Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Is Development Still Broken?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#61 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 11:40 AM

It is interesting to see how we have been influenced by Keith Law and his SSS.Sometimes the eyes just see things whether short or long sample.I wonder what would happen if Morrison went somewhere (I would like to find out).Reed is trying my patience too.What happened with these two?

I have a difficult time with development, but that is with our young players, not necessarily those we just traded.Dozier is due for his hot streak and Escobar has been good all season, but both will be FAs.  

But the young players who are yanked up and then dropped back down with lots of little SSS periods, a player like Gonsalves who has been ranked #3 but not in the order of promotions - what happens to him?We can say he does not look like he will make it in MLB, but we could say that about Slegers and still he has gotten some starts.

I do not like the patterns - the new guys immediately get playing time, those in the minors watch a lot of mediocre pickups play in MLB - how does that make them feel?I will continue to talk about Gardy playing Hicks and Goodrum and we gave them no opportunities, but play Bobby Wilson and Motter. Notice that J T Chargois is still on the Dodgers active roster.2 -3 3.14 ERA, 1.29 Whip, 33 games.He reminds me of the current batch of young relievers that we continually ignore so we can bring in Oliver Drake. 

What is going on? 

• Highabove and h2oface like this

#62 Major Leauge Ready

Major Leauge Ready

• Members
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 02:27 PM

We have had quite a few high draft picks and/or highly ranked prospects do either nothing or have ended up grossly underachieving with us. Do we really think there is no development problem?

Hard to argue this has not been a problem. Our history is quite clear in this area. Some of us are being optimistic in terms of hoping the new regime is making corrections. This is one of those things where we have only surface information. I have heard/read a few things that suggest Falvey are making changes to address our past ineptitude. I am afraid the answer to this one will take some time to get a handle on but we do have a handful of examples that give me hope. IMO, this is at the very top of the list in terms of impact on the organization.

Edited by Major Leauge Ready, 11 August 2018 - 02:28 PM.

#63 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,415 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 11 August 2018 - 08:01 PM

The front office just acquired more players this year at the trade deadline in one season then the Terry Ryan led front office from 2012 to 2016. 

The totals are not even close and those were seller years as we all remember.

I have no idea if the players will pan out or not but we just got more ball players to pour into the filter. 

This has me encouraged about the front office. Now they just got to work on removing all the clogs out of the filter. 

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate