Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

2019 1B options

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#121 MN_ExPat

MN_ExPat

I had fun once... It was awful.

• Members
  • 270 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia (the state, not the country)

Posted 10 August 2018 - 07:23 AM

Exactly

I love Joe and I think he can help us win ball games in 2019 and would be happy to have him back. 

However... he can end up hurting us more than he helps us if he is not managed correctly and right now... I see no indication that he will be managed correctly. 

The chain reaction would be things like:

Joe comes back

Molitor hands Joe the 1B job and deploys him like he did this year. Joe plays everyday apart from his regularly scheduled days of rest

As a result... Tyler Austin takes over the Logan Morrison role as the primary DH with 1B on Joe's regularly scheduled days of rest. 

As a result... The option of Playing Sano at DH is greatly reduced. 

As a result... Sano plays much less 1B and DH which forces Sano into the everyday 3B job. Which prevents us from signing or trading for a different 3B such as Donaldson or Escobar or whoever. 

In addition... This prevents Kepler being utilized as a 1B on occasion.

As a result of that... You don't sign a 4th outfielder because you don't have space due to the lack of OF Flexibility to accommodate the 4th OF or potential Jake Cave playing time goes unrewarded if he is producing. 

After it is all said done... you've just repeated the same mistake made in 2016 and 2018 by limiting your options.

And yes... all of this can stem from simply bringing back Joe... who I love. 

Until we get a manager who can manage 25 guys better than they were managed this year. I see problems with Joe on the roster in 2019 and that's a shame because I think he can help us win games. 

Awesome wright up River. Well said.

• Riverbrian likes this

#122 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:59 AM

I'm only ok with resigning Mauer if he's essentially a stop-gap until Rooker or some other long-term option is available.

He's just not productive enough at this point to justify a roster spot.But I don't give him a contract longer than a year and probably not for more than 6-7M.

I actually think this is the plan. Look how things are playing out. First we got Morrison, another LH hitting 1B,with an option to next year.Worth a shot, turns out last year's Morrison appears to have been an aberration. I'm guessing he won't be here next month, much less next year. The we trade Lynn, a starter who had some real value despite some of the comments here, for Tyler Austin and a prospect. according to the Strib, Austin is on his way to MN as we speak. He will now get a shot at the 1B/Dh job. Rooker will get his cup of coffee in September despite the 40 man issues. Now we have a good handle on next year. 

I think Mauer is back next year on a 5-10m deal (the number doesn't really matter) as the LH half of a DH/1B/3B group with Sano, Austin and hopefully Esobar. Mauer plays 125 games. There are no decent free agents out there other than Escobar, who I'd love to see them sign as a 2B/3B/DH.Forsythe stays on a 2 year deal (3 if you have to), plays 130-140 games. Mauer and Forsythe help bridge the gap to Rooker and Lewis, with Gordon as insurance. Yes, I said Lewis. He starts in AA next year and gets an injury related or September call up in 2019 and is an everyday option in 2020. Mauer retires after 2019, Forsythe is either traded or becomes a bench guy in 2020. 

That's how this should go IMHO. 

• ashburyjohn and Mike Sixel like this

#123 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 21,455 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 10 August 2018 - 04:19 PM

I actually think this is the plan. Look how things are playing out. First we got Morrison, another LH hitting 1B,with an option to next year.Worth a shot, turns out last year's Morrison appears to have been an aberration. I'm guessing he won't be here next month, much less next year. The we trade Lynn, a starter who had some real value despite some of the comments here, for Tyler Austin and a prospect. according to the Strib, Austin is on his way to MN as we speak. He will now get a shot at the 1B/Dh job. Rooker will get his cup of coffee in September despite the 40 man issues. Now we have a good handle on next year. 

I think Mauer is back next year on a 5-10m deal (the number doesn't really matter) as the LH half of a DH/1B/3B group with Sano, Austin and hopefully Esobar. Mauer plays 125 games. There are no decent free agents out there other than Escobar, who I'd love to see them sign as a 2B/3B/DH.Forsythe stays on a 2 year deal (3 if you have to), plays 130-140 games. Mauer and Forsythe help bridge the gap to Rooker and Lewis, with Gordon as insurance. Yes, I said Lewis. He starts in AA next year and gets an injury related or September call up in 2019 and is an everyday option in 2020. Mauer retires after 2019, Forsythe is either traded or becomes a bench guy in 2020. 

That's how this should go IMHO. 

I can't imagine Forsythe back in 2019. 

• Sconnie likes this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#124 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 04:45 PM

I can't imagine Forsythe back in 2019.

A lot of people probably couldn’t have imagined that Belisle would be back this year.
  • USAFChief, Mike Sixel, Twins33 and 1 other like this