Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: DET 5, MIN 3: Is There Anything Left?

ervin santana
  • Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#41 jtkoupal

jtkoupal

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 07:17 AM

Despite Ervin's great 2017, he greatly overperformed his 4.77 xFIP and 4.60 SIERA. 

He was destined for regression anyway. 

Factor in the surgery that has diminished his velocity, and here we have 2018 Ervin Santana.

One thing is almost a guarantee... that Ervin Santana will NOT be back at his $14M option next season.

He is probably not back at all. Quite truthfully, the Twins don't need him back.

#42 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,629 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 11 August 2018 - 07:20 AM

I'm ok with him being pissed.

I guess I would've preferred the team had gotten this upset about their fate back in May.It would've been nice if Dozier hadn't been a hole in the lineup for the entire year.Or if Buxton could stay on the field.Or if Sano could've been better prepared to help.Or if LoMo or Lynn would've justified their signing.I could go on.

Being mad at the FO for selling at 48-56?That's just ridiculous.It really is.  

There is plenty of blame to go around. 

The Players did not do their job. They need to look in the mirror. 

The Manager allowed the players who didn't do their job to keep doing their job. He needs to look in the mirror. 

The Front Office did not prepare for the possibility that the players would not do their job. They need to look in the mirror. 

1 Twins Way should really have one big GIANT MIRROR that stretches across the entire facility. 

• Carole Keller, ashburyjohn, USAFChief and 5 others like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#43 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,057 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 07:33 AM

I don't think he was really unprofessional, just missing the point regardless of the question asked.

So his response to the question asked suggests he is missing the point... of a question not asked?

#44 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,309 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 07:34 AM

I guess I am a bigger let the kids play kinda guy considering what we have. I suppose if we could get Santana for under $10 million it may be tempting but I also hope that the Twins alleviate the log jam of minor league arms. I see Fernando Romero at the point of his career that Berrios was in 2016, the only difference is Romero has pitched more capablely in his 1st year in the bigs than Berrios did so conventional wisdom should be that he’ll be even more ready next year and with his immense skill set I don’t want to see him even start the year in AAA. That will set up Lewis Thorpe being moved up to a crowded Rochester rotation and give some mid season promotion opportunities for the likes of Sean Poppen, Tyler Wells, and Brusdar Graterol.

I also want the kids to play, FWIW. I'd have Romero and Gonsalves in the rotation today. Mejia too, when off the DL.
  • Danchat and Sconnie like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#45 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,057 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 07:54 AM

Being mad at the FO for selling at 48-56? That's just ridiculous. It really is.

I agree that would be ridiculous, since they actually sold at 48-53. :)

I think Ervin's comment is being used to rehash the same old debates, so I will digress. I don't want to do that again.

I just think Tom was overreacting wildly to a pretty understandable response to a pretty specific question. Tom's characterization of the clip doesn't seem fair. I strongly disagree that Ervin was being disrespectful or unprofessional, and in no way should it be considered a factor in his future with the club. (Not that I necessarily want him re-signed, but Tom seems to be advocating for his immediate trade/release based in part on this comment. That's what I am reacting to here, not more general trade deadline discussion.)
  • Carole Keller, Riverbrian and Rigby like this

#46 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 07:58 AM

He was asked this question "The Trade of Fernando. How tough is that for...you as a friend and how tough is that as a team"? 

That question was an abrupt segue from the game. 

He answered the question. 

If you ever wonder why we need PR departments, or why players should stay off social media. Please consider your reaction to his answer and how counter productive it is to getting actual inside information. 

He left the public relations handbook for a brief moment and you were right there to quickly slap him for it.

Sorry for slapping you back.:)

He absolutely deserves it. Ervin Santana should be grateful he has an opportunity to keep pitching in the major leagues right now. This isn't the media using Santana to obtain inside information, I don't think Mike set him up to take a cheap shot at the front office, this is Ervin using the media to be a cry baby.

