Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Week in Review: Stumbling and Grumbling

ervin santana miguel sano tyler austin royce lewis
  • Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#21 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 07:34 AM

Sano, is a real question mark.Is he another Morrison?He seems to be regressing instead of getting better.When he first came up from AA, he was killing the ball and taking his walks but if the ball got in the strike zone he mashed.Something is off and I don't like were this seems to be headed.

Bold prediction here, but despite Sano’s struggles, I really do see him being traded in the offseason, especially after Machado signs.

#22 blindeke

blindeke

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 07:39 AM

Why not DFA Santana?

#23 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 07:56 AM

Why not DFA Santana?

I think there just waiting till Erv can go 7 innings, then they’ll flip him to the M’s for a C level prospect.
  • D.C Twins likes this

#24 wavedog

wavedog

Twins fan since 1969

• Members
  • 809 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 08:19 AM

The Rodney trade I don't get. It, more than the others, may have been the motivator for Santana's remarks, although I agree with Nick that Ervin--this year--has done nothing to merit the right to speak up on behalf of the clubhouse.

Rodney is who he is, and has performed as he has for much of his career. He is sort of a high-wire closer who lives on the heart-attack side of drama. We knew that when we signed him. His age is not yet a hindrance, although it could become one at any day.

Agree with your comments. I know they were somewhat forced when Oakland claimed him so it was either trade him for something or keep him the rest of the year.Moving him would make sense if we had a young closer on the roster we wanted to trial - or if we promoted one of our Rochester guys to take his place but that does not appear to be the case. Actually given the options I like Nick's option of using Tyler Duffey in the spot since he has swing and miss stuff and has closed before in College.Nick Anderson might be another option to trial. 

#25 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,814 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 13 August 2018 - 08:33 AM

Bold prediction here, but despite Sano’s struggles, I really do see him being traded in the offseason, especially after Machado signs.

If internally they believe he won't ever get serious about his career, I could see this happening. But if they think he wil, and while they have a period of control over him, they will keep him. If they end up thinking he won't work his craft, I would concur with trading him over the winter. Btw, I understand launch angle, but Sano's recent uppercuts seem to be pretty steep. His launch angle is currently about 155 degrees. :)
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#26 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 08:42 AM

"Comically oblivious".Well said.

2019 for Kiriloff and Lewis....I love the thought....can't help but be more pessimistic about that.Or are you just talking September?

I was referring more to Lewis there than Kirilloff. If Royce starts in Double-A (which feels like almost a given at this point) it's hard for me to imagine him staying in the minors for the entire season. 

• TheLeviathan likes this

#27 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 08:44 AM

"The Twins lost their "beloved closer""? Beloved by whom? 

Beloved in the clubhouse, by his teammates. 

• Carole Keller, Mike Sixel, Dman and 3 others like this

#28 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 1,191 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 13 August 2018 - 08:46 AM

It's hard for me to take Santana's comments seriously after his performance in the wild card game last year.

• alarp33 and TheLeviathan like this
I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

#29 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,061 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 08:50 AM

I think there just waiting till Erv can go 7 innings, then they’ll flip him to the M’s for a C level prospect.

Not sure. Erasmo Ramirez might be a better bet for Seattle right now? He just shut out Houston for 5 innings yesterday, on 79 pitches. (He's working his way back from injury himself.)

But yeah, if another starter gets hurt for them, they could come calling. Or if Ervin finally shows some better stuff.

And honestly, if it's just to plug a hole as a 5th starter somewhere, and they don't care about putting Ervin in their postseason rotation, the August 31st deadline wouldn't really matter either.

#30 slash129

slash129

• Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 09:04 AM

I'm not sure if the motivation particularly matters. If an act is "flashy" and frequent enough, I think it can qualify as showboating, regardless of its motivation.

But I didn't mind Rodney.

Until someone can get Madison Bumgarner's opinion on this matter, I hesitate to categorize said act.  

#31 birddog

birddog

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 09:09 AM

Great article, Nick. Not a feel-good article but this has been a hurts-like-hell season. Totally agree with the good news about Morrison. I had no idea he had been hurting so maybe there was a reason for his ineptitude. Now don't even think about picking up his option for next year.

Maybe Belisle provides some veteran leadership, but with the money these guys are making actions have to speak louder than words. Maybe his words offer reassurance, but his pitching offers nothing other than a higher draft pick.

Needless to say, Falvine has their work cut out for them as apathy could not be higher right now. If not for Target Field we would have only relatives of the players showing up for games--kind of ironic since only the Eds showed up on the field this year ready to use their bat. And lastly I ask for about the 600th straight day, "Why haven't we seen Gonsalves yet?"

