Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: BREAKING: Twins Trade Rodney To A's

fernando rodney dakota chalmers
  • Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#81 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,536 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:39 AM

FWIW, Bard has had a pretty poor season at AAA. His K rate is way down.

I have no idea what his "spin rate" is, though. :)

Probably better off looking at Duffey or Busenitz again -- they're both basically the same age as Bard anyway, and have accomplished more this season (and through the pro careers).

I'd give both of them another fair shot, but it sounds like Duffey has burned all remaining bridges.

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#82 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:42 AM

Also saw the Austin is heading up to the Twins. I haven't seen an announcement on a corresponding move. Has anyone heard any thing?

#83 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,412 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:42 AM

A pretty underwhelming return on paper but whatever, I don't even care that much. Let's just hope Falvey sees something in this guy worth the effort.

#84 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,536 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:43 AM

I'm a little surprised. 

I thought they would pick up the option and Rodney would be back. 

We are going to need a big quantity of players next year. 

I was surprised there wasn't a better bidder for Rodney before the deadline. Did Oakland pick up the remaining salary? The Twins need to recoup as much of this years' payroll excess as possible to sign "a big quantity of players next year..." (Although I prefer quality over quantity)

• Riverbrian likes this

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#85 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,536 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:44 AM

A pretty underwhelming return on paper but whatever, I don't even care that much. Let's just hope Falvey sees something in this guy worth the effort.

Yep. I thought Rodney would merit a more near-major league ready arm in return.

#86 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,412 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:45 AM

I was surprised there wasn't a better bidder for Rodney before the deadline.

I'm actually wondering if the Twins front office simply ran out of time at the deadline. They were crazy-active and moved loads of players over a short period of time.

And Rodney was probably at the bottom of that list, as he's not worth much and the team was probably floating whether to keep him for next season.

• Dman, SF Twins Fan and Tomj14 like this

#87 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:47 AM

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I like the FO attitude. Rather than hold on to vets like Rodney who are not in our long term plans so we can win 78 games instead of 73, we're getting value for these guys and looking to 2019 and 2010.Next one out should be Morrison. Then Forsythe unless the thinking is we don't have another middle infielder on the horizon and we need to see if he can be the 2B next year. Also Odorizzi. We can replace him and he might be worth a decent prospect. 

Santana should stay.Let's see if he's worth having as a #3 or 4 starter next year. He won't fetch much now any way. Start him every 5th or even 6th day (I'm a fan of a 6 man rotation the rest of the way to see Romero or Gonsalves).He could be a real asset next year. 

• Mike Sixel, Dman, tarheeltwinsfan and 5 others like this

#88 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:51 AM

Did Oakland pick up the remaining salary?

Yes, Oakland is paying the full remaining salary, per Beradino:

Edited by spycake, 10 August 2018 - 08:54 AM.

• tarheeltwinsfan likes this

#89 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:53 AM

Also saw the Austin is heading up to the Twins. I haven't seen an announcement on a corresponding move. Has anyone heard any thing?

The corresponding move for Austin hasn't been announced yet, but this guy was spotted entering Logan Morrison's suite at the team hotel:

119835.jpg

• Twins33, GCTF, LA VIkes Fan and 1 other like this

#90 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:54 AM

They're throwing in the towel because the team underperformed and injuries/suspensions to key people made it worse. They're not in contention for the division (they were what...9 games back at the deadline?), they haven't been in contention for a wild card either, being even further back than for the division. They loaded up for a run at the division this year, adding veteran pieces to try to stabilize the rotation and the bullpen, and started the season with what should have been a solid lineup. It didn't work. So they're moving on from the people who are mostly going to be free agents next year. The only guy who wasn't is Pressly, and it seems like they got a good return for him.

It's not the results we were hoping for, but it's not a sign that they don't have a clue or don't have a plan. I'd rather have cold-eyed realism about what this team is and what it is not than pie in the sky idealism about "maybe they can win 14 straight and get back in it!" (which still probably leaves them 4-5 back, but whatever)

I think we should add that the down year has highlighted how well the FO prepared for all possible outcomes. They didn't mortgage the Twins future with a bunch of Ricky Nolasco contracts. They knew that if things didn't work out they could pivot and take advantage of the expanded market two wild cards often brings to sellers. They took a shot at making a run this year but didn't mortgage the future. Love it.

