Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Mejia to the DL -- who starts Sunday?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,007 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:02 AM

Yeah, I was looking at potential 40-man additions in another thread, and they probably have room for Stewart if they want.

But if they're going to add him to the 40-man and keep him into 2019, then there really isn't any urgency to move him up to MLB right now either. I'd probably rather see Romero, who could/should be in the opening day rotation next year. And Gonsalves after that.

I think they know what they have in Romero.....so I'd rather see Gonsalves or Stewart, but I'm good with any of the three......no interest in Littell for me.

• Carole Keller, Twins33 and bunt_vs_the_shift like this

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#22 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:03 AM

Or they might actually see the light and cut/trade Morrison.

And admit they were wrong?

#23 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,007 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:05 AM

And admit they were wrong?

I have some issues with the FO, but admitting they were wrong by trading guys is not one of them, imo. 

• Carole Keller, Thrylos, Twins33 and 3 others like this

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#24 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,168 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:05 AM

FWIW, with the Twins off day Monday, we wouldn't need a 5th starter again until Saturday August 18, and Mejia would be eligible to return that day (assuming they make his DL stint retroactive). Although I have no idea if Mejia would actually be ready to return that soon.

Still no excuse not to start Romero on Sunday. If anything, the Twins should probably go with a 6-man rotation at this point, even without Mejia (Romero + Gonsalves?) and swap fresh relievers up and down in the Duffey/Drake spots as needed.

• Mike Sixel, Sconnie and DocBauer like this

#25 jkcarew

jkcarew

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:07 AM

Frustrating, though.Probably the best 5 innings Mejia has ever pitched (in the majors)...given the outstanding pitch count, which has been a bugaboo for him.Now this.

• Mike Sixel, Twins33, Danchat and 4 others like this

#26 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:07 AM

I have some issues with the FO, but admitting they were wrong by trading guys is not one of them, imo. 

Agreed, but when trading guys that don't work, it can be spun to "we got prospects" for him, so there's some saving grace.

I wonder if they can do the same if they were to just cut someone loose with no return.

On the other hand, if they can get someone to give anything for Morrison, they might just be geniuses.

• spycake, Sconnie and Dman like this

#27 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,168 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:09 AM

Well, the original poster did say "cut/trade." They're probably not ready to cut Morrison yet, for whatever reason. The cases of Morrison and Belisle suggest they might have some aversion to cutting vets they brought in.

As for trades, I'm not sure if any of the trades to date constitute "admitting they were wrong."

• Mike Sixel, Sconnie and jud6312 like this

#28 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,813 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:29 AM

Or they might actually see the light and cut/trade Morrison.

you can only have so many DH's on the roster

#29 jkcarew

jkcarew

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:30 AM

Well, the original poster did say "cut/trade." They're probably not ready to cut Morrison yet, for whatever reason. The cases of Morrison and Belisle suggest they might have some aversion to cutting vets they brought in.

As for trades, I'm not sure if any of the trades to date constitute "admitting they were wrong."

In the last 5 years..including this disastrous season, Morrison's wRC+ is better than Joe Mauer's (lower WAR than Joe).And Morrison is 30 years old.And he can hit the ball over the fence. He's a favorite whipping boy on these threads, for obvious reasons.But he's not realistically going to be "cut".

I think the Rodney trade was a bit of 'admitting mistake'...or at least changing of the minds...as nothing has really changed in the bullpen since they decided to sign Rodney (lost Pressly, May got healthy)?

With guys like Morrison and other objects of our frustration (like Grossman...even Reed, etc.)...it won't be until the off-season until we get a fair view on how quickly the FO is willing 'change their minds' on guys.

• DocBauer likes this

#30 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 12,494 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 10 August 2018 - 01:08 PM

My preference woudl be Gonsalves or Thrope, just to see them. We know what we have in Romero at the moment. Gonsalve's schedule isn't ideal. Perhaps Thrope gets a cup of coffee and Gonsalves gets his starts lined up for the next one.

• nicksaviking and FormerMinnasotan like this

#31 gil4

gil4

The irrational optimism is back!

• Members
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 10 August 2018 - 01:29 PM

Scott Klingenbeck is 2 years older than Bartolo Colon.Let that sink in for a moment.

So it's more realistic than I thought. I would have guessed he was older than that.

#32 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 01:44 PM

The one I like to trot out: Bartolo Colon was born the day before Todd Walker.

You mean this guy?

1218 todd christmas vacation launch V2 3 1 1200x630

• Twins33, jud6312 and jkcarew like this

#33 jkcarew

jkcarew

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 01:56 PM

So it's more realistic than I thought. I would have guessed he was older than that.

We all would have! :)

• gil4 likes this

#34 nater79a

nater79a

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 01:59 PM

Yup. I hope it's Romero, and they just let Rochester do a bullpen game on Saturday.

Although I suppose the Twins could do a bullpen game on Sunday instead, but that would feel pointless.

Knowing how the Twins work things they'll probably try to get five innings between Duffey and Moya - then option both out after the game for Busenitz + another body.

#35 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,381 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 02:03 PM

My favorite: Brad Radke is about 6 months older than Bartolo Colon. Radke retired 12 years ago. He’s been retired for as long as he was a MLB player.
  • USAFChief, scottz, gil4 and 2 others like this

#36 gil4

gil4

• Members
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 10 August 2018 - 02:31 PM

I think I have intentionally buried that era of Twins teams further back in my mind than it actually was.

#37 gil4

gil4

• Members
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 10 August 2018 - 02:34 PM

What is the injury to Mejia?

#38 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,276 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 03:02 PM

Sprained/strained wrist. It happened during the game he last pitched. Initial reports were that they thought he'd still be able to make his next start ... apparently not.

• gil4 likes this

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#39 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,168 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 03:02 PM

Hopefully just the wrist:

https://www.twinciti...g-tyler-austin/

Throwing a one-hit shutout through five innings, he was removed after just 68 pitches when he felt “a stinging effect in the lower left forearm — closer to the wrist — that radiated up through the elbow,” according to manager Paul Molitor.

• gil4 likes this

#40 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,599 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 03:09 PM

Yup, it is a game theory exercise.

Me? I'd like to see what he does in the majors, if I'm the Twins. I think someone selects him next year, there are some really bad teams/staffs out there. He's worth a risk, imo, for someone.

I don't know why he's not already in the pen in Rochester. If they want to stick him in the pen in the majors I guess I don't care at this point but I don't think I care to see him start for the Twins.

• Mike Sixel likes this