Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Back to the 50's (2013)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Whatchamacallit is the Best Candy Bar

• Members
  • 1,948 posts
  • LocationKerguelen Island

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:46 PM

After reading some things about Roger Clemens lately. I believe there might be a chance we have two 50 year old major league baseball players who are activated on a MLB roster at the same time in 2013. This would be a first (if my information gathering is correct).

The other player would be Jamie Moyer. I have not seen anything that indicates he wants to call it quits and I feel fairly confident some MLB team will throw him an invite to Spring Training, after that anything could happen?

As a baseball fan, I would hate to see a Clemens return, but it is appearing that the conditions will be right for that to happen with the Houston Astros. They are jumping to the American League and their team is pretty awful. Getting a home state hero like Clemens - might put more rear ends in the seats. In fact, I feel like this is a done deal - it will happen. Moyer is the wild card.

I understand this topic is somewhat meaningless, but I thought I'd throw it out there. Maybe someone has something interesting to say about it.

#2 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:05 PM

Clemens has had mediocre velocity and hasn't even been striking out indy ball guys. If he's in Houston, it will be very, very bad.

The interesting thing is that he's eligible for HOF voting this offseason, however with a ballot that will have a lot of steroid talk going, he may try to duck it to avoid such controversy. You have Bonds, Piazza, and Sosa also first ballot this year along with holdovers Bagwell, McGwire, and Palmeiro with steroid stuff surrounding them (not all deservedly).
Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

#3 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:21 PM

Clemens has had mediocre velocity and hasn't even been striking out indy ball guys. If he's in Houston, it will be very, very bad.

The interesting thing is that he's eligible for HOF voting this offseason, however with a ballot that will have a lot of steroid talk going, he may try to duck it to avoid such controversy. You have Bonds, Piazza, and Sosa also first ballot this year along with holdovers Bagwell, McGwire, and Palmeiro with steroid stuff surrounding them (not all deservedly).

I think, if I am reading what you wrote correctly is that a Clemens return could push back his HOF eligibilty. It would be a wise play on his part as there is no way he will be voted in for the 2013 class. Some say people have a short memory, and that may be true with most situations, but I do not think people will forget the Clemens debacle. Meaning no HOF for Clemens ever.

Who do think gets in next year? My guess is Piazza for sure - 50/50 on Bagwell.

#4 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:35 PM

Next year is a good class, but controversial with the following first timers (in order of who I think will get in first ballot): Piazza, Biggio, Bonds, Clemens, Sosa, and Schilling.

Then, the 2014 class: Maddux, Glavine, Frank Thomas, and Jeff Kent/Mike Mussina (don't think they get in, but good arguments for each)

The 2015 class: Randy Johnson, Pedro, Smoltz, Sheffield

The 2016 class: Griffey, Jr., Hoffman, Billy Wagner

You can make an argument that 3 will make it each year from first timers, meaning if Clemens doesn't make it this year, he could sit on the ballot for 3+ years, which is not something his ego would be able to handle, so I could see him coming back to play a season and push back his eligibility another 5 years.

#5 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:49 PM

Next year is a good class, but controversial with the following first timers (in order of who I think will get in first ballot): Piazza, Biggio, Bonds, Clemens, Sosa, and Schilling.

Then, the 2014 class: Maddux, Glavine, Frank Thomas, and Jeff Kent/Mike Mussina (don't think they get in, but good arguments for each)

The 2015 class: Randy Johnson, Pedro, Smoltz, Sheffield

The 2016 class: Griffey, Jr., Hoffman, Billy Wagner

You can make an argument that 3 will make it each year from first timers, meaning if Clemens doesn't make it this year, he could sit on the ballot for 3+ years, which is not something his ego would be able to handle, so I could see him coming back to play a season and push back his eligibility another 5 years.

Oops forgot about Biggio.

My guesses:

2013: Piazza, Biggio
2014: Maddux, Glavine, Big Hurt (maybe Jim Kaat?)
2015: Big Unit, Pedro Martinez, Smoltz
2016: Hoffman, Bagwell, and last but not least KG Jr.

Kent and Wagner will get in eventually.

#6 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:05 PM

Kaat is off the ballot. He has to be a veteran's committee choice now. Just like Jack Morris. He has 2 more years on the ballot, then he's a veteran's committee choice only.

#7 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:09 PM

Kaat is off the ballot. He has to be a veteran's committee choice now. Just like Jack Morris. He has 2 more years on the ballot, then he's a veteran's committee choice only.

I think Kaat is up for the VC in 2014. I am aware he is not on the regular HOF ballot.:)

#8 J-Dog Dungan

J-Dog Dungan

• Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:11 PM

Seems even more likely that they sign him since they will be sharing Texas with eternal runners-up in the World Series Texas Rangers.

#9 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:14 PM

Seems even more likely that they sign him since they will be sharing Texas with eternal runners-up in the World Series Texas Rangers.

Duhr???

#10 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:17 PM

My bad. I thought I was on the "Fred McGriff" thread. I do believe he attempts to pitch for the Astros next season and the organization fully supports it (owner Jim Crane).