It's good that he's frustrated about how the season went, he should be, but that's not the way to go about voicing frustrations. He also should also be able to acknowledge a part of what's unfolded lies upon his own shoulders.

If this is what comes out when he ventures outside of the "PR handbook," then he should probably stick to the script.

• Thrylos and TheLeviathan like this

#47 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,629 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 08:04 AM

I also want the kids to play, FWIW. I'd have Romero and Gonsalves in the rotation today. Mejia too, when off the DL.

It's time to start weening the playing time from the players who won't be back next year but I suppose they do have to showcase a little bit for possible August deals. 

Santana:

Since he is coming off injury. I think it makes sense to let him make a couple of more starts for the scouts of other clubs to form opinion. 

Forsythe:

I suppose he could get traded for something this month but how necessary is an audition? wouldn't the book on this guy be already written. How much damage can you actually do to his trade value by asking him to share playing time with Adrianaza or ROSARIO on a team that is not in contention. Hard to find that 2B hole with the contenders so he probably won't bring high value no matter how hot he gets in an everyday role. BTW... if he is doing some auditioning for trade value (I don't think he is), Play him at 3B on occasion. Open the market up past the limited 2B suitors. If Molitor is playing Forsythe simply because he thinks he is better than Adrianaza. He may be right but... well... it's gonna be hard to explain to forward thinking GM's in job interviews down the road. 

Morrison: Will the Twins pick up his option? If Yes: I don't know how to respond to that. Then whatever. 

If No: Move on. Turn it over to Tyler Austin right now. 

Mauer: Will not play for another club. He might be back next year. Let him play... let him rest.

• Mike Sixel, wsnydes and BJames like this

Founded 4-23-16 

#48 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,629 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 08:13 AM

He absolutely deserves it. Ervin Santana should be grateful he has an opportunity to keep pitching in the major leagues right now. This isn't the media using Santana to obtain inside information, I don't think Mike set him up to take a cheap shot at the front office, this is Ervin using the media to be a cry baby.

It's good that he's frustrated about how the season went, he should be, but that's not the way to go about voicing frustrations. He also should also be able to acknowledge a part of what's unfolded lies upon his own shoulders.

If this is what comes out when he ventures outside of the "PR handbook," then he should probably stick to the script.

You are right... He should have stuck to the script. 

Last night... He didn't and look at what happened.

This is why Falvey and Lavine can't be transparent like we want them to be? 

This is why Santana can't be transparent like we want him to be? 

This is why the Ball Boy signs a confidentially agreement at the age of 15. 

Just put down your indignation and think about it.

Then take your responsibility as part of the mentality that has created the repeated safe soundbites from every major league player that has led to the same repeated safe questions from the reporters who report.

It's pretty sterile and it's been pretty sterile for a while. Last night, we get one mud print on the nice clean floor and you are pissed. 

Please Tom... Think about it. 

Founded 4-23-16 

#49 wsnydes

wsnydes

Winter baseball enthusiast

• Members
  • 3,381 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 11 August 2018 - 08:14 AM

So his response to the question asked suggests he is missing the point... of a question not asked?

I think you're reading into my comment far more than how I meant it. He said that it's difficult to win without your best pieces. His words, not mine. I simply stated that they didn't win with those "best pieces", so stating that it's difficult to win while not having them, while true, is missing the point. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm not attacking him or his comments. Clearly he's frustrated by the sell off, as he should be. I figured Erv to have a little more perspective I guess.

• Riverbrian likes this

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." - Meat 

#50 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 08:26 AM

You are right... He should have stuck to the script. 

Last night... He didn't and look at what happened.

This is why Falvey and Lavine can't be transparent like we want them to be? 

This is why Santana can't be transparent like we want him to be? 

This is why the Ball Boy signs a confidentially agreement at the age of 15. 

Just put down your indignation and think about it.

Then take your responsibility as part of the mentality that has created the repeated safe soundbites from every major league player that has led to the same repeated safe questions from the reporters who report.

It's pretty sterile and it's been pretty sterile for a while. Last night, we get one mud print on the nice clean floor and you are pissed. 

