Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Has Nick Gordon Hit the Wall?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 09:21 PM

Wander Javier is the backup plan. 

Javier hasn't been able to stay healthy and is years away, there's really no connection to either Gordon or what else the Twins might do in the infield.

If you ain't got no haters, you ain't poppin'.

#22 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 08:18 AM

Isnt AAA where a lot of veteran breaking ball pitchers go? Maybe its just adjusting to a bunch of breaking balls and the annual wear down that occurs

#23 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 08:54 AM

First time I'm hearing about this, I must live under a rock. I'm sure G Cinco's rap career is something that could be good for the sport. It could help bridge a gap between a younger demographic that they're purportedly losing, and all that.

That said, I can't really imagine how he could find it a good idea to spend time doing that. Does he have some buddies in his ear in regards to his big signing bonus?

You have a foot in the door with the lineage (father and brother very prominent and respected). You have apparent talent that has you a step away from the major leagues, with a hundred million dollars for the taking over the next decade plus....and you're taking a day off of work to go record yourself half-singing in max auto-tune?

That probably sounds really curmudgeonly, but what a gross and negligent misappropriation of effort at this time in his life. (Only my opinion on how I'd feel, this is America and live, laugh, love, et. all).

#24 ewen21

ewen21

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 06:49 PM

Alarms should be ringing in Twins world in regards to the physical fitness of Twins Uber-Prospects and/or the amount of "pressure" or Tough Love, as Thrylos put it, that has been applied to these prospects

At some point it's ok to demand a certain amount of effort from youngsters...I have no idea what's being asked of them at the end of the season, but it sure doesn't seem like there's been a plan put in place for them to grow and improve or move up

Indications are that this might be attributable to the old FO as the three that come to mind are pre-Falvine and we haven't had enough time to see how their picks pan out

I'm not saying they aren't fantastic athletes...just what are they doing or not doing to stagnate prior to MLB success?

As we tell young golfers struggling with consistently making good contact with the golf ball...

Once is pure luck...Twice we may have something...Three times is a trend

With Sano, Buxton and Gordon we're seeing a trend that has me wondering about the off-season program they are expected to complete

Totally fair to question this

#25 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,010 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 07:11 PM

I have no issues with hobbies, all work and no play.....

Gordon hasn't fallen down any lists yet, most of which were updated in July, so I'm not worried, yet.

he's 22 and can't hit AAA pitching yet. No way he should be starting in MN next year, or this, imo. 

Push Lewis to AA this year, and maybe he can play SS next year in MN at some point, and Polanco can move to 2B. Or (and....really) sign Escobar and put him at 2B until they have a better answer....

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#26 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 3,056 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 07:17 PM

I'm going to argue here. AAA ball is fine. A step up from AA ball. But the difference between AAA and major league is light years. Many of the people you face in AAA ball, or play with on the field, are on par with the bench bats, substitutes, people looking for their own comeback. Just because you tear up AAA ball doesn't mean you are going to crush the majors.

You can jump from AA ball to the majors. You can perform well in AAA ball. A lot of it is being able to recognize and work in a less threatening environment. 

But things can change. You listen to major league coaches. You try harder. You learn that it is a lot of ahrd work. 

Give Gordon a shot, a 20-30 game taste of the Big Leagues. Challenge him. Then have him work even harder in the off-season.

• tvagle likes this

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com