Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Q&A: Offseason Plans, Molitor's Status and Much More

eduardo escobar eddie rosario jake odorizzi fernando romero matt belisle
  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,168 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 11:29 AM

He's a negative WAR player this year, and will be 34 next year.
I'd have no interest, and I doubt the FO will either.

Agreed. I have zero interest in a 34 year-old 2nd baseman whose stock is falling like a rock joining the Twins. I hope the front office feels the same.

Murphy's 2B defense has always been suspect. What about signing him for 1B, or DH? His bat could still play there -- his wRC+ marks in 2016 and 2017 were 155 and 136, respectively, and after a slow first month back from knee surgery this year, he's got a 161 wRC+ over the last 30 days too. Nice low K rates as well, which might be welcome in our lineup.

#22 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 21,914 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 13 August 2018 - 12:11 PM

Outside food is definitely allowed.

Generally no outside beverages, though: "Sealed, bottled water 32 oz. or less, and soft sided single juice or milk containers for children are the only outside beverages permitted into Target Field."

https://www.mlb.com/...formation/guide

I bring empty an empty water bottle and fill it up at a water fountain, and/or get a free soda coupon at the Designated Driver booths by sections 130 and 222.

PM me your digits.

• SF Twins Fan likes this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#23 jkcarew

jkcarew

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 12:33 PM

Murphy's 2B defense has always been suspect. What about signing him for 1B, or DH? His bat could still play there -- his wRC+ marks in 2016 and 2017 were 155 and 136, respectively, and after a slow first month back from knee surgery this year, he's got a 161 wRC+ over the last 30 days too. Nice low K rates as well, which might be welcome in our lineup.

This is not a crazy idea.But then, you're suggesting that, this off-season, the Twins sign two left-handed bats that can only play (from a practical standpoint) 1B.Because if they don't sign Joe, but sign Murphy to play 1B/DH...the governor will have to call in the National Guard.

#24 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,168 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 12:42 PM

This is not a crazy idea.But then, you're suggesting that, this off-season, the Twins sign two left-handed bats that can only play (from a practical standpoint) 1B.Because if they don't sign Joe, but sign Murphy to play 1B/DH...the governor will have to call in the National Guard.

I know you're joking.... but Murphy has more offensive upside than Mauer, he's a couple years younger, he's generally been healthier. Plus some versatility to be able to cover 2B if needed. I think you could justify it to the public without declaring martial law. :)

• USAFChief, Mike Sixel, Riverbrian and 1 other like this

#25 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,678 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 13 August 2018 - 12:46 PM

I know you're joking.... but Murphy has more offensive upside than Mauer, he's a couple years younger, he's generally been healthier. Plus some versatility to be able to cover 2B if needed. I think you could justify it to the public without declaring martial law. :)

Murphy is the type of guy who can develop position flexibility because he isn't tremendously gifted as a defender but has the capability of being adequate at multiple positions. 

You sign him and find a way to get his bat in the lineup. 

Murphy would absolutely be on my FA wish list. 

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#26 Jacksson

Jacksson

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 01:24 PM

Would it be worth it to take on Martin Prado and Starlin Castro if it also included Realmutto? What/who would it take?

#27 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,168 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 01:49 PM

Would it be worth it to take on Martin Prado and Starlin Castro if it also included Realmutto? What/who would it take?

The Marlins wouldn't offer it. :)

Seriously, they don't really need payroll relief anymore. And neither of those contracts is particularly onerous for them (both expire after 2019).

#28 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 04:05 PM

Signing Murphy would be good move for a “legit” contending team with core players to back it up, unfortunately the Twins aren’t at that point yet.

If I’m being honest with myself, I’d rather we sign Escobar or and Josh Harrison to hold down the fort until Gordon and Lewis establish themselves as major leaguers.
  • bighat likes this

#29 hybridbear

hybridbear

Realistic Member

• Members
  • 456 posts
  • LocationNicaragua

Posted 14 August 2018 - 06:26 PM

Outside food is definitely allowed.

Generally no outside beverages, though: "Sealed, bottled water 32 oz. or less, and soft sided single juice or milk containers for children are the only outside beverages permitted into Target Field."

https://www.mlb.com/...formation/guide

I bring empty an empty water bottle and fill it up at a water fountain, and/or get a free soda coupon at the Designated Driver booths by sections 130 and 222.

I’ve always brought my own water bottle. I didn’t realize food was allowed. What’s the free coupon at the DD booth? I hadn’t heard about this program before.

#30 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,168 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 07:22 PM

I’ve always brought my own water bottle. I didn’t realize food was allowed. What’s the free coupon at the DD booth? I hadn’t heard about this program before.

You sign something pledging to be a designated driver (don't worry, you don't actually have to do anything to fulfill that obligation!), and they give you a coupon for a free regular soda at any concession stand.
  • hybridbear likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eduardo escobar, eddie rosario, jake odorizzi, fernando romero, matt belisle