• Carole Keller and Mike Sixel like this

#32 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• Members
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 09:26 AM

It’s baseball. Everyone knows, and has known for years, that teams with sub-.500 records and double digit deficits in the standings move players come the end of July and August. Players who don’t want that to happen to their team should ensure the team isn’t in that position.
  • Twins33, 70charger, twinssouth and 2 others like this

#33 ND-Fan

ND-Fan

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 09:32 AM

So begins the hype for the Twins on there next wave of prospects of Lewis and Krilloffto give Twins fans something else to think about than this current group of players. Just remember both these kids are in minors and Lewis is still in A ball there's long way to go until they reach the majors. Just remember Sano and Buxton they were taring up minor baseball too not so many years ago. If this current group doesn't turn it around were looking at another 4 to 5 years of rebuilding.

#34 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 09:42 AM

I know I responded to this on twitter, but I think it's an important point and one worth bringing up for discussion here.

Kirilloff isn't walking a lot, but I don't think he "swings at everything" at all. He's got a real good approach at the plate. He knows the strike zone well, but he also knows where he can barrel the bat. As Steve Buhr pointed out in a subsequent tweet, he's able to take a pitch 2 inches off the outside corner and drive doubles and homers the other way. 

Of course, if he was hitting .270 instead of .370, this would be a bigger deal...

Seth, that is a great observation. If you want that outside pitch, you will get it...often.  And a step into the pitch but slightly towards the plate moves the sweet spot on the bat a few inches outside on your swing.  Then the "inside out" swing, or what I call the "push away" swing can drive the ball hard the other way because you have moved the sweet spot farther outside on the swing so that you hit it dead solid perfect. Kirilloff has that figured out already. 

#35 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 09:49 AM

Sano, is a real question mark.Is he another Morrison?He seems to be regressing instead of getting better.When he first came up from AA, he was killing the ball and taking his walks but if the ball got in the strike zone he mashed.Something is off and I don't like were this seems to be headed.

Sano was out of shape after leg surgery. He tried to yank everything 500 feet to left field and lost discipline. He went down, lost some weight and got back to basics hitting wise.  He is more selective now and not trying to pull everything. Don't get me wrong, he is still a dead pull hitter, but he is looking at more pitches now and leveling off his windmill swing. I think he will settle in and be better for the demotion. Give it time. 

• D.C Twins likes this

#36 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 09:54 AM

It's hard for me to take Santana's comments seriously after his performance in the wild card game last year.

He relies on his slider and with the middle finger injury he was unable to get it to bite. I appreciate his giving it a try, but maybe we should have started someone else instead of a guy with a hand injury. 

• Tibs and D.C Twins like this

#37 scottz

scottz

• Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 10:02 AM

"The Twins lost their "beloved closer""? Beloved by whom? Not by me and I may qualify as the longest tenured Twins' fan who posts on TD. I have pulled for this franchise continuously since 1954. Fernamdo Rodney was one of my least favorite Senators/Twins due to his showboat arrow shooting. 

He only does it at the end of the game, correct? Do you also consider it to be showboating when the three outfielders run to center field to jump together (or when Buxton was up, miming a fade away jump shot together)? I'm curious about when something crosses the showboat line for you. Or for anybody else.

• Nick Nelson, Twins33 and adorduan like this

#38 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 10:17 AM

What irritates me is that if Morrison is having hip problems that are affecting his game throughout this season, then why wait until the season is in the dumpster to shut him down? I just don't get that logic at all...Am I missing something here?

• h2oface likes this

#39 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,061 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 10:27 AM

It’s baseball. Everyone knows, and has known for years, that teams with sub-.500 records and double digit deficits in the standings move players come the end of July and August. Players who don’t want that to happen to their team should ensure the team isn’t in that position.

To be fair, we didn't have a double-digit deficit when the trades started -- we were 7 games back when the first trade went through. Still not that close, but you can perhaps see how a player like Ervin might think it wasn't as cut-and-dried of a decision as you suggest. (I think Ervin just threw out "10 games back" off the cuff because it was a nice round number, I wouldn't pick on it too much specifically.)

#40 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,368 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 13 August 2018 - 10:30 AM

What irritates me is that if Morrison is having hip problems that are affecting his game throughout this season, then why wait until the season is in the dumpster to shut him down? I just don't get that logic at all...Am I missing something here?

It's not clearcut like a broken femur. First you try therapy on an injury. Then you try rest (he was DL'ed mid-July, right?). Surgery's the last resort, and you prefer to put that to the off-season. With the team in sell-mode, that choice was finally faced, sooner than later for the benefit of the player.

I give the player props for playing through, rather than making a public issue of it. That effort has to stop at some point, where management (at some level in the org) makes the call, on behalf of the player, for the good of the team. But until the manager is told by the player "I can't go", it remains a judgement call - are they better off with their first choice playing only at 85% (realize that such "percentages" result in a steeper than linear dropoff in actual production), or their backup plan at that position or role.

We can quibble about when it became apparent "it can't get better on its own". I hope people will resist the urge to assume downright malfeasance. This outcome clarified, for me, why they stuck with him as long as they did, through what appeared to us fans to be just a terrible slump.

• Carole Keller, USAFChief, h2oface and 2 others like this

A slim chance equals a fat chance, yet a wise man and a wise guy are opposites.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ervin santana, miguel sano, tyler austin, royce lewis