Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins Daily Roundtable: Prospect Promotions

stephen gonsalves brent rooker fernando romero nick gordon
  • Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 923 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 02:34 PM

What about Odorizzi's spot on the roster? I know he's under control, but has been underwhelming almost all season. Can barely get 5 innings done. 

Part of me believes there is a disconnect. Lynn has pitched well for NYY. I wouldn't be surprised if Odorizzi did elsewhere too.

#22 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 02:43 PM

Instead of jumping the gun with Rooker, anyone in favor of signing Hanley to a 1 year deal next year? And we can always flip him at the deadline if need be.

#23 slash129

slash129

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 02:53 PM

Gonna get #1 out of the way right away. NICK GORDON. Not deserving as he has taken a nose dive. But you need to see just how bad he can play (or good). It goes a long way into making a decision on second base or shortstop in the coming season. If he looks overmatched and MAY NOT be the second coming at second, then you know. Stashing him in the minors and hoping he shines is not the game to play. Playing him is the game.

wRC+ of 43 in AAA isn't bad enough for you?

• howieramone2 and SF Twins Fan like this

#24 slash129

slash129

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 03:01 PM

Instead of jumping the gun with Rooker, anyone in favor of signing Hanley to a 1 year deal next year? And we can always flip him at the deadline if need be.

If you want an immune-compromised person to get better, would you inject them with cancerous lymphocytes?

#25 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 03:10 PM

What about Odorizzi's spot on the roster? I know he's under control, but has been underwhelming almost all season. Can barely get 5 innings done. 

Part of me believes there is a disconnect. Lynn has pitched well for NYY. I wouldn't be surprised if Odorizzi did elsewhere too.

Except I guess for Tampa Bay, since he had worse peripherals last year than he does this year. If you want to look at facts and all that.

If you ain't got no haters, you ain't poppin'.

#26 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 13,794 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 03:14 PM

I think you missed one MUST ADD, Brusdar Graterol. So that takes it up to 10. Doubt they will be adding 10.

I think Graterol is like Alcala -- Roster Resource has them mistakenly eligible this winter. They both signed after the conclusion of their minor league seasons in 2014, and were 18 or younger on the preceding June 5. Thus, neither should be eligible until their 5th Rule 5 draft beginning in 2015, which would be 2019.
  • 70charger, Jham and MN_ExPat like this

#27 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 13,794 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 03:16 PM

Flip him to the same teams clamoring for his services this summer?

#28 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 03:21 PM

The first choice to bring up is clearly Romero. If we are counting on him in the rotation next year, he needs to be here. Gonsalves and Littel or Slegers.

Rooker is a player we want up, but it makes too much sense to wait.

Would like to see some bullpen pitchers up. Not too picky but two or three deserving pitchers.

We will bring back Mauer and Rodney the other three are gone (Forsythe, Belisle, and Santanta) i can see us signing Forsythe to a minor league contract with spring invite.

Our rotation for next season is shaping up to be: Berrios, Gibson, Pineda, Odorizzi, Mejia with Gonsalves, Slegers, Littel, Thorpe, and Stewart so dont be surprised if a deal is made between the end of this season and the end of spring training for Odorizzi. We may not have the best rotation but we sure lead the league in depth starters available.

I can also see us keeping Grossman as he does have a league average bat and high OBP. Or high enough for a bench bat.
  • howieramone2 likes this

#29 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 923 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 03:50 PM

I can also see us keeping Grossman as he does have a league average bat and high OBP. Or high enough for a bench bat.

Only as a bench bat/DH. His OF is so brutal. I just don't know if the Twins will have room for that. They always carry too many pitchers.

#30 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,326 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 08 August 2018 - 04:03 PM

"They're not ready".

I hear that over and over and over and over. From supposed professional execs to paid journalists to blog writers to fans.... etc etc. And it is all BS. The Dereck Rodriguez and JT Chargois stories unfolding in real time prove that talk is ever so cheap. The only way you know someone is ready is to give them the opportunity, and see what happens. So much time can be wasted by keeping a talent down, just because one thinks they are so smart. All the suspects are ready. Let them prove they aren't by getting them some playing time instead of a Matt Belisle or Jake Ordorizzi or Logan Morrison, and even a Rodney. And a Grossman and Wilson. Especially now that the towel has been thrown in on yet another season. Waiting and patience are so highly overrated.

Edited by h2oface, 08 August 2018 - 04:11 PM.

