Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Mauer and Morrison clear waivers

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#81 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 9,135 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 06:16 PM

No.Still puts him below median at 1B.......but he's not hitting close to that this year, so I'm not sure why we'd expect that.He also didn't hit that high in 2016. 2017 appears to be the outlier.

Obviously you are interpreting it differently. Fine, whatever.

There are a lot of great MLB players right now; including first baseman, and as hitting goes, Mauer is a below average first baseman. I don't know what the realistic alternative is the next year or two. A wish for Austin or Rooker to excel or platoon with each other seems like a stretch. Moving Kepler to 1B seems like robbing Peter to pay Paul.
  • Doomtints likes this

#82 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,006 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 06:42 PM

There are a lot of great MLB players right now; including first baseman, and as hitting goes, Mauer is a below average first baseman. I don't know what the realistic alternative is the next year or two. A wish for Austin or Rooker to excel or platoon with each other seems like a stretch. Moving Kepler to 1B seems like robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Sano, Kepler, Austin, Garver, that's pretty easy, and gives you position flexibility. Maybe Rooker is ready at some point. It's very unlikely that group produces less than Mauer.

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#83 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 9,135 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 06:44 PM

Sano, Kepler, Austin, Garver, that's pretty easy, and gives you position flexibility. Maybe Rooker is ready at some point. It's very unlikely that group produces less than Mauer.

That's quite a plan.

#84 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,381 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 07:08 PM

Not if Buxton produces as is hoped and Cave does basically as well as this year.

Cave has the same fWAR as Mauer in less than half the at bats. And a considerably higher OPS.

It gets a productive bat (Cave) into the lineup more often than his role as 4th OFer would typically allow without taking the productive OFers out of the lineup. It’s called win-win.

Edited by yarnivek1972, 09 August 2018 - 07:10 PM.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#85 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 9,135 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 07:46 PM

Not if Buxton produces as is hoped and Cave does basically as well as this year.
Cave has the same fWAR as Mauer in less than half the at bats. And a considerably higher OPS.
It gets a productive bat (Cave) into the lineup more often than his role as 4th OFer would typically allow without taking the productive OFers out of the lineup. It’s called win-win.

I much prefer Mauer at first and Kepler in RF on opening day, than Kepler at first and Cave in right. We can agree to disagree.

I think Mauer is more likely to OPS at .750 than Cave at .775 in 2019, though I hope they both hit those marks. Not to mention the unpredictability of having two guys at new positions versus two guys at positions where they are already comfortable.

#86 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 21,921 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 09 August 2018 - 09:26 PM

I much prefer Mauer at first and Kepler in RF on opening day, than Kepler at first and Cave in right. We can agree to disagree.
I think Mauer is more likely to OPS at .750 than Cave at .775 in 2019, though I hope they both hit those marks. Not to mention the unpredictability of having two guys at new positions versus two guys at positions where they are already comfortable.

That’s the problem with Mauer...you’re hoping he puts up a .750 OPS. As if that’s somehow a good thing. How does that help put the Twins in the postseason?

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#87 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 9,135 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 10:01 PM

That’s the problem with Mauer...you’re hoping he puts up a .750 OPS. As if that’s somehow a good thing. How does that help put the Twins in the postseason?

I'm not head over heels for Mauer forever, I just don't see how it's a bad option for 2019. We can be fairly sure what we're getting. Solid defense and some on base. He showed cracks in both, but IMO he's just as likely to "rebound" towards 2017 levels than continue a second year of decline.

Remove Mauer right now, and it's one more position to fill with question marks and worry about.
  • jimmer likes this

#88 FormerMinnasotan

FormerMinnasotan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 06:39 AM

That's awfully nice of him to "offer a hometown discount"
Come on. With that sexy .711 OPS coming from first base. LOL
What does that even mean for 36 year old guy well into his decline!? One year 3 million??

What if the Twins decide it is better to move on from him? Would that be so bad??

Quite frankly, that is what I would do.
I have no interest in seeing Joe Mauer gingerly play the game of baseball, making cameo appearances.

I agree with you on Mauer. His best days are behind and he is 1 concussion away from needing to retire. I mean what would Joe bring to the table next year for the Twins? Other than being a decent fielder and having a good on base percentage he brings nothing. Joe isn’t a draw as much for fans anymore. To be honest anything above a 1 yr $3 million contract would be overpaying a greatly declining ball player. I say we start 2019 without Mauer, his skills are diminishing and has proven recently that he can’t carry the team, he’s actually a better contributor when others play well (see last year, and 2015).
  • ewen21 likes this

#89 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,333 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:48 AM

Even if Mauer waived his no trade, what team is going to give up anything to pay $6 mil or so for maybe .1 or .2 bWAR?

Mauer won't bring much in return but he's exactly the kind of bat teams want on a postseason roster. A righty comes into the game and you trot out Mauer, one of the most professional hitters in the game, a guy who will make the pitcher work to get him out and also a guy who will eagerly work a walk in a late-inning situation.

And given how the AL (and some of the NL) is shaking out, teams aren't looking to make the postseason, they're looking to solidify a postseason roster. Mauer doesn't have much value taking up a regular season 25-man roster spot but on a postseason roster with more space for bench players, I could easily see a team taking him on in a bench role.

• Carole Keller likes this

#90 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,168 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 09:30 AM

Mauer won't bring much in return but he's exactly the kind of bat teams want on a postseason roster.