Please Tom... Think about it.

We who? You're assuming we want the same things. Think about that.

#51 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,629 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 08:34 AM

We who? You're assuming we want the same things. Think about that.

I have thought about it quite a bit. I make no such assumptions. I'll be careful next time to type "Others and I" instead of "We" for perfect clarity. 

Some people just want to watch the world burn. 

http://twinsdaily.co...an-explanation/

Founded 4-23-16 

#52 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,057 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 08:35 AM

Tom, respectfully, I can't disagree with this enough.

I don't think it was a cheap shot at all. I don't hear it as him placing undue blame on the front office, or even saying they necessarily did anything wrong. It is really just an acknowledgement of the fact that the front office and players are in very different roles. The front office can sell assets when they feel it is strategically wise to do so, and they can send a letter to season ticket holders explaining themselves. But the players can't do any of that. They have to keep playing. They have to keep working toward the same goal of winning games (and divisions), same as always.

And sometimes these different roles will come into conflict. Like right around a trade deadline when we were a long shot but not quite a "no shot" and we we were coming up on a bunch of games with our chief rival (the most recent two having been walk-off losses where perhaps Rodney was unavailable due to trade talks/agreements).

If the front office addressed the team right now, I am 100% sure they would acknowledged responses like Ervin's as perfectly valid. I bet his teammates would too, they are all caught up in the same conflict.
  • Carole Keller, USAFChief, diehardtwinsfan and 5 others like this

#53 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,350 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 11 August 2018 - 08:54 AM

Being mad at the FO for selling at 48-56?That's just ridiculous.It really is.  

I agree that would be ridiculous, since they actually sold at 48-53. :)

This is a very fair counterpoint to 48-56. The die was not cast, until the moment Escobar was traded.

(And how pathetic is it, if trading your super-sub utility infielder is what constitutes raising the white flag of surrender?)

But trades don't happen overnight, and decisions to raise that white flag even less so. Escobar's trade on July 27 happened to come at an awkward moment, following a four game winning streak. But, on July 22 the team's record was 44-53, and I'm going to infer that it was on this date or shortly afterward that the front office put their stake in the ground and decided the plug was to be pulled. Several trade discussions no doubt had to be put into high gear before the first one was signed. We fans can't look at July 27 as a simple go/no-go date. 44-53 looms large, to me.

(And how pathetic is it, if 44-53 followed by 48-53, followed by 48-56, constitutes differences in how the team's chances at post-season play are viewed?)

• Riverbrian, TheLeviathan and wsnydes like this

A slim chance equals a fat chance, yet a wise man and a wise guy are opposites.

#54 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,964 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 08:55 AM

With all due respect spycake, I think you're spinning this way too positively.Given the question he was asked, he had no sound basis to say the FO "gave up on them".I especially love the line of "We were only 10 games back".

That comes off as willfully ignorant.

Ervin Santana is an adult who, by now, should know that the game he plays is also a business.He is absolutely welcome to feel upset that many of his teammates and friends were traded away, but he should also understand the context.He had many avenues to answer that question candidly while also understanding the predicament the FO was in at the deadline.He chose instead to use that question as a sounding board to unfairly attack the FO.  

• jimmer likes this

#55 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,964 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 08:57 AM

This is a very fair counterpoint to 48-56. The die was not cast, until the moment Escobar was traded.

(And how pathetic is it, if trading your super-sub utility infielder is what constitutes raising the white flag of surrender?)

But trades don't happen overnight, and decisions to raise that white flag even less so. Escobar's trade on July 27 happened to come at an awkward moment, following a four game winning streak. But, on July 22 the team's record was 44-53, and I'm going to infer that it was on this date or shortly afterward that the front office put their stake in the ground and decided the plug was to be pulled. Several trade discussions no doubt had to be put into high gear before the first one was signed. We fans can't look at July 27 as a simple go/no-go date. 44-53 looms large, to me.

