Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

2019 1B options

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#1 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 03:25 PM

After looking over the list of potential 1B options, I don't see too many that I would prefer over Mauer.This makes me believe he will definitely be back next year to play 1B again as long as he wants to come back and play.  

https://www.mlbtrade...ee-agents.html

I looked at OFs and 1Bs and 3Bs and DHs and i could only come up with maybe Granderson and Nelson Cruz on full time basis and Reynolds, Jose Bautista and old friend Danny Valencia would be a good right handed platoon option with Mauer if we decide to get more depth there.but there really aren't that many good options for 1B.  

I am also confident that the Twins will want Rooker in the minors for part of next year too so I doubt he opens next year in the majors.

What say you the reader.if not Mauer who should man 1B from the list of available FA?From any position as well?  

Edited by Brandon, 07 August 2018 - 03:32 PM.

#2 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,377 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 03:32 PM

Cover it between Kepler, Austin and Sano.

When Kepler is at first, Cave is in the OF. He’s earned a shot at regular playing time.

It is time to move on from the Mauer era IMO.
  • Thrylos, nicksaviking, zenser and 6 others like this

#3 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,000 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 03:35 PM

Kepler, Austin, Sano and eventually Rooker next year. 

IMO, Mauer will be back, and I won't complain too much about it, but I won't agree with it.

edit: And Garver too.......he can DH/1B/C next year for my team.

Edited by Mike Sixel, 07 August 2018 - 03:36 PM.

• Thrylos, Twins33, nicksaviking and 9 others like this

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#4 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,377 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 03:42 PM

Mauer has started more than 120 games at first just once since becoming the “everyday” first baseman in 2014, and he won’t this year either. So, that’s AT LEAST 1/4 of the games where you need someone else. It just doesn’t work with 12 and 13 man bullpens.
  • USAFChief, Mike Sixel, notoriousgod71 and 4 others like this

#5 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 03:46 PM

Sano at 1B. Escobar at 3B. Polcanco at 2B.....Machado at SS. Simple!

• USAFChief, Mike Sixel, nicksaviking and 10 others like this

#6 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 03:59 PM

Mauer has started more than 120 games at first just once since becoming the “everyday” first baseman in 2014, and he won’t this year either. So, that’s AT LEAST 1/4 of the games where you need someone else. It just doesn’t work with 12 and 13 man bullpens.

Will the Red Sox, Dodgers, Yankees or Astros have someone that starts at least 120 games at 1B this year?

If his bat and glove can provide league average play at 1B there should be a spot for him even if they expect 1/2 a season of starts at 1B. I am not confident that he will contribute enough with his bat.
  • Riverbrian likes this

#7 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,000 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 04:05 PM

Of Qualified 1B.....Mauer is 20th of 27 in offense (wrc+ version) across baseball.....He's not likely to get better next year. 

Me? I'm not betting he does.

Tyler Austin has just barely outhit Mauer this year, actually (though in a small sample)......

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#8 rv78

rv78

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 04:11 PM

Sano at 1B. Escobar at 3B. Polcanco at 2B.....Machado at SS. Simple!

I agree with this even though I fully expect Escobar and Machado won't happen. 

The organization will let Joe do whatever he wants and I'm 99% sure he will want to return for another season.....Unfortunately. He really needs to retire in dignity and the time is now.

Edited by rv78, 07 August 2018 - 04:12 PM.

• 3balls2strikes likes this

#9 jkcarew

jkcarew

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 04:18 PM

A guy that can only play 1B/DH in this era of 13-man bullpens...and is sitting on about 97-98 wRC+ for the 2nd time in 4 years...without much upside from here. Sigh.

#10 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 9,134 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 04:32 PM

No one cares to mention Mauer's exceptional fielding? Let me do so now.

• lecroy24fan, Ryan Atkins, Twins33 and 12 others like this

#11 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,668 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 07 August 2018 - 04:49 PM

After looking over the list of potential 1B options, I don't see too many that I would prefer over Mauer.This makes me believe he will definitely be back next year to play 1B again as long as he wants to come back and play.  

https://www.mlbtrade...ee-agents.html

Might have not really looked closely at Smoak then:.252/.360/.469. 127 OPS+ and 3 years younger, and 2.2 bWAR vs 0.8 for Mauer

For sure a better option in that list than Mauer.

