Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Mauer and Morrison clear waivers

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#21 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,168 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 09:37 AM

I mean, I could see a team liking Mauer as a LH bench bat if the Twins ate the salary but he's repeatedly said he doesn't want to go anywhere and can block it. Would seem a waste of resources and time to put a claim in on him.

Yup. And I have mentioned before, but sometimes if you are interested in a player, claiming him in August might actually be counter-productive, as it only gives you 48 hours to strike a deal. Let him go unclaimed, it gives you the whole month.

Probably irrelevant with Mauer, but the Astros probably wouldn't have landed Verlander last year had they claimed him -- they needed the full month to negotiate.

#22 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,775 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 09:45 AM

If Doug Mientkiewicz got traded by Boston to the Mets for a bucket of balls, there isn't a snowball's chance in hell that Morrison is going anywhere.

#23 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 09:47 AM

Can a team carry a 3 man bench and the right handed half of a platoon 1B/DH? Maybe. The other half of the DH better be able to play some outfield.

Can Austin play RF approaching Grossman’s level? If so, I think there is a spot. He has not played RF for Rochester yet in spite of Rochester having 3 outfielders on the DL.
  • Mike Sixel likes this

#24 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,333 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 09:53 AM

If a team wants Morrison, it will be at the end of August so they can slide him onto the expanded roster and potentially keep him as a postseason bench bat.

Which isn't a terrible idea, really.

• wsnydes likes this

#25 Ben Noble

Ben Noble

• Members
  • 153 posts
  • LocationPowderhorn Park

Posted 07 August 2018 - 10:05 AM

The real prize here is Rooker, who has an .859 OPS in Chattanooga right now. 

...and Austin has an .850 OPS in AAA right now. 

#26 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,813 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 07 August 2018 - 10:10 AM

Yup. And I have mentioned before, but sometimes if you are interested in a player, claiming him in August might actually be counter-productive, as it only gives you 48 hours to strike a deal. Let him go unclaimed, it gives you the whole month.

Probably irrelevant with Mauer, but the Astros probably wouldn't have landed Verlander last year had they claimed him -- they needed the full month to negotiate.

I would think the strategy would be to claim a guy you think could be attained via waiver claim or to block your adversary from making a trade.

#27 alarp33

alarp33

• Members
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 10:17 AM

I don't recall specifics, but wouldn't there have been a decent chance the Tigers just dumped the Verlander contract on a team if he was claimed? He had been good since the All Star break, but his season numbers still were not great and the contract wasn't looking great. 

"The game has changed since I've entered, it's for bright, energetic negotiators moreso than anything I possess." - Terry Ryan 2007

#28 mrmpls

mrmpls

• Members
  • 504 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 10:19 AM

Mauer, Morrison reportedly clear waivers
Aug. 6: Twins first baseman Joe Mauer and designated hitter Logan Morrison have passed through waivers unclaimed, according to Mike Berardino of the St. Paul Pioneer Press.

The two are now eligible to be traded to any of the other 29 Major League clubs, though it remains to be seen if a market will develop for either player.

Mauer has a solid .357 on-base percentage in 2018, but he offers little power (three homers in '18). In addition, the 35-year-old has a full no-trade clause as part of his eight-year, $184 million contract, which is set to expire after this season, giving him the power to veto any deal. Mauer is a Minnesota native who has spent his entire career with the Twins, so it's unclear if he'd be willing to waive said clause.

Meanwhile, Morrison has recorded an underwhelming .195/.289/.387 slash line with 15 homers after signing a one-year, $5.5 million deal with the Twins this past offseason. He slashed .246/.353/.516 with a career-high 38 homers for the Rays a year ago.

Morrison's pact includes a '19 club option for $8 million with a $1 million buyout. The option will increase to $8.5 million if he reaches 500 plate appearances or $9.5 million with a $1.5 million buyout if he reaches 550, and a $9.5 million option will automatically vest for '19 if he makes it to 600 PAs. However, with less than two months remaining in the regular season, the 30-year-old is still 157 plate appearances shy of 500.

• glunn likes this

#29 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,813 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 07 August 2018 - 10:20 AM

AAA is a more hitter friendly league than AA.
2018 Austin wrc+ 100
2018 Rooker wrc+ 137

#30 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,168 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 11:08 AM

I don't recall specifics, but wouldn't there have been a decent chance the Tigers just dumped the Verlander contract on a team if he was claimed? He had been good since the All Star break, but his season numbers still were not great and the contract wasn't looking great.

I don't think so. First of all, Verlander had a full no-trade, so he could block a waiver assignment just like a trade. Secondly, I think the Tigers wanted to eat some of the contract to get talent back -- they didn't really need pure salary relief, and Verlander was still good enough to expect some return, assuming they could convince him to waive the no-trade.

