Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Has Nick Gordon Hit the Wall?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 strumdatjaguar

strumdatjaguar

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 08:02 AM

Nick's offensive production with the Lookouts in AA was very good.Now he's falling within close reach of the Mendoza line at AAA Rochester.,Is he banged up?Have pitchers figured out how to pitch to him? Many of us had him pemcilled in at 2B for 2019, but maybe this is why we use pencils instead of pens.

#2 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 08:22 AM

He can scale this wall but they shouldn’t count on him in planning for next year. It won’t be linear progress. Once he has better command of the strike zone he will se better pitches and he will barrel up the ball more often. By June 1 next year I think we will be pushing for his major league debut.
  • Carole Keller, Sconnie and wsnydes like this

#3 gil4

gil4

The irrational optimism is back!

• Members
  • 1,757 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 04 August 2018 - 08:31 AM

Has he hit a wall? No, he hasn't hit anything for at least a month.

• Brock Beauchamp, ashburyjohn, Yoke and 12 others like this

#4 puckstopper1

puckstopper1

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 08:51 AM

Gordon has become the anti-Dozier.Great first-halfs followed by poor second halfs.  

With the trades of Dozier and Esco I has hoping he would have been doing well enough to get a look at the MLB level, but clearly he has not.

I'm a big Gordon fan, but now I'm pretty concerned that he will be able to live up to his draft ranking.

Fortunately he is still young, so hopefully he will figure it out and be a solid contributor at the MLB level in the near future.

• NDTimIrish likes this

That Twins 2nd baseman - #29 - he doesn't run, he "ca-rew-zes" - Earl Weaver

#5 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 12,632 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 04 August 2018 - 08:58 AM

if anything, he's showing that he isn't ready. Given has age, I'm not worried about it, though his constant strong first halves followed by weak second halves is a bit concerning. Granted there was a promotion mixed in with it, so it's probably a combo of stamina as well as tougher pitching...

either way, I'm not counting on him to do much of anything in 2019 with his cup of coffee coming when a middle infielder ends up on the DL. That said, he's way too young to write off.

• birdwatcher and wsnydes like this

#6 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 09:11 AM

You can bet if that his fall-off is attributable to stamina, and it probably is in large part, then the development people are aware of it and are doing things to help him increase it over the course of his development. I doubt that anyone on the field staff who's working with him has clamored for either his demotion or for his promotion. His progress has been uneven, no doubt about that, yet the evaluators still seem to like his prospects. I'm not sure we should be all that alarmed by it.

• Carole Keller, Thrylos and diehardtwinsfan like this

#7 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,269 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 10:07 AM

Has Nick Gordon Hit the Wall?

As long as it's only a metaphorical wall, he should be all right:

"Kevin Brown injured punching clubhouse wall"

http://www.espn.com/...tory?id=1874557

#8 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 10:29 AM

I do not see a second half fall this year. I see a fall that connects with AAA on May 22. From the first day in AAA he has had poor strike out and walk rates.

I think it is all pitch recognition. His strike out and walk rates were steady in 2017 until the last month and by end of the season those pitchers have likely improved their off speed offerings.

It is pitch recognition. He can and will improve.
  • birdwatcher and wsnydes like this

#9 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,529 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 10:34 AM

He can scale this wall but they shouldn’t count on him in planning for next year. It won’t be linear progress. Once he has better command of the strike zone he will se better pitches and he will barrel up the ball more often. By June 1 next year I think we will be pushing for his major league debut.

This is where I'm at with Gordon. I wanted him up at AAA sooner with hopes he might get a late-season call up to get some seasoning at the MLB level. But he's not ready. And is not in my plans to start next year. But I'm thinking more All-Star break time before we get a look. He's young and needs more work, but I'm not at the point with that wall being insurmountable. He's just young and not quite ready.

• birdwatcher likes this

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#10 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 20,001 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 04 August 2018 - 10:37 AM

I watched him in-person last night, and wrote it up as a response to the minor league wrap-up thread so I won't belabor it here, but I concur that he can't succeed in the majors at this time. I'm quite concerned but am not writing him off yet.

• glunn likes this

A painter should not paint what he sees, but what will be seen.-- Paul Valery

#11 GCTF

GCTF

Wasting Your Time

• Members
  • 2,864 posts
  • LocationCanada City

Posted 04 August 2018 - 03:10 PM

What do people feel his upside is at this point? Anyone feel like giving a comp?

