Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

2019 1B options

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#21 ptdt430

ptdt430

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 06:04 PM

Where this team currently stands (not the standings and no pun intended) this should be one of the more simple decisions the front office has to make.  If Mauer wants to come back (for less money of course) they should quickly sign him and move on to the question marks they have at the following positions; catcher, third base, second base, DH, bullpen and 2 starting rotation slots.  As long as he is physically able to why wouldn't we bring back a gold glove caliber first base player who has a career BA over .305.  I'm not concerned about power numbers with Joe.  If Sano can actually play a full season at one position without the drama of his weight or injuries then at some point down the line look at move him over to first, for next year and even 2020, let Mauer play it.

• scottz, SwainZag, LA VIkes Fan and 2 others like this

#22 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,481 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 06:18 PM

Where this team currently stands (not the standings and no pun intended) this should be one of the more simple decisions the front office has to make.  If Mauer wants to come back (for less money of course) they should quickly sign him and move on to the question marks they have at the following positions; catcher, third base, second base, DH, bullpen and 2 starting rotation slots.  As long as he is physically able to why wouldn't we bring back a gold glove caliber first base player who has a career BA over .305.  I'm not concerned about power numbers with Joe.  If Sano can actually play a full season at one position without the drama of his weight or injuries then at some point down the line look at move him over to first, for next year and even 2020, let Mauer play it.

Since you asked....his career BA is not relevant at age 36. He's not good compared to other 1B in the majors. He's not getting younger or better or likely to play any position than 1B. There are other options, that might be better. 

The real question is why keep him.

Mauer was a great player, one of my favorite to watch hit when he was younger. But, imo, it's time to move on.

Edited by Mike Sixel, 07 August 2018 - 06:27 PM.

• Dman, birddog, d-mac and 2 others like this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#23 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 06:37 PM

I expect they will sign him for about $10mm or $12mm, and he will platoon with Tyler Austin about 50/50. While Joe isn’t getting any younger, his skill (hitting line drives) ages pretty well. He’s going to be able to hit those same line drives for at least five more years. I’m sure he wants to win a championship with the Twins, and I think the team will be competitive for one next year. He may turn out to be an exceptional pinch hitter for a contending team next year. Plus, he is an excellent defender.

I think the only question is...1 year or two?
  • Kelly Vance, SF Twins Fan and rdehring like this

#24 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 12,297 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 07 August 2018 - 06:48 PM

The team needs a 1B and a DH for next year, and as such I have to think Austin will be a lock to be on the team. He's young enough where he could still break out, and don't forget he was a top 100 prospect at one time. I'm not sure how high I'd put those odds, as he's been about league average an what has always been a very strong Yankee's lineup, but I wouldn't write him off either. I'd be OK with Mauer as a bench bat, but I'm not sure I want him starting, and I do fear that if he resigns, he will be doing just that.

Rooker is mid-2019 at the earliest. 

I think they need at least one FA not named Mauer. I'd probably push hard for Cruz. Wouldn't mind Adams either. 

• MN_ExPat likes this

#25 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:19 PM

I'm am personally offering you an invitation to join the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club.

Eventually, we will have exclusive jackets made.:)

I actually am in favor of positional flexibility, but imo, I believe Kepler’s defense (especially his familiarity with the wall) in RF outweighs any extra bat that could be moved into the lineup.

If you wanna talk about positional flexibility, start with playing Rosario at 2nd, 3rd, and DH more often.
  • Riverbrian likes this

#26 ken

ken

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:41 PM

I'd like to see them get some power from the position. Having Dozier hitting 30 homers from second base helped offset Mauer's production. But next year you are going to need power production from first with Dozier gone.
  • Riverbrian and birddog like this

#27 brvama

brvama

• Members
  • 499 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:46 PM

Regarding Kepler at first, iirc he played 1B in the minors. So he should very well be in the mix.

#28 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 08:28 PM

Regarding Kepler at first, iirc he played 1B in the minors. So he should very well be in the mix.

I thought he did a couple times at the MLB level as well. I could be mistaken. I knew he played there in the minors. That was why I suggested it. The key, of course, is to play him there in ST next year. At 6’4”, he provides a nice target as well. It’s been a long time since the Twins have had even a semi-regular left handed thrower play first, but it does make many plays easier. Throws to second, pick off catches and it allows you to face the incoming runner on a routine ground ball, as opposed to having your back to him being a righty thrower. I think Ortiz was the last. There have been some that have played a handful here and there, but I’d bet he was the last lefty thrower to play even 30 games in a season at first.
  • brvama, Riverbrian, Dman and 2 others like this

#29 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 10:25 PM

I agree with this even though I fully expect Escobar and Machado won't happen. 

The organization will let Joe do whatever he wants and I'm 99% sure he will want to return for another season.....Unfortunately. He really needs to retire in dignity and the time is now.

I am confident that Falvine will not co-mingle decisions about Mauer, Machado and Escobar. 

#30 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 10:41 PM

If Joe wants to play another year, he will. Get used to the idea. The Twins know how important he is to the team. I am going to enjoy watching him play. 

