Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Mauer and Morrison clear waivers

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#1 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 10:15 PM

Per Bernardino:https://www.twinciti...-clear-waivers/

• glunn likes this

#2 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,900 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 10:21 PM

I think they will find a match for Morrison but it may be closer to roster expansion and the return will be a player that will be out of options next year.
  • Danchat likes this

#3 twins_89

twins_89

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 10:41 PM

Mauer isn't going anywhere and probably the best return the Twins could get on Morrison would be to get out of $500-750K of his salary.

#4 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 11:47 PM

Player to be named later and they might have to include some cash.

• LA VIkes Fan and SF Twins Fan like this

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#5 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 03:48 AM

Morrison career MLB numbers: .240 .326 .429 .755
Austin career MLB numbers: .230 .287 .459 .746

Austin minors: .285 .363 .473 .836
Morrison minors: .287 .378 .458 .836

Austin has five minor league seasons in which he OPS more than 850.

Trade Morrison for a bag of balls, get Austin up with the Twins now. He’s their starting 1B for next year.

Edited by AlwaysinModeration, 07 August 2018 - 03:56 AM.

• bighat and Doctor Wu like this

#6 Blackjack

Blackjack

• Members
  • 902 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 06:43 AM

Player to be named later and they might have to include some cash.

Sometimes you just have to admit your mistakes and move on. DFA him and call up someone that can help us next year.

• bighat likes this

#7 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 06:53 AM

Trade him to the Yankees so he can turn his season around.
  • ThejacKmp, jctwins, SF Twins Fan and 3 others like this

#8 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 20,000 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 07 August 2018 - 06:57 AM

They do waivers on Mauer every year. As with every player of value, pretty much. It's just due diligence at this time of year. This is when waivers are revocable. It's never, by itself, an indication of an intent to trade Joe.

Actually, I wonder if clearing waivers might be bad. If some team had put in a waiver claim, you revoke the waiver and then you know with whom to start trade discussions. LoMo having cleared means any team with even the slightest interest will know there is no competition for his services, and will just wait for him to be DFA. At most, they'll offer a token of cash.

Note, I am not certain how completely transparent the whole process is among teams.

• glunn, Riverbrian, bighat and 2 others like this

A painter should not paint what he sees, but what will be seen.-- Paul Valery

#9 AZTwin

AZTwin

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 816 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:06 AM

When players clear waivers they can be traded to any team. Sometimes claims can be used as blocks or can be hard to work out deal within condensed timeframes.

#10 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,261 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:43 AM

Note, I am not certain how completely transparent the whole process is among teams.

Good point. Obviously teams know when guys are (or have already been) on waivers, and I assume teams are notified when they win a claim, even if the waiving team can revoke it.

But they probably have to deduce whether a guy cleared or another team won a claim.
  • ashburyjohn, Riverbrian and MN_ExPat like this

#11 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,261 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:46 AM

Actually, I wonder if clearing waivers might be bad. If some team had put in a waiver claim, you revoke the waiver and then you know with whom to start trade discussions. LoMo having cleared means any team with even the slightest interest will know there is no competition for his services, and will just wait for him to be DFA. At most, they'll offer a token of cash.

Absolutely. In Morrison's case, it gives you a team and a baseline for formulating a return -- you can say "his salary is X, do you want to pay it, or what minor leaguers do you think have equal or less value than that?"
  • ashburyjohn, Riverbrian and MN_ExPat like this

#12 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,261 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:48 AM

They do waivers on Mauer every year. As with every player of value, pretty much. It's just due diligence at this time of year. This is when waivers are revocable. It's never, by itself, an indication of an intent to trade Joe.

With Mauer, there is also the no-trade protection. I wonder if teams pretty much pass on no-trade guys in August? Since they can block any trade or waiver assignment anyway. Not that Mauer would have much of a value case otherwise right now.
  • ashburyjohn and ewen21 like this

#13 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:54 AM

If the Twins are going to keep Morrison through the end of August (seems likely) there's no reason to DFA him unless they need a 40 man spot (unlikely since they're swimmin' in them). The rosters expand and he can play a few days a week and be a vet. Unless he's upset about that (and I've never heard anything except that he's a good teammate) no reason not to keep him.

#14 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:55 AM

With Mauer, there is also the no-trade protection. I wonder if teams pretty much pass on no-trade guys in August? Since they can block any trade or waiver assignment anyway. Not that Mauer would have much of a value case otherwise right now.

I mean, I could see a team liking Mauer as a LH bench bat if the Twins ate the salary but he's repeatedly said he doesn't want to go anywhere and can block it. Would seem a waste of resources and time to put a claim in on him.

#15 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:57 AM

I think they will find a match for Morrison but it may be closer to roster expansion and the return will be a player that will be out of options next year.

Yeah, this. Morrison potentially makes sense as a bench bat but only when rosters expand. If you get him in August 31st, you can use him occasionally down the stretch.

#16 gocgo

gocgo

• Members
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 08:13 AM

I think I saw last night that Morrison had lost 22 hits to the shift.If you tacked on 22 hits to his 59, he'd have a BA of .264.

So, bottom line is that he has had some bad luck, but, more importantly, he's going to have to learn to adapt.Whether you like the shift or not, it's here until MLB tells us it is not.

• glunn, Riverbrian, ken and 2 others like this

Mind your own biscuits and life will be gravy.

#17 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,448 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 08:15 AM

Trade Morrison for a bag of balls, get Austin up with the Twins now. He’s their starting 1B for next year.

Oh god, I hope not.

If the team wants to start 2019 with a 1B platoon and Austin is part of that package, okay... I don't love it and it's not optimal, but I can take it if...

The real prize here is Rooker, who has an .859 OPS in Chattanooga right now. Either get a real first baseman or aim to have Rooker in Minnesota no later than June of 2019.

• LA VIkes Fan, Sconnie, slash129 and 4 others like this

#18 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 22,153 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 07 August 2018 - 08:34 AM

I mean, I could see a team liking Mauer as a LH bench bat if the Twins ate the salary but he's repeatedly said he doesn't want to go anywhere and can block it. Would seem a waste of resources and time to put a claim in on him.

link?

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#19 slash129

slash129

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 08:48 AM

The real prize here is Rooker, who has an .859 OPS in Chattanooga right now. Either get a real first baseman or aim to have Rooker in Minnesota no later than June of 2019.

This!.... With the provision that his K-Rate continues to trend in the current direction ... 24+% in July and starting August at 22+% .... It would awesome if he ended August under 20%, and that could get him a cup of coffee .... Beating July certainly should start him in AAA for 2019 .... I would expect a dip in April due to more off-speed and benders, and that will be the real test on his ability to continue adjusting and fast tracking to the big club

#20 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 08:57 AM

The rest of this year is all about next year. The question is whether Morrison is part of the 2019 club, which raises the question of whether what we see now is his real upside or is he just having an unlucky or bad year. I think we're seeing the real Morrison so dump him now and try out Austin so you know what you have gong into next year. 

Mauer is part of 2019 guys if he wants to be, like it or not. I have $20 that says that your 2019 Minnesota Twins starting 1B is .... Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr. Joe Mauer!  

• Kelly Vance likes this