Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: BREAKING: Twins Trade Rodney To A's

fernando rodney dakota chalmers
  • Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#121 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,396 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 04:16 PM

I get your thinking -- I generally liked the moves last winter, and the trade returns at the deadline -- but I think that glosses over the intervening 4 months. Would have liked to see more of an attempt to shake up the 2018 team, maybe in May/June, before resigning themselves to seller status. Belisle was an underwhelming attempt, to say the least.

To be fair, Belisle came so late that he barely moved the needle in either direction. I'm not saying I liked the signing or want him anywhere near Minnesota, just that it probably didn't make much difference. The hand was pretty much dealt by the time he came aboard.

The front office was a mix of conservative and aggressive early in the season. After all, they promoted Romero pretty aggressively and let him pitch... and then demoted him.

A weird season.

• Danchat and howieramone2 like this

#122 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,220 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 04:48 PM

To be fair, Belisle came so late that he barely moved the needle in either direction. I'm not saying I liked the signing or want him anywhere near Minnesota, just that it probably didn't make much difference. The hand was pretty much dealt by the time he came aboard.

The front office was a mix of conservative and aggressive early in the season. After all, they promoted Romero pretty aggressively and let him pitch... and then demoted him.

A weird season.

Well, the lateness is part of the problem with the Belisle move. (Not Belisle specifically, but the late effort trying to shake up the season a bit.) Too little, and too late?

Actually I think adding Belisle may have just been an early sign we were preparing to punt, and adding another cheap vet reliever so we could deal others. In which case... that was too early to give up.

I liked the Romero promotion, but that plus cutting Hughes was kind of the plan since spring training. Or at least, Romero took it because Mejia was hurt at the time. It wasn't really a proactive effort to shake things up.

And as you mention, as our season was moving toward irrelevance, we demoted Romero... then we demoted Mejia... and then we had Aaron Slegers starting for some reason... weird season.
  • Brock Beauchamp likes this

#123 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 9,207 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:49 PM

It’s nice to have that arbitrary deadline but that wasn’t the way the market was working. Other teams were stalling and the market was very slow developing because the top players weren’t signing. Guys don’t just sign with someone during that period, they wait and see what the market will be. You’re not going to get movement unless someone thinks “Yeah, this is the best I’m going to get.” So you have to overpay (like the Rockies with Holland, a bad contract no matter what he did this year).

You would have paid exceptionally more for Cobb had you signed him early because you’d be paying against what people thought the market would be, not what it was. His contract looks rough now at four years and $57 million. Think what you would’ve had to pay if you’d moved quickly. Another year? Another $20 million?

Twins Fest is not an arbitrary deadline, in my opinion. Also, that was roughly the deadline the front office set during the Dozier talks the prior offseason. In Cobb's case (or Darvish), he could be introduced at Twins Fest and ready for camp in Feb, and it's a different story, whatever he signs at, 4/60 or whatever.

The silver lining is the Twins have that additional free agent money to spend this offseason. 

#124 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 514 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 07:25 AM

That's a ridiculous suggestion.

Garver should be the "opener".

Hmm, not a bad idea. Let's emulate Tampa Bay's strategy!

#125 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,797 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 11 August 2018 - 07:35 AM

Sources say: the leading Dark Horse candidate is Belisle... :talk028:

Sadly... This can't be simply dismissed. 

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#126 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Members
  • 1,220 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 11 August 2018 - 09:57 AM

Reed, Morrison, and Odorizzi better be next.

Reed and Odorizzi aren't going anywhere. 

I was recently advised by a representative of the board's female caucas, that the term panties in a bundle is not acceptable. Until further notification, please use the term boxer shorts in a bundle. Fact is stranger than fiction.

#127 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Members
  • 1,220 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 11 August 2018 - 09:59 AM

Not sure how many walk offs Rodney gave up this season, but more than enough. Chambers is tall and rail thin. His fastball sits at mid-90s with ability to hit 98. He’s a project for a good pitching coach. I’m not confident we have one of those.

We have multiples, like every other team.

I was recently advised by a representative of the board's female caucas, that the term panties in a bundle is not acceptable. Until further notification, please use the term boxer shorts in a bundle. Fact is stranger than fiction.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fernando rodney, dakota chalmers