Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: BREAKING: Twins Trade Rodney To A's

fernando rodney dakota chalmers
  • Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#21 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:46 PM

Interesting event.I am in MI and saw it announced in the Astros Mariners game.Good news.Please do not pick up any more loose arms - go with what is in the minors.

• SF Twins Fan, KirbyDome89, jud6312 and 2 others like this

#22 mlhouse

mlhouse

• Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:47 PM

Honestly, I thought we could get more for him than what this looks like on the surface.

Once again looks like high velocity, high upside gamble.

When the risk is zero, it isn't a gamble.   

• Oldgoat_MN, djvang, Dozier's Glorious Hair and 3 others like this

#23 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:59 PM

Its like we traded for Burdi...
  • Mike Sixel, h2oface, Kelly Vance and 4 others like this

#24 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• Members
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 09 August 2018 - 09:01 PM

If Belisle is closing next week we will all feel very sad. Time for new blood. I don't mind the return arm. Here's hoping the new kid recovers.
  • gocgo, SF Twins Fan, jud6312 and 1 other like this

#25 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 09:05 PM

Rodney just wasn't going to be a part of the future for this team.While I did enjoy the FRE I just didn't see him being a fit for this team next year.I think this team needs better options. The return feels a bit underwhelming but considering the type of pitcher he is I guess this is about what he was worth.Would have been nice if they could have gotten some DSL or GCL lotto ticket as well but I guess Chalmers was it.I guess it is nice to get something for him.Thanks for the memories Rodney.Have fun being on a playoff team and entertaining the A's fans.

• glunn, Oldgoat_MN, David HK and 2 others like this

#26 mngopherguy

mngopherguy

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 09:09 PM

Interesting trade, I guess it makes sense moving Rodney when he doesn't fit.The Twins will probably need to sign a closer in the off season.  

#27 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 09:11 PM

I like this return better than Watson and 500k international cap space for our closer last year.
  • MikeW likes this

#28 Borealis

Borealis

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 09:17 PM

Admire Rodney's career, his firm fast ball and light touch on the change-up.At his age, it's like "Grampa got game".

But the arrows, the skewed hat, the non-chalance as the 9th inning got crowded with opponents on bases, sorry Fernando but, you lost more than a game with all that.

Good luck on the Coast, I do like the way A's play ball.

Both the arrows and the tilted cap are tributes to his late father. I find it rather admirable that he does the tributes regardless of what anyone else thinks. But yeah, on the surface it can seem unsportsman like and I get why many find it irritating lol.

Agreed on A’s! They often times become competitive seemingly out of nowhere, playing fundamentally sound baseball. Kinda like the “Twins Way” pipe dream we hear about, but actually living it in real life lol.
  • luckylager, Mike Sixel, SF Twins Fan and 3 others like this

#29 sftwinsfan

sftwinsfan

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 09:19 PM

They were only going to move him "for a very nice offer" this month I read not too long ago.I'm thrilled he's moved on, but kind of seems like a sad return. Sounds like a kid with talent, but had to step away from baseball in 2017 and now Tommy John in 2018.More to add to thier rule 5 log jam in a couple years.You don't win the lotto if you don't play I guess, but those seem like some long odds to get for a guy you allegedly wanted to keep around next season.  

• Mike Sixel, Dman, KGB and 1 other like this

#30 Borealis

Borealis

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 09:23 PM

Interesting event. I am in MI and saw it announced in the Astros Mariners game. Good news. Please do not pick up any more loose arms - go with what is in the minors.

Agreed on the statement of not picking up anymore loose arms. I can’t describe how frustrated I was the other night watching Dereck Rodriguez pitch for the Giants. We’ve already had to let go of too many high upside arms recently and really feel like we’ve been blowing it on that front.
  • Mike Sixel, h2oface, Kelly Vance and 4 others like this

#31 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 09:23 PM

This seems like a smart move, but I'm honestly going to miss Fernando. He was fun and he got the job done more often than not. Definitely lived up to his nickname, but I enjoyed watching him work.

• Mike Sixel, Oldgoat_MN, Kelly Vance and 8 others like this

#32 curt1965

curt1965

• Members
  • 725 posts
  • LocationLuverne, Minnesota

Posted 09 August 2018 - 09:41 PM

Now the question is who is going to get called up to take Rodney’s roster spot. Personally, I hope it’s Busenitz.
  • ChrisKnutson likes this

#33 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• Members
  • 788 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 09:44 PM

Both the arrows and the tilted cap are tributes to his late father. I find it rather admirable that he does the tributes regardless of what anyone else thinks. But yeah, on the surface it can seem unsportsman like and I get why many find it irritating lol.

Yeah, and when I go out on the town whoring and drink too much, it's a tribute to a college friend who lived hard and died young.

But, then again, I don't throw 94 with a quality change-up.Especially not at 41.And, I can't drink like I did at 31.

So, I get it, and Fernando has been shooting arrows into dome roofs for more years than I have hairs on my head.While the save situation has collapsed, the sky never has.

God Bless him. 

And, I hope the Twins rough him up soon.

• h2oface, MN_ExPat, DannySD and 1 other like this

#34 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 09:46 PM

Reed, Morrison, and Odorizzi better be next.
  • Danchat, curt1965 and BJames like this

#35 MikeW

MikeW

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 09:57 PM

Not sure how many walk offs Rodney gave up this season, but more than enough. Chambers is tall and rail thin. His fastball sits at mid-90s with ability to hit 98. He’s a project for a good pitching coach. I’m not confident we have one of those.
  • h2oface and Dman like this

#36 dougd

dougd

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 09:59 PM

The cupboard is pretty bare at Rochester for relievers. Only Reed has been above average since July 1. Curtis has had some recent scoreless outings.

#37 David HK

David HK

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 2,864 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 09 August 2018 - 10:01 PM

Huh... I thought they'd hold on to him and use his option, but I'm fine that they'd didn't. I'm interested to see who'll get the opportunity to close games... Hildy and Reed would probably be the top options but I don't think they should at the moment. Let's get an arm from AAA and figure things out from there.

Don't forget- we still have Belisle!!

:jump:

#38 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 3,927 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 10:07 PM

Duffey is getting called back up to take Rodney's spot. It's possible it's going to be Tyler's last hurrah on the roster unless he looks better this time around.

• Mike Sixel, darin617, scottz and 1 other like this

#39 mngopherguy

mngopherguy

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 10:46 PM

Duffey is getting called back up to take Rodney's spot. It's possible it's going to be Tyler's last hurrah on the roster unless he looks better this time around.

Also reading that Austin is coming up, but the corresponding move hasn't been made.  

I've seen enough of Duffey.

#40 Bill Brown69

Bill Brown69

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 11:53 PM

Golf clap. Good move with no downside. We will now know something about somebody and as far as who closes this year, everybody that might have anything!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fernando rodney, dakota chalmers