#31 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,168 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 11:11 AM

AAA is a more hitter friendly league than AA.
2018 Austin wrc+ 100
2018 Rooker wrc+ 137

I think you are looking at wrong line. Austin has a 100 wRC+ in MLB this year, but at AAA, it's 131 (Yankees AAA) and 146 (Twins AAA), basically the same as Rooker.
  • Mike Sixel, Sconnie and Ben Noble like this

#32 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,168 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 11:16 AM

Morrison's pact includes a '19 club option for $8 million with a $1 million buyout. The option will increase to $8.5 million if he reaches 500 plate appearances or $9.5 million with a $1.5 million buyout if he reaches 550, and a $9.5 million option will automatically vest for '19 if he makes it to 600 PAs. However, with less than two months remaining in the regular season, the 30-year-old is still 157 plate appearances shy of 500.

Morrison is on pace for 506 PA right now, so if we keep playing him, the 2019 option cost will go up.

I posted this elsewhere, but Morrison only got $6.5 mil guaranteed (including buyout) coming off his 2017 season. Doesn't look like there is any chance we pick up his 2019 option at a net cost of $7-7.5 mil, even with a solid finish.
  • SF Twins Fan likes this

#33 mazeville

mazeville

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 727 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 11:17 AM

Morrison career MLB numbers: .240 .326 .429 .755
Austin career MLB numbers: .230 .287 .459 .746

Austin minors: .285 .363 .473 .836
Morrison minors: .287 .378 .458 .836

Austin has five minor league seasons in which he OPS more than 850.

Trade Morrison for a bag of balls, get Austin up with the Twins now. He’s their starting 1B for next year.

I cannot agree with this more.

Twins are not going to compete. It's increasingly likely that Morrison will play elsewhere next year. Find a taker for him and get Austin some regular at-bats the rest of the season. 

#34 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,534 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 11:26 AM

This!.... With the provision that his K-Rate continues to trend in the current direction ... 24+% in July and starting August at 22+% .... It would awesome if he ended August under 20%, and that could get him a cup of coffee .... Beating July certainly should start him in AAA for 2019 .... I would expect a dip in April due to more off-speed and benders, and that will be the real test on his ability to continue adjusting and fast tracking to the big club

Oh god, I hope not.

If the team wants to start 2019 with a 1B platoon and Austin is part of that package, okay... I don't love it and it's not optimal, but I can take it if...

The real prize here is Rooker, who has an .859 OPS in Chattanooga right now. Either get a real first baseman or aim to have Rooker in Minnesota no later than June of 2019.

Yep. Which is why I've been advocating to get Rooker to AAA now. He can address his K issues while facing more breaking balls better at that level, and hopefully in the process, accelerate a successful June 2019, or sooner, debut in the Twins starting lineup.

(Another solution is re-signing Escobar in free agency and sticking Sano over at 1B until Rooker is ready.)

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#35 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,333 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 12:45 PM

He's also three years older with kinda bad MLB numbers in limited time.

I'm not saying Austin can't be a useful piece (though his positional limitation is a problem) but I am saying the Twins should not roll into 2019 with him pencilled in at first base (which was literally the point of the post I quoted).

• SF Twins Fan likes this

#36 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,381 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 01:01 PM

Absolutely. In Morrison's case, it gives you a team and a baseline for formulating a return -- you can say "his salary is X, do you want to pay it, or what minor leaguers do you think have equal or less value than that?"

Well, we have this ball boy down in low A. He’s a hot prospect...

#37 Ben Noble

Ben Noble

• Members
  • 153 posts
  • LocationPowderhorn Park

Posted 07 August 2018 - 01:04 PM

He's also three years older with kinda bad MLB numbers in limited time.

I'm not saying Austin can't be a useful piece (though his positional limitation is a problem) but I am saying the Twins should not roll into 2019 with him pencilled in at first base (which was literally the point of the post I quoted).

That's totally fair. Austin has actually put up very good numbers in MLB against LHP in limited AB, I would be okay rolling into 2019 with him penciled into a platoon with Mauer at first base...the operative words here being 'okay' and 'penciled.'

• Brock Beauchamp and SF Twins Fan like this

#38 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,381 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 01:12 PM

How about a quasi-platoon with Cave and Austin?

For my money, Cave has earned the right to be penciled into fairly regular playing time in 2019. On the hope (absolutely not the assumption) that Buxton looks like a MLB player next year, I think getting him regular starts in RF while sliding Kepler over to 1b would be a workable plan.

Of course, that is also predicated on Sano sticking at third, by no means a certainty.

#39 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,007 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 01:15 PM

I think you are looking at wrong line. Austin has a 100 wRC+ in MLB this year, but at AAA, it's 131 (Yankees AAA) and 146 (Twins AAA), basically the same as Rooker.

100 in the majors, and they'd rather have Morrison here right now.....

• Ben Noble and SF Twins Fan like this

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#40 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 04:48 PM

Oh god, I hope not.

If the team wants to start 2019 with a 1B platoon and Austin is part of that package, okay... I don't love it and it's not optimal, but I can take it if...

The real prize here is Rooker, who has an .859 OPS in Chattanooga right now. Either get a real first baseman or aim to have Rooker in Minnesota no later than June of 2019.

Maybe. I don’t know that Rooker is that much better than Austin. I think it’s worth giving Austin a bunch of ABs this year and next year, see if he can post 800 OPS or more. He’s entering his prime.
  • Mike Sixel, Twins33, Ben Noble and 1 other like this