Regardless, I'd say that it is Tyler Austin's job to lose (possibly to Brent Rooker.)

Edited by Thrylos, 07 August 2018 - 04:50 PM.

• d-mac likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#12 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 04:56 PM

I wouldn't trade Joe for Smoak. 

I'd add a RH power hitter as a platoon. 

Someone not named Danny Valencia

• d-mac, SF Twins Fan and mngopherguy like this

#13 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,678 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 07 August 2018 - 05:02 PM

I will welcome Joe back in 2019 providing that the Twins and Joe's Agent treat each other fairly in the negotiations of a one year contract. I don't have a number but it won't be at 23 million and I assume it won't be 600K either. 

If Joe comes back... I will expect him to compete with Austin and Sano for playing time and I am also 100% on board with Kepler getting occasional starts at 1B if the OF is crowded with players hitting the crap out of the ball. If the presence of Mauer on the roster confuses Molitor, making it impossible for him to figure out how to give Austin a decent opportunity or makes it hard for him to get Sano occasional playing time at 1B or prevents moving Kepler to 1B on occasion then sadly... I'd say we got to let Mauer go because while I'd love to see Mauer back because I think he can help us win, I do not want Mauer to clog things up and keep us from getting our best bats in the lineup. 

• SwainZag, Dman, d-mac and 1 other like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#14 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 05:07 PM

Are we really talking about moving Kepler to 1B? Really? Cmon now.
  • SF Twins Fan likes this

#15 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,000 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 05:08 PM

No one cares to mention Mauer's exceptional fielding? Let me do so now.

Well, if you go to FGs.....you'll note that the fielding value between one 1B and another isn't all that different. But if you want to include base running and fielding, here is the WAR leaderboard for 1B.....

https://www.fangraph...lter=&players=0

Including defense and running, Mauer moves up to 18th in WAR among 1B.......and he's not going to be younger next year.

• Thrylos, Oldgoat_MN, rghrbek and 1 other like this

#16 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,000 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 05:10 PM

Well, he's a better hitter than mauer this year, and Cave, Wade, Rosario, Buxton exist, as do other OF options in FA.......so why not think about it? Why not have 3-4 guys that can play 1B, and other positions, rather than a guy that can only play 1B?

He's also younger, cheaper, and more likely to improve next year than a 36 yo Mauer.

• nicksaviking, Riverbrian, zenser and 9 others like this

#17 Lonestar

Lonestar

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 05:21 PM

Sign Matt Adams for Yonder Alonso deal.

• ahart10 and South Dakota Tom like this

#18 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,678 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 05:41 PM

Yes... on occasion, if necessary to get better bats into the lineup, if the OF'ers are performing and you need to move someone to a different position to accommodate. It should certainly be an option to consider.  

Galileo once suggested that the earth revolved around the sun. He was looking through his telescope, others were not. He said to the others... "look... the earth revolves around the sun". Paul Molitor responded by throwing him in prison for heresy. Galileo eventually died in prison 8 years later. 

• Mike Sixel, Dman, slash129 and 5 others like this

Founded 4-23-16 

#19 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 9,134 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 05:42 PM

Well, if you go to FGs.....you'll note that the fielding value between one 1B and another isn't all that different. But if you want to include base running and fielding, here is the WAR leaderboard for 1B.....

https://www.fangraph...lter=&players=0

Including defense and running, Mauer moves up to 18th in WAR among 1B.......and he's not going to be younger next year.

No, I am not interested in including base running in evaluating Mauer :)

#20 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,678 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 05:43 PM

Well, he's a better hitter than mauer this year, and Cave, Wade, Rosario, Buxton exist, as do other OF options in FA.......so why not think about it? Why not have 3-4 guys that can play 1B, and other positions, rather than a guy that can only play 1B?

He's also younger, cheaper, and more likely to improve next year than a 36 yo Mauer.

I'm am personally offering you an invitation to join the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club.

Eventually, we will have exclusive jackets made.:)

• Mike Sixel, nicksaviking, Sconnie and 4 others like this

Founded 4-23-16