• Han Joelo, Mike Sixel, Kelly Vance and 15 others like this

#91 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,846 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:58 AM

The Twins need to recoup as much of this years' payroll excess as possible to sign "a big quantity of players next year..."

I won't bother to search for a link but my recollection is that the Twins have stated explicitly that this isn't how they budget.

• Mike Sixel and MN_ExPat like this

Trust everybody ... then cut the cards.

#92 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 09:01 AM

I think we should add that the down year has highlighted how well the FO prepared for all possible outcomes.

I get your thinking -- I generally liked the moves last winter, and the trade returns at the deadline -- but I think that glosses over the intervening 4 months. Would have liked to see more of an attempt to shake up the 2018 team, maybe in May/June, before resigning themselves to seller status. Belisle was an underwhelming attempt, to say the least.

• USAFChief, Han Joelo, Mike Sixel and 3 others like this

#93 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 09:02 AM

The corresponding move for Austin hasn't been announced yet, but this guy was spotted entering Logan Morrison's suite at the team hotel:

attachicon.gif119835.jpg

I hope you're right. My guess? A trade to the Yankees.  

#94 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,536 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 09:02 AM

I won't bother to search for a link but my recollection is that the Twins have stated explicitly that this isn't how they budget.

So then the savings from this year's salary dump will go to pine trees back in CF?

• tarheeltwinsfan likes this

#95 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,297 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 09:03 AM

I get your thinking -- I generally liked the moves last winter, and the trade returns at the deadline -- but I think that glosses over the intervening 4 months. Would have liked to see more of an attempt to shake up the 2018 team, maybe in May/June, before resigning themselves to seller status. Belisle was an underwhelming attempt, to say the least.

It also glosses over that they went low risk, low reward, by not signing the best FAs (though they certainly tried to sign Darvish).

• jokin, adorduan, Jham and 3 others like this

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#96 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,536 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 09:11 AM

I think we should add that the down year has highlighted how well the FO prepared for all possible outcomes. They didn't mortgage the Twins future with a bunch of Ricky Nolasco contracts. They knew that if things didn't work out they could pivot and take advantage of the expanded market two wild cards often brings to sellers. They took a shot at making a run this year but didn't mortgage the future. Love it.

This is pretty much where I'm at with FO. The off-season was well-executed- with reasonable expectations that the end of 2017 was a jump off point for the solid young core to bust out in a big way in 2018.

I am disappointed in bringing in Belisle to bolster the pen, and the last two moves of Dozier and Rodney. International FA money- comp pick slots over slop and suspect prospects- I guess the whole league has wised up.

Just a couple more roster spots to open up in August- it would be nice if there was a bidding war for Mauer or Santana.

#97 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 800 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 09:15 AM

My immediate reaction is the title of that great Etta James' song, "At Last"' 

#98 adorduan

adorduan

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 09:15 AM

Do you consider Craig Kimbrel a reliable closer? He's blown 4 saves for the Red Sox this season, versus Rodney's 6. No pitcher is 100% perfect.

The Fernando Rodney Experience was never primarily about the blown saves and walk-offs, anyway. 

Yes

#99 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 09:23 AM

It also glosses over that they went low risk, low reward, by not signing the best FAs (though they certainly tried to sign Darvish).

Who did you want them to go get last winter? Who were the guys they should have been in on?

In my mind, the Twins made some strong moves in relief (and spycake is right that not trusting the young arms is the issue, not the free agents signed as aside from Belisle, the vets were as good as you could expect collectively) and decent moves for starting pitching (went for Darvish, didn’t go too far and then got a solid 1 year guy). After that, I can’t see where they should have been more active. The position players were set and you’d be upset to bring someone in to take a spot from a young guy. Sure Buxton, Sano and to a lesser extent Kepler have had bad seasons but you wanted to roll with those guys because they’re the future. I look at opening day and aside from Polanco being suspended, that’s who I wanted the Twins to have at that position.

I don’t see where the Twins should have been more active last offseason in Free Agency.

• LA VIkes Fan and howieramone2 like this

#100 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 2,359 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 09:37 AM

My immediate reaction is the title of that great Etta James' song, "At Last"' 

Someone was listening to the Initials Game this morning

• Danchat likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fernando rodney, dakota chalmers