Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (8/8): Larnach Impresses and Thorpe Spins a Gem

minnesota twins trevor larnach lewis thorpe
  • Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,010 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:42 AM

Don't forget Rooker could also go to the Arizona Fall League. (Of course, that wouldn't preclude a brief promotion to AAA either.)

He probably will, but from what I've read, teh quality of the pitching there has dropped the last couple years, as teams worry about injury. But, we'll see....

I agree with everyone, he should be in AAA now.

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#22 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 09:09 AM

Progress this season but still multiple years away. He's still not even 21 yet, no matter how hard he's pushed. :)

Yeah, he'll start in AA next year. By midseason he may be in a place where he could cover a ten day DL stint. That's if everything goes well of course.

#23 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 09:19 AM

Progress this season but still multiple years away. He's still not even 21 yet, no matter how hard he's pushed. :)

This is such a Twins thing. Is there any other team in the league that has such a ridiculous development policy? Carlos Correa had three birthdays in one season, if I recall correctly, and yet here are the Twins insisting that their players age one year at a time. Ridiculous.

• ashburyjohn, spycake and Tomj14 like this

#24 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 12,498 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 09 August 2018 - 09:24 AM

Yeah, he'll start in AA next year. By midseason he may be in a place where he could cover a ten day DL stint. That's if everything goes well of course.

He won't be on the 40 man next year, so I highly doubt he's going to be the guy to cover a DL stint unless they only keep 2 catchers on the 40 man. 

• ashburyjohn and ThejacKmp like this

#25 rdehring

rdehring

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 690 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 10:02 AM

http://www.blogtalkr...ekly-episode-82

On his Minnesota Sports Weekly podcast last night, Travis Aune interviewed Chris Blessing from Baseball HQ. Hes' been a guest before... but in the episode, he talks about the players the TWins received in all five trades, but then he talked about Thorpe and Kirilloff and several other players. I think you all will be interested in his thoughts on Brent Rooker too. 

Fast-forward to the 4:00 mark to hear the interview. It's about 15-20 minutes long or so. Good stuff from Chris as he has seen the majority of these guys. He scouts Chattanooga often. He got up to see Cedar Rapids in Bowling Green earlier in the year. He gets to E-Town and the Appy League quite a bit too.

Thanks for the link, Seth.Enjoyed the interview!

#26 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Administrators
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 10:15 AM

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I didn't think the Pitcher could be on the mound at all, let alone about to step on the rubber, if he didn't have the baseball???

That's what I thought too. There is also a rule that the pitcher cannot stand near the rubber without the ball (it's a balk). I think the umps screwed up because they got surprised by it too.

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 45, Speed: 45. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but will sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#27 AceWrigley

AceWrigley

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 10:47 AM

Looking forward to seeing Andrew Vasquez, the big (6-6, 228) lefty reliever at Chattanooga. Career minor league era of 1.56 in 99 games. Whip of 1.12 and over 13 KO's per 9. Don't know how hard he throws, but he sure has gotten results. Hopefully his stuff plays as he moves up.

• 70charger and slash129 like this

#28 jkcarew

jkcarew

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 11:03 AM

Last night's home run was Rooker's first in about the last 9-10 games.But the things he needs to improve upon, keep improving.Encouraging.His on-base/walks continue to improve, and the K% continues to trend in the right direction.

I agree, let's get him to AAA.

#29 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,614 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 09 August 2018 - 11:28 AM

He won't be on the 40 man next year, so I highly doubt he's going to be the guy to cover a DL stint unless they only keep 2 catchers on the 40 man. 

I'm not even convinced he's a lock to start at AA next season. He needs to finish strongly at high-A after the mid-season promotion there.

• ThejacKmp likes this

I'm in big trouble at home. I used one of the couch pillows AS A PILLOW.

#30 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,403 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 11:46 AM

Is this aboutRortvedt? Because he'll startnext season in Ft. Myers again, I'm pretty sure. He may get to AA. 

• ashburyjohn and rdehring like this

#31 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,403 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 11:48 AM

Is there a reason that Rochester continues to employ the "opener" pitcher scenario? 

The last two times the "opener" has been lit up for 3 runs and the "starter" has come in and pitcher well.  

Because it'sjust a matter of time before we see the Twins do it in the big leagues. 

#32 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,403 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 11:53 AM

This is such a Twins thing. Is there any other team in the league that has such a ridiculous development policy? Carlos Correa had three birthdays in one season, if I recall correctly, and yet here are the Twins insisting that their players age one year at a time. Ridiculous.

Age has nothingto do withwhy Rortvedt is in Ft. Myers.Development is. And comparing people to the Correa timeline isn't fair... I did it with Royce Lewis the other day...there it can be fair since they are both #1 overall picks. Most others aren't on anywhere near that kind of timeline. Has littleif anything to do with age. Does anyone think it was a bad thing that Rortvedt started the season back in Cedar Rapids?  

• rdehring likes this

#33 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 02:11 PM

Because it's just a matter of time before we see the Twins do it in the big leagues.

I'm all for this. It seems to make total sense.

Even as young kid, I remember wondering about the current paradigm.

When playing the Angels, for example, in any one given game, how are you most likely to win? Contain Mike Trout. How are you most likely to keep Trout hitless? Throw your 3-4 best pitchers available at him, don't let him face the same guy twice, change the location from which the call leaves the pitchers hand as much as possible.

Same for nearly any other good team. If you hold Francisco Lindor hitless in a series against Cleveland, you'll probably win it (or at least make it much more likely).

They'd definitely need to figure out a way to not slow the game down any more, but I think we'll see this.

Edited by Darius, 09 August 2018 - 02:14 PM.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#34 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,614 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 09 August 2018 - 03:28 PM

Age has nothingto do withwhy Rortvedt is in Ft. Myers.Development is. And comparing people to the Correa timeline isn't fair... I did it with Royce Lewis the other day...there it can be fair since they are both #1 overall picks. Most others aren't on anywhere near that kind of timeline. Has littleif anything to do with age. Does anyone think it was a bad thing that Rortvedt started the season back in Cedar Rapids?  

Psst, Seth, I think 70charger was just playing along with my joke that Rortvedt can't age any faster than 1 year at a time, and perhaps just barely maybe possibly could be he was satirizing certain opinions while he was at it. I think he's on your side in this. :)

• Seth Stohs likes this

#35 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,403 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 03:57 PM

Looking forward to seeing Andrew Vasquez, the big (6-6, 228) lefty reliever at Chattanooga. Career minor league era of 1.56 in 99 games. Whip of 1.12 and over 13 KO's per 9. Don't know how hard he throws, but he sure has gotten results. Hopefully his stuff plays as he moves up.

Fastball touches 90, 91. 

Slider is tremendous... 

#36 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 05:57 PM

Psst, Seth, I think 70charger was just playing along with my joke that Rortvedt can't age any faster than 1 year at a time, and perhaps just barely maybe possibly could be he was satirizing certain opinions while he was at it. I think he's on your side in this. :)

Yep, satire alert.

Seth, I know you have a lot to read and probably skim, so no worries. Thanks for all you do.

• ashburyjohn likes this

#37 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,614 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 09 August 2018 - 06:04 PM

Yep, satire alert.

I have a modest proposal: all satirists should be fricasseed and fed to the wealthy.

• David HK likes this

#38 David HK

David HK

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 2,865 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:15 PM

I have a modest proposal: all satirists should be fricasseed and fed to the wealthy.

Too late.

That was already on page 428 of the most recent tax law that nobody bothered to read.

Except me, of course.

• ashburyjohn likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: minnesota twins, trevor larnach, lewis thorpe