Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: BREAKING: Twins Trade Rodney To A's

fernando rodney dakota chalmers
  • Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,239 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:11 PM

The Minnesota Twins have announced that they have traded RHP Fernando Rodney to the Oakland A's in exchange for RHP Dakota Chalmers.The Twins have traded their closer, Fernando Rodney, to the A's. In return, the Twins receive 21-year-old RHP Dakota Chalmers.

Chalmers was the A's 3rd round pick in 2015 out of high school in Georgia. He received a seven-figure bonus, well over slot value, to keep him from a commitment to the University of Georgia.. He pitched a couple of games with Beloit this year, but according to Darren Wolfson, he had Tommy John surgery in April.

Here is another report on Chalmers from Jeff Johnson of The Gazette in Cedar Rapids:

Rodney was signed by the Twins before this season. He worked in 46 games for the Twins and went 3-2 with 25 saves and a 3.09 ERA.

According to Mike Berardino, the A's had claimed Rodney, which of course gave them less leverage in a trade.

The Twins will make a corresponding roster move tomorrow before their game.

Click here to view the article
  • glunn likes this

#2 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:18 PM

Late innings might be watchable now. 

Enjoy the FRE Oakland; I sure didn't. 

• Thrylos, h2oface, jud6312 and 1 other like this

#3 mudcat14

mudcat14

• Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:18 PM

Pitching in Beloit for 5 whole innings this season.Currently on the DL.Not on A's Top 30 list.6'3" & about 175#.Anybody got a scouting report on him?I hope he at least throws hard when healthy.

Now, let's find a taker for Morrison and see what Austin might provide going forward.

• jud6312 likes this

"Hey!You F**ked Up.You trusted us." - Otter to Flounder in 'Animal House'

#4 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:19 PM

Huh... I thought they'd hold on to him and use his option, but I'm fine that they'd didn't. I'm interested to see who'll get the opportunity to close games... Hildy and Reed would probably be the top options but I don't think they should at the moment. Let's get an arm from AAA and figure things out from there.

• mikelink45, KirbyDome89, jud6312 and 2 others like this

#5 Twinsoholic

Twinsoholic

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:20 PM

Look at his Ks last season. Something like 47 in about 29 innings.
  • howieramone2 likes this

#6 Homer Hanky

Homer Hanky

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:21 PM

I always thought May would be a good closer! 

• mikelink45, puckstopper1, David HK and 3 others like this

#7 tvagle

tvagle

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 785 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:23 PM

Only thing we can say is....

"We were open for business on several players, but just couldn't put a deal together that we liked...our biggest pickups will really be the return of All-Stars Sano and Santana as well as the Platinum Defensive player of the year in Buxton...adding those three to our lineup in the second half without mortgaging any future assets is really the best of both worlds"

#8 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• Members
  • 769 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:23 PM

Admire Rodney's career, his firm fast ball and light touch on the change-up.At his age, it's like "Grampa got game".

But the arrows, the skewed hat, the non-chalance as the 9th inning got crowded with opponents on bases, sorry Fernando but, you lost more than a game with all that.

Good luck on the Coast, I do like the way A's play ball.

• Hosken Bombo Disco, jud6312 and MN_ExPat like this

#9 djvang

djvang

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:25 PM

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!
  • jud6312 likes this

#10 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,457 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:26 PM

Wow. Unexpected. Not sure how I feel about the return.

Make McGill the closer please. Keep May for high leverage.

Or maybe move Reed to closer?

• Carole Keller, nicksaviking, Sconnie and 3 others like this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#11 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:27 PM

He was as high as #8 on their pipeline http://m.mlb.com/pro...s/2015?list=oak

He is 21 and has had some injuries and significant trouble with command. He is young enough to recover from both and approach his upside when drafted.

• birdwatcher, Mike Sixel, scottz and 6 others like this

#12 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,898 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:28 PM

I always thought May would be a good closer!

May is probably better used putting fires out mid inning than 3 runs up with no one on. I also don’t know if he is up to the workload of a closer (sometimes 2-3 days in a row).

Does anyone really think it won’t be Matt Belisle in the 9th in 9 days? Until then, idk. Hildenberger I guess. Maybe matchups.

Edited by yarnivek1972, 09 August 2018 - 08:29 PM.

• Dr. Beanpole likes this

#13 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,094 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:31 PM

I say we run out multiple openers, and let the starting pitcher finish games.

• Mike Sixel, MN_ExPat and Original Whizzinator like this

#14 FormerMinnasotan

FormerMinnasotan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:31 PM

I wonder who’s next? Personally I kinda hope it is Ervin Santana. Not that I have anything against him, but with this obvious rebuild going on now would be the time to trade Santana and then call up Stephen Gonsalves and roll with Gonsalves for the rest of the year and see what we got (that is unless we trade Jake Odorizzi) in Gonsalves.
  • birdwatcher, Twins33, mikelink45 and 4 others like this

#15 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,733 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:33 PM

Honestly, I thought we could get more for him than what this looks like on the surface.

Once again looks like high velocity, high upside gamble.

• mikelink45, Dman, Rigby and 3 others like this

#16 Krusington

Krusington

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:40 PM

Pitching in Beloit for 5 whole innings this season.Currently on the DL.Not on A's Top 30 list.6'3" & about 175#.Anybody got a scouting report on him?I hope he at least throws hard when healthy.

Now, let's find a taker for Morrison and see what Austin might provide going forward.

Mid/High 90s fastball is what I've been seeing and reading most places. High risk/reward type pitcher it seems. Lots of Ks but lots of walks as well.

• IaFan1 likes this

#17 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:40 PM

A million dollar bonus baby. A year away from returning to the minors. Still not a bad return ffor the future.

But who closes?

Hildenberger has been overused.

We still have Curtiss and his stuff in the minors.

But I'm voting that we make TREVOR MAY the closer for the remainder of the season and see if he can handle it, assuming we do have games to close.

Still to move: Morrison and Santana, and maybe Addison Reed.

• David HK, SF Twins Fan, jud6312 and 1 other like this

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#18 Twinsoholic

Twinsoholic

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:41 PM

I like the trade. Rolling the dice on for a high upside starter makes sense to me. The comments from the Beloit pitching coach are glowing.
  • howieramone2 and IaFan1 like this

#19 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:42 PM

I wonder who’s next? Personally I kinda hope it is Ervin Santana. Not that I have anything against him, but with this obvious rebuild going on now would be the time to trade Santana and then call up Stephen Gonsalves and roll with Gonsalves for the rest of the year and see what we got (that is unless we trade Jake Odorizzi) in Gonsalves.

The problem is that nobody's going to trade for Santana when he's struggling to throw 90 and is rather ineffective. Maybe you could flip him as a long reliever, but I have a feeling they might need to shut him down on the DL for the rest of the year.

• Sconnie likes this

#20 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:44 PM

Huh... I thought they'd hold on to him and use his option, but I'm fine that they'd didn't. I'm interested to see who'll get the opportunity to close games... Hildy and Reed would probably be the top options but I don't think they should at the moment. Let's get an arm from AAA and figure things out from there.

They won't need a closer most nights.

• darin617, Sconnie, gocgo and 1 other like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fernando rodney, dakota chalmers