Mauer is still due a lot of money for that small role, though. A few teams may not even be able to add it due to luxury tax concerns. And I wouldn't expect the Twins to eat it.

#91 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,605 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 10 August 2018 - 09:35 AM

And I wouldn't expect the Twins to eat it.

Why not? They budgeted for it. The remainder of the contract is down to, what, $8M and counting? By August 31, just $4M? If that was the difference in prying a better set of prospects in return, I'd do it. (Conversely, the other team would also likely view $4M as small change, unless as you say they are bumping up right at the tax threshold or something like that.)

• Mike Sixel likes this

I'm in big trouble at home. I used one of the couch pillows AS A PILLOW.

#92 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,168 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 09:57 AM

Why not? They budgeted for it. The remainder of the contract is down to, what, $8M and counting? By August 31, just $4M? If that was the difference in prying a better set of prospects in return, I'd do it. (Conversely, the other team would also likely view $4M as small change, unless as you say they are bumping up right at the tax threshold or something like that.)

A few luxury tax teams will be out. A bunch more frugal/fringe teams will likely be out at that price too (Cleveland, Oakland, Milwaukee, etc.). How many teams have ever taken on $4 mil for a month of a bench bat?

I recall Justin Morneau, who was a bit different hitter than Mauer, but still a professional lefty 1B bat. It took us right up until the August 31 deadline (plus an August HR binge from Morneau?) to convince Pittsburgh to take on the remaining ~$2 mil salary, and all we got in return was fringe 40-man DFA candidates. I have a real hard time envisioning anyone stepping up for $4 mil on Mauer.

Or assuming the Twins were willing to eat it, how many teams have given up a meaningfully "better set of prospects" for a month of a bench bat? That's going to take out those teams too.

Yeah, it's already "budgeted" and we're in a lost season, but I have real hard time imagining the Twins would be particularly eager to eat millions just to get Mauer into a pennant race somewhere else. (Not to mention the PR hit of losing perhaps their most popular player, and in such a lopsided deal.)

#93 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,333 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:03 AM

Mauer is still due a lot of money for that small role, though. A few teams may not even be able to add it due to luxury tax concerns. And I wouldn't expect the Twins to eat it.

True, but the Twins could eat $4-5m and maybe split the difference.

It all depends what a team is willing to give up for what is essentially a postseason bat.

All in all, I think it's unlikely Mauer goes anywhere for a number of reasons.

• Carole Keller and Mike Sixel like this

#94 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,006 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:05 AM

An insane number of comments, given there is less chance of Mauer being traded than Brock playing for the Twins this year.....

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#95 ewen21

ewen21

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 12:10 PM

I agree with you on Mauer. His best days are behind and he is 1 concussion away from needing to retire. I mean what would Joe bring to the table next year for the Twins? Other than being a decent fielder and having a good on base percentage he brings nothing. Joe isn’t a draw as much for fans anymore. To be honest anything above a 1 yr $3 million contract would be overpaying a greatly declining ball player. I say we start 2019 without Mauer, his skills are diminishing and has proven recently that he can’t carry the team, he’s actually a better contributor when others play well (see last year, and 2015).

I am not understanding the "hometown discount" angle AT ALL.What is the market for a 36 year old first baseman who hardly hits any extra base hits AND has missed chunks of time due to post concussion issues?I can't imagine him being worth any more than 5 million one year on the open market.A hometown discount in this case looks like what exactly?

Thinking of JOe Mauer as our first baseman next year is risky.

#96 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 12:40 PM

Anyone else see Colorado as a good landing spot for Morrison?

We could either trade him for cash or we could take a chance on erratic flamethrower Carlos Estevez, who’s also on their 40 man roster.

Edited by ChrisKnutson, 10 August 2018 - 12:40 PM.

#97 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 10,212 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 12:50 PM

An insane number of comments, given there is less chance of Mauer being traded than Brock playing for the Twins this year.....

and yet, it is not surprising at all there are so many comments about Mauer...

#98 Major Leauge Ready

Major Leauge Ready

• Members
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 01:28 PM

The Reds signed 3B Eugenio Suarez through 2024.They also have Austin Riley at AAA.He is the 3rd ranked 3B and #43 overall prospect on MLB.com. What about moving Sano to 1B and acquiring one of these two players from the Reds?

Edited by Major Leauge Ready, 10 August 2018 - 01:29 PM.

#99 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,678 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 10 August 2018 - 01:42 PM

If I was Joe Mauer... I'm taking a picture of my 10-5 rights and texting it to Falvey and Lavine. 

There is absolutely no way that I'm going to let 2 months with the Chicago Cubs show up on the back of my baseball card. 

It is extremely rare... it is also extremely commendable that the home town kid played his entire career for the home town team and if I was Joe... That's how my career is going to end and I would not give that up for anything. 

I understand everybody who feels that we need something else in 2019. But... Let's get real here... Joe Mauer is ONE OF US.

Whatever he decides to do... he has my respect, my admiration and he gets a statue some place outside of Target Field and nobody else will get to wear #7. 

• Twins33, 70charger, LA VIkes Fan and 3 others like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#100 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,168 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 02:05 PM

Anyone else see Colorado as a good landing spot for Morrison?

Not really. I don't think the team has any flights going over Colorado soon to push him out with a parachute, and shooting him out of a cannon won't have that good of range.

• ChrisKnutson likes this