• Steve Lein, Mr. Ed and MN_ExPat like this

#31 ajstolt_09

ajstolt_09

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 04:45 PM

If Romero, Gonsalves, and that hoard of bullpen guys don't all get significant run in the next month and a half, I'll be shocked!! The bullpen guys deserve a long enough chance to fight through the struggles they might have, and Romeo and Gonsalves are going to be part of what the rotation is built on in the next few years. Get their feet wet this year so next year they can jump right in in the deep end.

#32 FormerMinnasotan

FormerMinnasotan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 604 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 04:45 PM

Well Romero, Gonsalves, and Littell should for sure be called up to the Twins.

Rooker and Thorpe makes sense to be at least promoted to AAA given their recent stretches of good play. By doing that it could put Rooker and Thorpe in a better position to be called up to the Twins next year.

#33 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 05:32 PM

I'll chip in:

GONSALVES DAMMIT!

• Twins33 and MN_ExPat like this

#34 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 3,872 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 08 August 2018 - 06:21 PM

Twins already know Fernando Romero is a future starter, so he's okay in AAA for the remainder, where they can work on his command a bit more, then shut him down to save that arm.

Gonsalves for sure, and Rooker for sure. Make room by DFA'ing LoMo and Belisle. 

Leave Gordon in AAA to work on pitch recognition and pump iron. Possible late September callup. Same schedule for Kohl Stewart, who may need a cuppa to keep his hopes up. 

Here's why the Twins shouldn't have traded for any players on the 40. Bringing up Wade means releasing one of those guys. 

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#35 curt1965

curt1965

• Members
  • 715 posts
  • LocationLuverne, Minnesota

Posted 08 August 2018 - 07:45 PM

I’ll be extremely disappointed if it’s not Gonsalves. He has watched everyone else get a chance this year because of his inability to avoid walks. And I also think he needs more than a couple starts in September.
I’d be really happy to see him take Odarizzi’s spot in the rotation.

And please, no more Grossman next year. We can do better!
  • 70charger likes this

#36 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 923 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 07:46 PM

Except I guess for Tampa Bay, since he had worse peripherals last year than he does this year. If you want to look at facts and all that.

Fact: Odorizzi threw 101 pitches in 4.2 innings tonight. Zero Strikeouts

Fact: Odorizzi hascompleted more than five innings in only 1/3 of his starts. 
Peripherals? Who cares? The guy is a bullpen killer every time out.

• h2oface and Danchat like this

#37 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,575 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 08 August 2018 - 08:09 PM

Austin is out of options.Ramirez is 2 years removed from being a league average player and he is Mauer's age.I have no issue if they sign him to a minor league contract with a ST invitation to see if he can get his act together and compete for 2 spots with Rooker and Austin...

The Red Sox could not flip him this season...

Edited by Thrylos, 08 August 2018 - 08:09 PM.

• Danchat likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#38 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 08:16 PM

I know this FO loves the guys that they pick up but I do not want to see Austin jump in front of Rooker.Gonsalves should already be up.I want to see lots of movement, lots of young players.I do not care if the just cut Morrison and lose money, he has already cost them.I do not care if they lose Santana for nothing, cut him.Move on.Even out best season in the last 7 is not good enough.Quit hanging on to the question marks.Test the young guys and don't wait for September.

#39 rdehring

rdehring

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 581 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 05:25 AM

I think Graterol is like Alcala -- Roster Resource has them mistakenly eligible this winter. They both signed after the conclusion of their minor league seasons in 2014, and were 18 or younger on the preceding June 5. Thus, neither should be eligible until their 5th Rule 5 draft beginning in 2015, which would be 2019.

I see Graterol is listed as signing on August 29.The DSL season was probably over by a couple days, most minor league seasons in the U.S. weren't.Do they use the DSL season for these signings?  

#40 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 18,895 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 09 August 2018 - 06:21 AM

I know this FO loves the guys that they pick up but I do not want to see Austin jump in front of Rooker. 

Rooker is this FO's guy too, having drafted him in '17. Austin is a full 3 years older, plus even more pro experience as a HS-draftee, and is major league ready if he'll ever be. If the FO has any qualms about Rooker being ready, I see no problem with Austin having the first crack at it.

And if this proves to be a mistake in judgement, Rooker will beat down the door quickly enough next year.

• Twins33, PseudoSABR, howieramone2 and 1 other like this

Modesty, n.: Being comfortable that others will discover your greatness.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: stephen gonsalves, brent rooker, fernando romero, nick gordon