Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Mauer and Morrison clear waivers

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#41 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 05:08 PM

Oh god, I hope not.

If the team wants to start 2019 with a 1B platoon and Austin is part of that package, okay... I don't love it and it's not optimal, but I can take it if...

The real prize here is Rooker, who has an .859 OPS in Chattanooga right now. Either get a real first baseman or aim to have Rooker in Minnesota no later than June of 2019.

And I’ll also note Austin posted 900+ OPS the past two years at AA/AAA (and a former top 100 prospect).

Edited by AlwaysinModeration, 07 August 2018 - 05:08 PM.

• Ben Noble and SF Twins Fan like this

#42 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• Members
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 07 August 2018 - 05:15 PM

Remember when Kendrys Morales had that "lost season" with the Twins a few years back? Played 39 games, had just 1 HR and batted .234. Looked like he was completely out of gas. Then he goes to KC and drives in 106 the next year, hits 30 HR the year after that. Goes to Toronto and hits 28 HR last year.

This Logan Morrison situation seems very familiar. I'm guessing he'll be able to get back in the groove, but it won't be in MN. Very odd how some players come to MN and have career-worst seasons, then get their mojo back when they leave.

I'm guessing this happens to every team, and we could find examples elsewhere. But for some reason it just seems like the Twins bring out the worst in veteran hitters.

• birdwatcher, Mike Sixel and SF Twins Fan like this

#43 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,007 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 05:18 PM

Remember when Kendrys Morales had that "lost season" with the Twins a few years back? Played 39 games, had just 1 HR and batted .234. Looked like he was completely out of gas. Then he goes to KC and drives in 106 the next year, hits 30 HR the year after that. Goes to Toronto and hits 28 HR last year.

This Logan Morrison situation seems very familiar. I'm guessing he'll be able to get back in the groove, but it won't be in MN. Very odd how some players come to MN and have career-worst seasons, then get their mojo back when they leave.

I'm guessing this happens to every team, and we could find examples elsewhere. But for some reason it just seems like the Twins bring out the worst in veteran hitters.

the curse of the trees......bring back the trees.

• Dantes929 and Doctor Wu like this

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#44 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• Members
  • 453 posts

except Dan Gladden, Chile Davis, Don Baylor, Dave Winfield, Jim Thome....... 

#45 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,007 posts

Only one of those since TF opened.......I mean, some of those are in the way back machine.

Edited by Mike Sixel, 07 August 2018 - 05:19 PM.

• bighat likes this

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#46 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 05:20 PM

Only one of those since TF opened.......I mean, some of those are in the way back machine.

But that is ok because I am older than dirt

• birdwatcher and Sconnie like this

#47 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,007 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 05:22 PM

But that is ok because I am older than dirt

many of us are.....

#48 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 06:24 PM

I don’t know...Morrison was good exactly one year. He was pretty good in the minors, but only had one stellar year in the majors, and that was last year. There’s a reason he didn’t get signed last off-season. I think he’s just reverting to his mean.
  • Mike Sixel, LA VIkes Fan, SF Twins Fan and 1 other like this

#49 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,678 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 07 August 2018 - 06:33 PM

I think I saw last night that Morrison had lost 22 hits to the shift.If you tacked on 22 hits to his 59, he'd have a BA of .264.

So, bottom line is that he has had some bad luck, but, more importantly, he's going to have to learn to adapt.Whether you like the shift or not, it's here until MLB tells us it is not.

On April 9th after a total of 9 Twins games... I posted this about Logan Morrison. 

"I am not liking his inability to adjust to the extreme shifting. I see no indication that he can adjust and I hope I'm wrong. If he can't adjust... he is going to hit. .210 this year because there will be a player standing everywhere he tends to hit the ball".

Logan Morrison has not adjusted to the shift and Paul Molitor did not adjust to Logan Morrison not adjusting and together they hit the iceberg because they must have figured that the iceberg would move if they just kept going.  

• glunn, birdwatcher, Mike Sixel and 5 others like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#50 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,742 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 06:39 PM

Maybe. I don’t know that Rooker is that much better than Austin. I think it’s worth giving Austin a bunch of ABs this year and next year, see if he can post 800 OPS or more. He’s entering his prime.

Yeah, I think Austin is actually a pretty good comp for what Rooker will probably become.
  • gil4 likes this

#51 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 06:44 PM

Yeah, I think Austin is actually a pretty good comp for what Rooker will probably become.

Considering they have literally the same OPS over their minor league career!

#52 gil4

gil4

The irrational optimism is back!

• Members
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 07 August 2018 - 06:58 PM

Actually, I wonder if clearing waivers might be bad. If some team had put in a waiver claim, you revoke the waiver and then you know with whom to start trade discussions.

I thought players had to clear waivers before they could be traded after the deadline. I also thought that once waivers were revoked there was a waiting period before they could be waived again (30 days?). 

#53 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,381 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:31 PM

Perhaps Morrison is trying to channel his inner Tim Laudner. Of course, he was a catcher...

#54 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,605 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:39 PM

I thought players had to clear waivers before they could be traded after the deadline. I also thought that once waivers were revoked there was a waiting period before they could be waived again (30 days?). 

Yeah, maybe I talked myself into a Catch-22 that doesn't actually exist. :)

• gil4 likes this

I'm in big trouble at home. I used one of the couch pillows AS A PILLOW.

#55 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,168 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:41 PM

They can be traded to the claiming team, but only in a 48 hour window after the claim.

If they go unclaimed, they can be traded anytime.

You are right about the 30 day waiting period to request waivers a second time. And the second trip through waivers is irrevocable.

https://www.thecubre...xport/html/3528
  • gil4 likes this

#56 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 07:51 AM

I recall his stint with the Twins beginning at least a month into the season, after the draft pick compensation time had passed on the old version of the QO. He basically did spring training with the big league club in May and June and unsurprisingly sucked. I bet he’d have had a good year if he been signed in March.

I don’t really see a strong parallel with the two situations, although that doesn’t lessen my disappointment with Morrison.

#57 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 08:44 AM

Back to the subject of clearing waivers, I'm still hoping we can unload Rodney on some other team.

• Dantes929 likes this

#58 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 09:29 AM

Paul Molitor,Josh Willingham, Ryan Doumit, Jamey Carroll, Kurt Suzuki, Ed Nunez, Robbie Grossman and even Tori Hunter wasn't too bad.  

Who were the failures?Morales and Morrison?Tommy Herr?

I don't consider Morrison signing to be a mistake. It was a good move that simply didn't work out.

• Kelly Vance and LA VIkes Fan like this

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#59 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,168 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 09:37 AM

I recall his stint with the Twins beginning at least a month into the season, after the draft pick compensation time had passed on the old version of the QO. He basically did spring training with the big league club in May and June and unsurprisingly sucked. I bet he’d have had a good year if he been signed in March.

Actually worse than that -- the Twins couldn't sign Morales until June 8 (once the draft started). And he started playing for us the next day, on June 9. Presumably he was working out on his own up to that point, but he was basically 3 months behind everyone else.

And coming full circle -- Morales came to the Twins from the Mariners, who had replaced Morales by acquiring... Logan Morrison! :)

• Mike Sixel and 70charger like this

#60 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,007 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 09:46 AM

Morrison has 1 year with more than .0.8 fWAR......I think it is more likely that year is the anomaly than this year is......He's almost 31. I can't speak to anything about his clubhouse role, but looking just at outcomes, I'm not interested in him playing anymore this year, let alone next year. Bring up Austin, cut LOMO.

• Dantes929 and SF Twins Fan like this