• SwainZag, PseudoSABR, jimmer and 3 others like this

#31 3balls2strikes

3balls2strikes

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 11:29 PM

Joe Mauer has to be one of the most overrated players ever. He has to rank near the bottom when it comes to being clutch, that is delivering a big hit when the game is on the line. His leadership skills consist of being able to point to the location of the nearest bathroom. When a team's senior veteran leaves the gaping leadership hole that Mauer does, it ripples throughout the clubhouse and has a negative impact. Kirby Puckett was a leader. When he grounded out in a game winning situation, he clearly was frustrated and disappointed, showed it and you could tell next time he would try even harder. When Mauer grounds out in a game winning situation, he trots to first base and shows no emotion, like he could care less and all he's thinking about is what kind of toppings he'll sprinkle on his salad after the game. It is high time Mr. Mauer rode off into the sunset and enjoyed his much undeserved reputation as a great baseball player. 

"Touch 'em all Kirby Puckett! Touch 'em all Kirby Puckett!" - John Gordon

#32 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,764 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 08 August 2018 - 05:18 AM

I'm am personally offering you an invitation to join the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club.

Eventually, we will have exclusive jackets made. :)

is it by invitation only? Or is there an application I can fill out? I wanna join the BPPFC!
  • Riverbrian and MN_ExPat like this

#33 Major Leauge Ready

Major Leauge Ready

• Members
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 05:26 AM

If you believe Josh Donaldson has some miles left in him, we could sign him and move Sano to 1B. However, unless my eyes deceive me, Sano is moving quite a bit better having lost some weight. What will he look like another 20lbs lighter? He would be a huge asset if he can be be slightly above average defensively at 3B. That arm will help in getting to that level.

#34 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 05:30 AM

Joe Mauer has to be one of the most overrated players ever. He has to rank near the bottom when it comes to being clutch, that is delivering a big hit when the game is on the line. His leadership skills consist of being able to point to the location of the nearest bathroom. When a team's senior veteran leaves the gaping leadership hole that Mauer does, it ripples throughout the clubhouse and has a negative impact. Kirby Puckett was a leader. When he grounded out in a game winning situation, he clearly was frustrated and disappointed, showed it and you could tell next time he would try even harder. When Mauer grounds out in a game winning situation, he trots to first base and shows no emotion, like he could care less and all he's thinking about is what kind of toppings he'll sprinkle on his salad after the game. It is high time Mr. Mauer rode off into the sunset and enjoyed his much undeserved reputation as a great baseball player.

I can’t tell if you are trolling or not, to be honest, but Joe’s career numbers with runners in scoring position are:

.334 / .459 / .475 / .934

With 2 outs and RISP:

.324 / .474 / .478 / .951

In “late and close” situations (7th inning or later, game within a run) his batting average is significantly lower, but he still gets on base more than 40% of the time:

.277 / .403 / .405 / .808

So, I’m ok with Mauer at the plate in clutch situations, but that’s just me.

You are correct that he doesn’t show a ton of emotion on the field, but at this point, isn’t that pretty well established?
  • Mike Sixel, scottz, Twins33 and 13 others like this

#35 Major Leauge Ready

Major Leauge Ready

• Members
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 05:38 AM

No doubt there is value in a player being a great leader but who says leadership has to come from the best player. Was leadership considered (with any weight) in the recent class of HoF inductees? I seriously doubt it. Being a great leader is a plus but not a primary component in ranking the relative greatness of players, IMO. 

He does not have the bat to be a 1B in this late stage of his career but he certainly was great as a catcher and you have to give the man props for taking on a new position and becoming great defensively. 

• Dman and SF Twins Fan like this

#36 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 05:40 AM

For comparison sake, here are Brian Dozier’s “late and close” stats:

.197 .294 .317 .611

Eddie Rosario:

.268 .311 .479 .790

Miguel Sano:

.247 .338 .459 .797

Eduardo Escobar

.218 .290 .339 .629

Max Kepler

.209 .301 .367 .668

Who, exactly, would you rather have up in clutch situations, exactly?
  • scottz, Twins33, Oldgoat_MN and 5 others like this

#37 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,415 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 08 August 2018 - 05:47 AM

is it by invitation only? Or is there an application I can fill out? I wanna join the BPPFC!

I'm sorry. People from Wis... 

Just kidding... You're In!!!

• Sconnie and MN_ExPat like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#38 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 21,455 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 08 August 2018 - 09:21 AM

If Joe wants to play another year, he will. Get used to the idea. The Twins know how important he is to the team. I am going to enjoy watching him play.

It shouldn't be up to "Joe" whether or not he plays.

And while he once was important to the Twins in terms of winning, that's no longer the case. He contributes very little to winning.

If you just enjoy watching him play, fine. But if you want to watch the Twins win, they need to find a better, and full time, first baseman.
  • Mike Sixel, KGB, rghrbek and 1 other like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#39 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 18,895 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 08 August 2018 - 09:32 AM

Was leadership considered (with any weight) in the recent class of HoF inductees? I seriously doubt it.

This comes up every now and then. The HoF voters are free to vote as they wish, but here are the instructions they are given every year (my emphasis added):

5. Voting: Voting shall be based upon the player's record, playing ability, integrity, sportsmanship, character, and contributions to the team(s) on which the player played.

Leadership can well be construed as part of several of those criteria.

• Mike Sixel and MN_ExPat like this

Modesty, n.: Being comfortable that others will discover your greatness.

#40 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Posted 08 August 2018 - 09:54 AM

You might want to actually look up his numbers before you state so emphatically that he isn't a clutch hitter....

• Oldgoat_MN and jimmer like this