Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Mauer and Morrison clear waivers

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#101 tbhysgb

tbhysgb

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 03:10 PM

Alot of the younger Twins fans have less respect for him imo.

I was at a twins game last year sitting by two younger twins fans. One tells his friend that Joe Mauer used to be a catcher but he was only average.My wife told me she's never seen my head swivel so hard.

But anyway, The Joe Mauer of old is in the past, he's not a bad guy to have on the team though. If Mauer wants to keep playing I bet they keep signing him, out of respect for who he is and what he's done.

Kinda wish Mauer takes the high road and retires, just rip the band aid off. I don't want him playing for another team. He's a Minnesota Twin, end of story.

• AlwaysinModeration and jimmer like this

#102 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 9,960 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 03:13 PM

plenty of old fans have no respect for him either...

Edited by jimmer, 10 August 2018 - 03:32 PM.

#103 Twins33

Twins33

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 03:30 PM

Anyone else see Colorado as a good landing spot for Morrison?
We could either trade him for cash or we could take a chance on erratic flamethrower Carlos Estevez, who’s also on their 40 man roster.

Wild Thing pitches for the Rockies? Didn't think the Indians would trade him.

#104 Twins33

Twins33

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 03:37 PM

I was at a twins game last year sitting by two younger twins fans. One tells his friend that Joe Mauer used to be a catcher but he was only average.My wife told me she's never seen my head swivel so hard.

This reminds me that at Twinsfest this year some kid who was about 10 was shocked to see a picture of Mauer in his catcher's gear. "Mauer was a catcher!?"

I felt old and I'm not even 30 yet.
  • Mike Sixel likes this

#105 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 13,786 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 03:47 PM

The Phillies, whom I don't necessarily consider frugal and who are not up against the luxury tax, just acquired LH 1B Justin Bour from the Marlins. They only gave up a minor league depth arm and still got the Marlins (who can be rather cheap) to pick up $450k of Bour's remaining $900k salary this season.

https://www.mlbtrade...ustin-bour.html

As others have said, of course, I don't expect Mauer to be dealt for a variety of reasons. But even in the unlikely event he took an interest in seeking a trade, I still think the money would complicate actually finding a match.

Edited by spycake, 10 August 2018 - 03:48 PM.

#106 twins_89

twins_89

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:50 PM

I'm starting to seriously wonder if this is Mauer's last season, his OPS is trending downward and with a few more poor games it will be under .700. I wouldn't be surprised to see him call it a career at the end of the year rather than to try to hang on for one more season.

#107 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 21,455 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:52 PM

I'm told loyalty is a two way street...shouldn't Mauer volunteer to waive his no trade provision, so the Twins can get something for his expiring contract? That's the rationale I've heard for trading all the other free agents to be.

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#108 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 18,895 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:55 PM

I'm told loyalty is a two way street...shouldn't Mauer volunteer to waive his no trade provision, so the Twins can get something for his expiring contract? That's the rationale I've heard for trading all the other free agents to be.

I'm surprised if you believe there is a market for him, making the clause moot. :)

• USAFChief likes this

Modesty, n.: Being comfortable that others will discover your greatness.

#109 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 06:32 PM

I was at a twins game last year sitting by two younger twins fans. One tells his friend that Joe Mauer used to be a catcher but he was only average. My wife told me she's never seen my head swivel so hard.

I don't want him playing for another team. He's a Minnesota Twin, end of story.

Ha, love that story.

As for the second sentence, you know, not to dig up this old saw, but...it will be a BIG bonus for Joe’s HOF case that he played his whole career for his hometown team.