Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: CLE 5, MIN 2: Cleveland Prevails on Lindor Walk-Off Homer

miguel sano trevor hildneberger max kepler
  • Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#21 ewen21

ewen21

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 844 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 06:16 AM

By then it will be too late. 

Should we find a CF now?

#22 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,928 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 09 August 2018 - 06:29 AM

Should we find a CF now?

Of course.:)

Or the off-season. Whatever works best. 

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#23 ewen21

ewen21

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 844 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 06:37 AM

Of course.:)

Or the off-season. Whatever works best. 

Interesting.

#24 big dog

big dog

• Members
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 06:46 AM

Yep.

#MolitorNeedsToGo

LIke-ity Like Like Like

• Carole Keller, USAFChief and Jerr like this

#25 puckstopper1

puckstopper1

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 06:56 AM

Yep.

#MolitorNeedsToGo

Wherefore art thou Tom Kelly....

• Carole Keller likes this

That Twins 2nd baseman - #29 - he doesn't run, he "ca-rew-zes" - Earl Weaver

#26 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,588 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 07:04 AM

Hildy seems to have some "streaky" to him.

#27 Puckett34

Puckett34

• Members
  • 1,270 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 09 August 2018 - 07:21 AM

My diagnosis is that Hildy caught Belisleitis. I think they can put him on the DL for that, however.

Much like in the show Parks and Recreation, somebody needs to be the Jerry. Somebody on the roster needs to be Belisle.Poor Hildy drew the short straw.

SlimyCleanHydra.gif

• Riverbrian and TheLeviathan like this

Hit dingers.  Never bunt.

#28 Number3

Number3

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 07:24 AM

Molitor may "go" on his own but he will never be sent. He fits the mold of a Minnesota Twins manager perfectly. Rapidly becoming one of the worst run franchises in professional sports. Watching the Atlanta Braves beat Washington last night was so refreshing. Braves have a parade of fresh faces plus a real veteran first baseman in Freeman who can flat play the game. My guess is that every one of these players, including Freeman at some point, were probably available to the Twins. Again, where is the 2016 number 1 pick in all of MLB and why is his name never mentioned in 2019 plans, if not 2018? Will he even be called up during the ridiculous roster expansion in September? Never could understand that since that is crunch time and should be decided by the core team; not exhibition teams.

• Mike Sixel and ewen21 like this

#29 gocgo

gocgo

• Members
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 07:27 AM

Pretty predictable ending.For the life of me, I don't know why we had Hildy pitch to Lindor.Lindor hit a Hildy change up a mile the previous night so this time he was waiting on a changeup again and got it.I think the issue with Hildy is that he really only has 2 pitches so batters either sit on the fastball or, as Cleveland has been doing, on the the changeup.He throws from a variety of angles, but for a 77 mph changeup, it really doesn't matter what the arm angle is as the players have time to pick it up.I like coming over the top occasionally with the fastball, but not the changeup.I turned the channel before the Lindor home run even landed.

Edited by gocgo, 09 August 2018 - 07:32 AM.

• Mike Sixel and RichReese like this

Mind your own biscuits and life will be gravy.

#30 Puckett34

Puckett34

• Members
  • 1,270 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 09 August 2018 - 07:30 AM

Again, where is the 2016 number 1 pick in all of MLB and why is his name never mentioned in 2019 plans, if not 2018? Will he even be called up during the ridiculous roster expansion in September?

He plays for the Clearwater Thrashers of the Philadelphia Phillies organization.His name is Mickey Moniak.Don't think he's in the plans for the Twins quite yet as he's not in the Twins' organization.

Royce Lewis was drafted in 2017.

Edited by Puckett34, 09 August 2018 - 07:31 AM.

• ThejacKmp, 70charger, IndianaTwin and 3 others like this

Hit dingers.  Never bunt.

#31 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,451 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 07:32 AM

A guy I would love to see as the next manager of the Twins: Tom Prince.

I still remember YEARS ago when Kyle Lohse was a largely enigmatic suspect. There was a game he pitched and was all over the place but was getting away with it. When the Twins were hitting in like the second inning there were several TV shots of Prince right in Kyle’s face for a solid 2-3 minutes. As I recall, the result was 5 near perfect innings after that.

THAT is EXACTLY the kind of guy the Twins need. A TEACHER.

#32 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,960 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 09 August 2018 - 07:52 AM

Should we find a CF now?

We'd probably better. They don't come cheaply though. Not if you want the complete package.

The collection we have now would be fine if we could combine skills. Unfortunately, the individuals who have range don't have judgement (Cave) or the ones who have judgement don't have an arm (Granite) or the ones with an arm don't have CF range (Wade, IMO), and the ones who do have all those defensive skills/talents either can't lay off breaking pitches in the dirt (Buxton) or are needed at an even more pressing position (Lewis).

We have a bunch of almost-maybes. Buxton remains our best hope, if he can shake off being cross-eyed from repeated concussions. But we're embarrassingly thin at the position.

• Mike Sixel, Riverbrian, wsnydes and 1 other like this

A painter should not paint what he sees, but what will be seen.-- Paul Valery

#33 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,504 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 07:52 AM

They either shouldn't be on the roster or you need a new manager with the ability to trust.  

Concur; especially with the latter.

#MolitorNeedsToGo

• Riverbrian likes this

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#34 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 07:54 AM

Molitor may "go" on his own but he will never be sent. He fits the mold of a Minnesota Twins manager perfectly. Rapidly becoming one of the worst run franchises in professional sports. Watching the Atlanta Braves beat Washington last night was so refreshing. Braves have a parade of fresh faces plus a real veteran first baseman in Freeman who can flat play the game. My guess is that every one of these players, including Freeman at some point, were probably available to the Twins. Again, where is the 2016 number 1 pick in all of MLB and why is his name never mentioned in 2019 plans, if not 2018? Will he even be called up during the ridiculous roster expansion in September? Never could understand that since that is crunch time and should be decided by the core team; not exhibition teams.

1.) Ummm, have you met the Marlins? The Padres? The Reds? The Twins have their warts but you're just being negative, per usual.

2) The 2016 #1 pick is Mickey Moniak and he's with the Phillies, not hitting in High A ball. I guess the Twins could try to trade for him but he's not that great a prospect so not sure why they world.

3.) The Braves were awful for years. They now are on the upswing. That's the way things go. In two years the Twins will be on the upswing hopefully. Not sure how you want the Twins to somehow fast forward time. Rebuilding takes time.

• Puckett34 likes this

#35 djvang

djvang

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 07:59 AM

Can't watch the bottom of the 9th on the road anymore. Too predictable.

• 70charger likes this

#36 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,451 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:21 AM

1.) Ummm, have you met the Marlins? The Padres? The Reds? The Twins have their warts but you're just being negative, per usual.

2) The 2016 #1 pick is Mickey Moniak and he's with the Phillies, not hitting in High A ball. I guess the Twins could try to trade for him but he's not that great a prospect so not sure why they world.

3.) The Braves were awful for years. They now are on the upswing. That's the way things go. In two years the Twins will be on the upswing hopefully. Not sure how you want the Twins to somehow fast forward time. Rebuilding takes time.

The Twins haven’t won a playoff game in 16 years. If rebuilding takes that long, you’re doing something wrong.

What indications are there that this FO is committed to rebuilding? If, as you say, the Twins won’t be on the upswing for two more years, why wouldn’t they have traded Kyle Gibson - who possibly could have brought in a blue chip prospect to build around? Why are Matt Belisle, Fernando Rodney, Logan Morrison, Logan Forsythe, Jake Odorizzi and Robbie Grossman still rostered and playing (until injury sidelined some of them)?

None of them figure to be around in 2020. Rebuilding to me (and to most) means tearing it all down and starting at square one. There is zero indication that this FO is committed to that nor has there been since they were hired. Indeed, their plan seems to be to tread water and be satisfied being borderline competitive in a weak division.
  • Mike Sixel and ewen21 like this

#37 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,928 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:47 AM

Interesting.

If you are saying that “if Buxton doesn’t hit next year”. Rosters will be set and it will be much harder to find one that does. I think the Twins should be looking right now and into the off season for someone who can man the position in case “Buxton doesn’t hit next year”.

Interesting indeed.
  • Jerr likes this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#38 wsnydes

wsnydes

Winter baseball enthusiast

• Members
  • 3,408 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:54 AM

I realize that Forsythe isn't high on the list of concerns for this club. He's played well here, I'll definitely give him credit there. My issue is that he's playing every day. Why isn't Adrianza playing 2B to at least see if he can back up his good streak with the bat when he was playing every day. Unless Gordon finishes hot and has a hot spring, he's not going to be on the active roster come the start of next season. Forsythe isn't the future answer, Adrianza is at least signed for next year so why not give him a run there?

Molitor's refusal to actually try to build up the young guys continues to irk me. Just another reason why I don't believe that he's the right fit here.

• Mike Sixel, 70charger, rghrbek and 1 other like this

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." - Meat 

#39 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,238 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 09:01 AM

I realize that Forsythe isn't high on the list of concerns for this club. He's played well here, I'll definitely give him credit there. My issue is that he's playing every day. Why isn't Adrianza playing 2B to at least see if he can back up his good streak with the bat when he was playing every day. Unless Gordon finishes hot and has a hot spring, he's not going to be on the active roster come the start of next season. Forsythe isn't the future answer, Adrianza is at least signed for next year so why not give him a run there?

Because Adrianza has to be available to pinch-hit for Johnny Field, obviously!

Now Field may not be here next year either, but what do you expect Molitor to do, consider the future of multiple lineup spots simultaneously? While grieving over Belisle's knee?
  • Mike Sixel, 70charger, rghrbek and 1 other like this

#40 SwainZag

SwainZag

• Members
  • 1,898 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 09 August 2018 - 09:05 AM

Molitor's refusal to actually try to build up the young guys continues to irk me. Just another reason why I don't believe that he's the right fit here.

I would say because Adrianza is the only viable backup for all the infield positions, so he is being used in a utilityrole.Let's be honest with ourselves here, Adrianza will be 29 next week and we know what he is.A light hitting, glove first infielder.If he were 23 and shown signs with his bat at any level, I would get this gripe, but eh...

• USAFChief likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: miguel sano, trevor hildneberger, max kepler