel

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 01:58 PM

Beloved by apothecaries and dispensers of indigestion powders. 

"The Twins lost their "beloved closer""? Beloved by whom? Not by me and I may qualify as the longest tenured Twins' fan who posts on TD. I have pulled for this franchise continuously since 1954. Fernamdo Rodney was one of my least favorite Senators/Twins due to his showboat arrow shooting. 

• h2oface and D.C Twins like this

#49 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,059 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 02:05 PM

Also, maybe the M’s passed on Rodney because they’re looking for a middle reliever like Reed, as well as preparing to move Ramirez to the bullpen.

FWIW, Oakland claimed Rodney for middle relief. The M's picked up Colome for middle relief earlier this year too.

I am not an expert on their roster, of course -- it could certainly be that they just want a starter. But Ervin doesn't look particularly appealing yet.

#50 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 3,446 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 02:15 PM

Well, he was placed on the DL for this back in July, at which time he said it was "kind of a chronic thing" (as diagnosed by the physician Dr. Dre, I am sure :) ).

This was tremendous. 

• D.C Twins likes this

#51 Ben Noble

Ben Noble

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • LocationPowderhorn Park

Posted 13 August 2018 - 03:04 PM

I'm not sure if the motivation particularly matters. If an act is "flashy" and frequent enough, I think it can qualify as showboating, regardless of its motivation.

Is it showboating when a player makes the sign of the cross, fist bumps his chest, kisses that fist, then points and looks skyward?

Rhetorical question maybe, and I'm certainly not picking on you...

#52 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 03:15 PM

FWIW, Oakland claimed Rodney for middle relief. The M's picked up Colome for middle relief earlier this year too.

I am not an expert on their roster, of course -- it could certainly be that they just want a starter. But Ervin doesn't look particularly appealing yet.

Maybe they passed due to Rodney’s reputation as a pitcher.

#53 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,059 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 03:35 PM

Is it showboating when a player makes the sign of the cross, fist bumps his chest, kisses that fist, then points and looks skyward?

Probably not on its own, no. (Keep in mind I have no problem with Rodney.)

Although it would be refreshing to see a ballplayer point down to the ground for a change, acknowledging the contributions of Hades and the underworld.
  • Twins33, 70charger, h2oface and 2 others like this

#54 Fritzderkat

Fritzderkat

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 67 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 13 August 2018 - 03:36 PM

I just made a post on one of yesterday's threads, which I'm sure is now lost to history, but I think it applies here as well so I'll paraphrase.

I said earlier "the pieces weren't there" less in agreement with Santana's comment but to my own way of thinking and that is that even if the Twins had kept everybody they traded, or even if Santana and Castro had been healthy and Polanco available, they were still without Buxton and Sano at anywhere near optimal performance and as it turned out were 'stuck' with Lynn, Morrison and Reed. I don't know how anyone here could realistically consider that roster as potential contender--not even in the weak-teat AL Central where even a sub-performing Cleveland team was able to hold them off most of the season without any sort of a serious threat.

The 2018 Twins as structured were not a playoff-caliber team, nor were they in 2017 (despite their sneaking in as a Wild Card), not when you compared them with the perennially few legitimate contenders, and in my opinion the "pieces" for that haven't been there, certainly not the right ones or enough of them, for most of the past 30 years.

So, go ahead and beat me with a stick, preferably something less than a 34-oz. Slugger.

• Hosken Bombo Disco and gman like this

As a species we are not highly evolved

#55 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,366 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 13 August 2018 - 03:59 PM

I know this has been discussed before, but I don’t consider honoring his grandfather as showboating. That said, he wasn’t my least favorite Twin, but I could barely watch when he came in to pitch.

The whole idea of honoring his grandfather..... great. For a couple times. For a season, maybe, although even that is a bit excessive. But now, I believe, that is just his excuse to get in his trademark. He can say he is still honoring his grandfather, but that ship has sailed. Now it is only about his trademark, like the crooked hat, no matter what he spins he gives it. You don't do a 21 gun salute everyday, or every time you do your job instead of blowing the game. How many times does it take before the "honoring" becomes so redundant that it has no point?

#56 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,366 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 13 August 2018 - 04:06 PM

It's not clearcut like a broken femur. First you try therapy on an injury. Then you try rest (he was DL'ed mid-July, right?). Surgery's the last resort, and you prefer to put that to the off-season. With the team in sell-mode, that choice was finally faced, sooner than later for the benefit of the player.

I give the player props for playing through, rather than making a public issue of it. That effort has to stop at some point, where management (at some level in the org) makes the call, on behalf of the player, for the good of the team. But until the manager is told by the player "I can't go", it remains a judgement call - are they better off with their first choice playing only at 85% (realize that such "percentages" result in a steeper than linear dropoff in actual production), or their backup plan at that position or role.

We can quibble about when it became apparent "it can't get better on its own". I hope people will resist the urge to assume downright malfeasance. This outcome clarified, for me, why they stuck with him as long as they did, through what appeared to us fans to be just a terrible slump.

What has not be said yet is exactly when it started. It seems like he had it over the off season, and entered his contract with it at its beginnings. He says he has been dealing with it all year. I wonder if he would have made it through Baltimore's physical? It would be really nice to know the inception, and not just the standard spin that seems to be happening now. I am not doubting he has a problem, and has had a problem and it has affected his play, but I am really interested in knowing when it started, exactly, and if it was disclosed then, and if he carried it over from last season and the off season.

#57 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,354 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 13 August 2018 - 04:27 PM

What has not be said yet is exactly when it started.

You injure something, you nurse it along, it's some amount better, then you tweak it again. Lather rinse repeat. I don't know if it necessarily is something that even had an "exact" start, as far as having an effect on him goes. It could have been progressive, or something fluctuating. Athletes deal with this a lot - no press releases are usually issued.

Treat LoMo's good weeks as evidence, lacking other info. (Not that many to look at. ;) )

A slim chance equals a fat chance, yet a wise man and a wise guy are opposites.

#58 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,366 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 13 August 2018 - 04:31 PM

What irritates me is that if Morrison is having hip problems that are affecting his game throughout this season, then why wait until the season is in the dumpster to shut him down? I just don't get that logic at all...Am I missing something here?

Aerodeliria? By The Loud Family off the release, Plants and Birds and Rocks and Things?

#59 mlhouse

mlhouse

• Members
  • 529 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 06:22 PM

Trying to figure out how Lewis' progress through the minors makes Carlos Correa's look sluggish.Correa played A+ ball as a 19 year old in 2014, same level as Lewis at the same age.  

But we will see if Lewis plays for the Twins as a 20 year old.Correa jumped to AAA to start the 2015 season as a 20 year old, then was called up by Houston and had 432 plate appearances that season.

Most likely, the Twins will continue their conservative approach, despite losing, and Lewis will go to AA next season, AAA perhaps the following with a 2020 debut during the season.IF that happens, you can see the difference between the Twins approach and successful MLB team's approaches.

#60 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 06:32 PM

Rhetorical question maybe, and I'm certainly not picking on you...

Ben, I always thought it was showboating when you disrespected someone or did a "look at me" gesture. 

Yeah, the arrow qualifies in my book. But Batista's bat flip and Rickie Henderson picking up a base are clear examples.

My favorite saying about Reggie:  "There ain't enough mustard in the world for that hot dog." 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ervin santana, miguel sano, tyler austin, royce lewis