Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Duffey and Austin called up

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#21 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 13,760 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 09:17 AM

Worth noting that since we've renewed his contract 6 times, Duffey will be eligible for minor league free agency if we don't keep him on the 40-man roster this offseason, even if he clears waivers. Although he also has a minor league option remaining for 2019, if we keep him on the roster.

Chase De Jong is in a similar spot, in terms of contractual status and remaining options.

#22 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,457 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 09:18 AM

Worth noting that since we've renewed his contract 6 times, Duffey will be eligible for minor league free agency if we don't keep him on the 40-man roster this offseason, even if he clears waivers. Although he also has a minor league option remaining for 2019, if we keep him on the roster.

Chase De Jong is in a similar spot, in terms of contractual status and remaining options.

Interesting on De Jong......I wonder if he should be in the Twins bullpen right now, and not Duffey?

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#23 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 13,760 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 09:25 AM

Interesting on De Jong......I wonder if he should be in the Twins bullpen right now, and not Duffey?

Probably room for both if you want, assuming Drake isn't sticking around.

Although does De Jong have the stuff to suggest he might be good in the pen?

#24 twins_89

twins_89

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 09:32 AM

I believe both Duffey and Austin are out of options for next season, so they will either have to make the 25 man roster next season or be let go. Makes sense to give them an extended look to help make decisions this off-season.

#25 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 13,760 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 09:35 AM

I believe both Duffey and Austin are out of options for next season, so they will either have to make the 25 man roster next season or be let go. Makes sense to give them an extended look to help make decisions this off-season.

Duffey still has an option remaining for 2019. (He has only used options in 2016 and 2018 so far -- he stayed in the majors all of 2017, and spent fewer than 20 days on optional assignment in 2015.)

Edited by spycake, 10 August 2018 - 09:36 AM.

#26 twins_89

twins_89

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 09:39 AM

Duffey still has an option remaining for 2019. (He has only used options in 2016 and 2018 so far -- he stayed in the majors all of 2017, and spent fewer than 20 days on optional assignment in 2015.)

Interesting, I didn't know that using an option doesn't count if it was a short stay in the minors. 

#27 Major Leauge Ready

Major Leauge Ready

• Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:01 AM

I have little interest in seeing Duffey again either, but I might guess this is just a perfunctory move before he is removed from the 40-man soon or in the offseason.

Looks like his strikeouts are up and his HR are down even compared to his prior minor league numbers though. Maybe he has made some changes. He was dabbling with a slider when he was up earlier this year, anyone know if he was throwing it at Rochester? If it's become a usable pitch he might be a completely different pitcher, that is, not a one trick pony.

It would be great if he actually has something new to offer. Wouldn't it be a nice surprise to find we have a BP asset for next year we did not know about. I doubt this is the case but I will be watching and hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

• Mike Sixel, nicksaviking and Sconnie like this

#28 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• Members
  • 378 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:13 AM

Grossman is on the DL so Austin wouldn’t be taking his spot. So that leaves LoMo or Mauer. If Mauer waves his no-trade clause, I could see someone trading for him to assume a back-up role. More likely LoMo is gone.

They won't trade Mauer. He is family. 

#29 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 21,443 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:15 AM

If the presence of Belisle on the 25 man doesn't tell everyone that the front office sees no bullpen help in "all the young arms" at Rochester, seeing multi-time failure Duffey return should at least lead one to suspect that idea, no?

• Mike Sixel, LA VIkes Fan and bighat like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#30 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 20,920 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:20 AM

It’s a business. If he waived his no-trade clause and someone would give us something good in return, they should do it despite anyone’s nostalgia. I don’t think it will happen but I don’t think it’s completely out of the realm of possibility.
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern
Nevertheless, she persisted. Time’s up.

#31 redstorm

redstorm

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:23 AM

Looks like the corresponding move is Mejia to the DL.

• Sconnie and bighat like this

#32 wsnydes

wsnydes

Winter baseball enthusiast

• Members
  • 3,265 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:24 AM

If the presence of Belisle on the 25 man doesn't tell everyone that the front office sees no bullpen help in "all the young arms" at Rochester, seeing multi-time failure Duffey return should at least lead one to suspect that idea, no?

I think there's some truth to that, however I wonder how much Molitor's reluctance of using inexperienced players unless forced to plays into that decision.

• Sconnie likes this

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." - Meat 

#33 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 13,760 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:29 AM

Interesting, I didn't know that using an option doesn't count if it was a short stay in the minors. 

Yup:

https://www.thecubre...xport/html/3521

If a player spends 20 or more days of an MLB regular season on Optional Assignment to the minors, an option year is expended and the player does not accrue MLB Service Time while on Optional Assignment. If a player spends 19 or fewer days of an MLB regular season on Optional Assignment, an option year is NOT expended and the player does accrue MLB Service Time while on Optional Assignment.

And a player in the minor leagues isn't considered on "optional assignment" unless they are on the 40-man roster. That means in 2015, Duffey wasn't on "optional assignment" despite playing in the minors from April through July. Only in August, when the Twins added him to the 40-man roster and then sent him back down for 7 days, was he considered to be on "optional assignment". (On the flip side, Duffey got MLB service time credit for those 7 days too.)

• wsnydes likes this

#34 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,457 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:31 AM

#$^@%&^@$$^@#

Not only is Mejia hurt, but that means Austin will maybe sit on the bench while Morrison plays. I hope to be wrong about Austin sitting...

• LA VIkes Fan and bighat like this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#35 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 13,760 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:32 AM

It’s a business

Ooh, how about a "family business"?

p12021_p_v8_ab.jpg

• Carole Keller and USAFChief like this

#36 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,295 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:41 AM

It would be great if he actually has something new to offer. Wouldn't it be a nice surprise to find we have a BP asset for next year we did not know about. I doubt this is the case but I will be watching and hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

Yeah, I'd think it's unlikely to happen, but when bullpen guys pick upa new pitch and turn their careers around, it's usually the slider.

But those guys are also typically lefties.

#37 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 20,920 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:43 AM

Ahh, makes sense. Forgot he tweaked his wrist.
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern
Nevertheless, she persisted. Time’s up.

#38 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,295 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:44 AM

#$^@%&^@$$^@#

Not only is Mejia hurt, but that means Austin will maybe sit on the bench while Morrison plays. I hope to be wrong about Austin sitting...

It probably depends on who's making the call. If it's Molitor, yeah probably Austin gets two starts and a couple of pinch hitting appearances.

And since they're adding another hitter instead of a reliever, maybe he gets a relief appearance in a blow out also.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#39 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 21,443 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:46 AM

It probably depends on who's making the call. If it's Molitor, yeah probably Austin gets two starts and a couple of pinch hitting appearances.

And since they're adding another hitter instead of a reliever, maybe he gets a relief appearance in a blow out also.

Position flexibility. It's the new market inefficiency.

• Carole Keller, Mike Sixel and nicksaviking like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#40 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• Members
  • 1,119 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:47 AM

But don't the Twins have to call up another starter to replace him?