(And how pathetic is it, if 44-53 followed by 48-53, followed by 48-56, constitutes how the team's chances at post-season play are viewed?)

Exactly, this team was flirting with 10 games under and 6-10 games back in their division.The FO didn't have the luxury to wait out the games with Cleveland.We'd have all loved to have those games before the deadline, but the decision makers didn't have that luxury.  

Yet it feels like a repeated hammer against their decisions that they didn't "wait" for those games.The problem with a lot of the criticisms on this board, and Ervin's, is a complete omission of the larger context of how and why the decisions had to be made.

And, just like Ervin, frustration is totally fair.But without the context, the criticisms that stem from that frustration are often ridiculously unfair.

• jimmer, wsnydes and mngopherguy like this

#56 Rigby

Rigby

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 78 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 11 August 2018 - 09:03 AM

Anyone who deems Ervin's comments insensitive may want to steer clear of locker rooms in general.......

• Carole Keller, ashburyjohn, Riverbrian and 3 others like this

#57 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,350 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 11 August 2018 - 09:10 AM

Anyone who deems Ervin's comments insensitive may want to steer clear of locker rooms in general.......

That was my reaction. I simply have no way of guessing whether ESan's remark crosses a line or not. The same words could have a different impact, depending on a dozen individual factors in that particular clubhouse. I'm not there, regardless of whether I'm qualified to judge or not. This is one of a manager's primary jobs, to gauge this and a thousand other things that get said or done over the course of a season, and take decisive steps, or subtle steps, in the rare case he deems it necessary - or, more likely, do nothing. Molitor, Glynn, etc, have seen it all by now. As a fan, I'll merely note this instance, and remember it if some kind of fallout occurs in a week or two. It probably falls in the large category of "do nothing".

• wsnydes likes this

A slim chance equals a fat chance, yet a wise man and a wise guy are opposites.

#58 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 09:23 AM

Pitching is about ability and pure stuff, at the end of the day. It's also about experience and knowledge. How many dynamic arms, over the years, have we all just seen flame out due to the inability to throw secondary stuff, or learn "how to pitch"? And how many guys have we seen that weren't flamethrowers but had that secondary stuff to succeed? And how many guys have we seen who used knowledge and command to offset a loss of velocity over time?

Your answer would undoubtedly depend on age and how long you've been a baseball fan. The ultimate example, IMO, would be Greg Maddux, who began his career with dominate stuff, and finished with dominate stuff based on said control and pitchability.

So where does Santana fit in this conversation? He's had a long and great career. He's been mostly steady his whole career. If you look at his numbers, his brief Twins career he has performed about as well as he ever has. I would never diminish a pitcher, or any athlete, undergoing surgery. Something is wrong/hurt, and you are attempting to correct it. But physically, Santana has always been in shape. Mentally, he's always been strong. I've heard rumors and whispers for some time now that age will catch up, and that he has a tendon just waiting to give out.

A pitcher doesn't just need a healthy shoulder and elbow...along with hips, knees, etc...but something as simple as a wrist and fingers to control the ball and snap off his stuff. Considering his career, and his season last year...not to dimish surgery...but is it possible the velocity and such are still there waiting for a normal prep time?

The Twins have financial flexibility, and prospects to trade, and talent in their nucleus to work with, that they could afford to bring Ervin back. Not at his $15M to be certain, but maybe on a cheaper 1 year deal with incentives. Unless there is something else going on physically, would it be such a bad move? Would you bet against him?

This year the comp might be Mike Maddux. While Greg Maddux preformed well his last half decade of his career, he was at an over 4 ERA. 

#59 BJames

BJames

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 09:28 AM

Frustrating year, with all three areas breaking down- Players,Manager,F.O.Let see where we go from here, but I'm for playing out the rest of the season looking towards next year.To me Spring Training starts today.  

• Carole Keller, Riverbrian and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#60 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 09:39 AM

The Twins traded a few of their under performing assets and a lefty reliever. That is not quiting

• Thrylos and Sconnie like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ervin santana