Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Dozier, Escobar and Pressly: Legacies of Self-Made Stars

brian dozier eduardo escobar ryan pressly
  • Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,143 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 07:31 AM

I don't know, aren't there good teams every year that find a way to bring their players along through struggles even while they are contending? Cleveland stuck with Lonnie Chisenhall and Trevor Bauer.Arizona stuck with Peralta.If I wanted to keep digging I'm sure I could come up with some more.

Patience is so key with development and sometimes the immediate sacrifices can be worth it.

They can definitely do it with one, maybe two, players. I'm not sure they can just throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks with 4-5 players as they did in past years.

#22 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,143 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 07:35 AM

Casilla…. there's a name I haven't though of in a while... speaking of this theme and unwarranted patience. Didn't he replace Luis Rivas. 

Yep. If we want to rip Casilla, remember that he was actually a much better player than the guy he replaced.

#23 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:20 AM

Yep. If we want to rip Casilla, remember that he was actually a much better player than the guy he replaced.

Luis Castillo. No. Luis Rivas and Nick Punto, before that, yes.

• ashburyjohn and USAFChief like this

#24 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,143 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:51 AM

Luis Castillo. No. Luis Rivas and Nick Punto, before that, yes.

True. I forgot about that half season of Castillo.

#25 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,743 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:58 AM

They can definitely do it with one, maybe two, players. I'm not sure they can just throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks with 4-5 players as they did in past years.

True, but you can find at-bats for players.The problem is staying through the struggles.

But hell, we've seen the Twins struggle with that even when they're terrible.That's the part that bugs me the most - stop giving 600 ABs to your clubhouse veterans or noteworthy innings to your Belisles when there are players to be putting out there and investing in.

I don't see why.There is literally no upside in spending your available opportunities on those dudes.You want to spend a roster spot so your clubhouse has a good Jedi/Padawan feel?Fine.But stop taking away the playing time of players you might have a future in.

Edited by TheLeviathan, 09 August 2018 - 08:59 AM.

• Brock Beauchamp and gocgo like this

#26 gocgo

gocgo

• Members
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 09:05 AM

Great article and I do like the "prospects" that we got back.I'm not wild about getting guys that are 30+ years old and plugging them in to the MLB lineup.If we have (and we have) given up on the season, then doesn't it make more sense to see what some of the younger guys can do?I'm hoping to see some of them in September.Perhaps there are service time considerations, but I'm not sure we are in a position where that should be a priority.The three players listed represent what one can do if given the opportunity.How many guys in our minor league system just need that opportunity?

Mind your own biscuits and life will be gravy.

#27 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 13,794 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 09:08 AM

True. I forgot about that half season of Castillo.

Season and a half! Castillo was our everyday second baseman in 2006, then again through July 2007.

#28 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 09:19 AM

True, but you can find at-bats for players.The problem is staying through the struggles.

But hell, we've seen the Twins struggle with that even when they're terrible.That's the part that bugs me the most - stop giving 600 ABs to your clubhouse veterans or noteworthy innings to your Belisles when there are players to be putting out there and investing in.

I don't see why.There is literally no upside in spending your available opportunities on those dudes.You want to spend a roster spot so your clubhouse has a good Jedi/Padawan feel?Fine.But stop taking away the playing time of players you might have a future in.

Right on, brother. Let's forget the illusion that this team can or will contend in 2018 and play for 2019-2020. If there was any doubt , it's gone now with us losing 4 of 6 to the Indians. I start there, but then I wonder how much else there really is to do. I will say the the FO has started the moves with Moya up getting Duke's old innings.We need to keep the replacement train rolling but are there really that many options?.Sooo, these we can and should do...

Morrison - gone and replaced by Austin, with Rooker getting some ABs in September. 

Belisle - gone, replaced by either Drake or Busenitz. (in other words, never back from the DL).

But then it gets tough...

WIlson - gone and replaced by ....., hmmm, never mind...

Santana- gone? Don't we need to see if he's a viable 3rd or 4th starter next year?

Odorizzi - trade him and replace him with Romero or Gonsalves ? Yeah, probably but we won't get much for him and he is a servicable back end starter. Those guys don't grow on trees for the Twins. 

Forsythe - replace him with who, exactly?Gordon isn't burning up AAA and Forsythe is performing well, at least right now. Probably need to see if he can be the one year 2B stopgap for next year. 

Rodney - trade him and replace him with Busenitz as the closer?Maybe...

That's about it. I'd love to replace vets with promising young players - we just don't have that many promising young players ready for the bigs and most of those we do have are already here - Kepler, Sano, Polanco, Rosario (already established by this point?), Hildenberger, Moya, May, Rogers, Mejia, Berrios (already established). Maybe one could include Cave in that group, maybe. 

So, I love your premise and fire and I love the idea of replacing vets with younger guys NOW.I just only really see 2 immediate moves - replacing Morrison and Belisle - and 2 possible moves if trades are made of Rodney and Odorizzi.Maybe we just are what we are and the major hope is to play the young guys we already have up every day. Maybe the FO has already done what we want on this to the extent they can, once the get rid of Morrison. 

Edited by LA VIkes Fan, 09 August 2018 - 09:22 AM.

• TheLeviathan likes this

#29 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 10:43 AM

If Busenitz is next in line for closer, this team is in serious trouble.

#30 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,743 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 02:08 PM

So, I love your premise and fire and I love the idea of replacing vets with younger guys NOW.I just only really see 2 immediate moves - replacing Morrison and Belisle - and 2 possible moves if trades are made of Rodney and Odorizzi.Maybe we just are what we are and the major hope is to play the young guys we already have up every day. Maybe the FO has already done what we want on this to the extent they can, once the get rid of Morrison. 

Yes, certainly, that is a problem right now.  

#31 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 03:26 PM

If Busenitz is next in line for closer, this team is in serious trouble.

Busenitz is closing in AAA. I don'rt see a lot of other options. Pineda (next year)?Think they want him as a starter.No one in the Twins BP comes to mind as even a remote possibility. Curtiss?Not a good option. Maybe that's why they want to keep Rodney.... 

#32 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,143 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 07:55 PM

Season and a half! Castillo was our everyday second baseman in 2006, then again through July 2007.

Right!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brian dozier, eduardo escobar, ryan pressly