It seems as if his offensive value is going to be tied to his batting average as he doesn't have much power and has never taken a lot of walks. He also strikes out way too much for a guy with so little power. 

I don't want to write him off yet but other than 40+ games repeating AA, his offensive numbers are kind of meh, and from what I've read he isn't bringing a slick glove with him either.

• sftwinsfan likes this

Get Ry Cooder to sing my eulogy.

#12 twins_89

twins_89

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 03:29 PM

I'd guess Gordon's struggles at AAA are a combination of running out of gas and facing a new level where the pitching is more experienced and able to exploit weaknesses. I don't really have any concerns about him at this point, if he is still struggling next season at AAA then I'll start to worry.

#13 mngopherguy

mngopherguy

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 03:31 PM

I think he has hit the AAA wall.He's pretty young, he still has another year or two before I'd be too concerned.  

#14 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,769 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 04 August 2018 - 04:55 PM

I think that he is the anti-Sano in many respects.He is about 130 lbs wet of stick and bones.Cannot survive a full season with some sort of muscle.He has proven it season after season.It will behoove him, and the Twins, if this off-season he hit the gym instead of the recording studio.The Twins should set a playing weight for him for Spring Training.if he does not reach it, he does not get assigned to an affiliate.

This kid needs some tough love.The Twins have millions invested in him.

• sftwinsfan, jkcarew and wyowib like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#15 tvagle

tvagle

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 05:15 PM

Alarms should be ringing in Twins world in regards to the physical fitness of Twins Uber-Prospects and/or the amount of "pressure" or Tough Love, as Thrylos put it, that has been applied to these prospects

At some point it's ok to demand a certain amount of effort from youngsters...I have no idea what's being asked of them at the end of the season, but it sure doesn't seem like there's been a plan put in place for them to grow and improve or move up

Indications are that this might be attributable to the old FO as the three that come to mind are pre-Falvine and we haven't had enough time to see how their picks pan out

I'm not saying they aren't fantastic athletes...just what are they doing or not doing to stagnate prior to MLB success?

As we tell young golfers struggling with consistently making good contact with the golf ball...

Once is pure luck...Twice we may have something...Three times is a trend

With Sano, Buxton and Gordon we're seeing a trend that has me wondering about the off-season program they are expected to complete

Edited by tvagle, 04 August 2018 - 05:17 PM.

• ewen21 likes this

Is it 2020 yet?

#16 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 3,886 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 04 August 2018 - 05:29 PM

I believe every word that my fellow commentators have said about Nick Gordon in AAA this season. He needs to pack on muscle, and he needs a lot of work on pitch recognition. That said, I would still bring him up in the last couple weeks of the season. Why? To let him see his future home. To let him watch Joe Mauer in the batting cage. To let him practice his infield footwork with the coaches that turned Jorge Polanco into a decent mlb shortstop. Let him play if the last few meaningless games on the way to 90 losses. Tell him it's okay to just stand there at the plate and watch pitches go by, see if he can guess what they are. 

With Nick Gordon, it's all about building him up, physically, mentally and emotionally. That starts with letting him know that he's not disappointing anybody in AAA. Let him know the organization considers him a special prospect, but that it's going to take tons of work to bring out all his talent. First guy at practice, last guy to leave. That's what made Larry Bird a great player, even though that was just basketball, an easy sport.

• h2oface, Hosken Bombo Disco and tvagle like this

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#17 strumdatjaguar

strumdatjaguar

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 06:10 PM

Twins are going to have to think about bringing in a FA on a one year deal to cover 2B.  

#18 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,461 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 04 August 2018 - 06:19 PM

He'll be fine! He's the man. He's the best. He's G Cinco. Maybe he just needs a new pair of shoes.

• Thrylos likes this

#19 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 08:23 PM

Gordon could wind up being a late bloomer, considering that he needs to develop more physically . . . but I'm not high on him at all. Blocking him shouldn't be a consideration if the Twins can acquire a solid 2B option in the off-season.

Edited by drivlikejehu, 04 August 2018 - 08:24 PM.

If you ain't got no haters, you ain't poppin'.

#20 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 3,886 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 04 August 2018 - 09:00 PM

Gordon could wind up being a late bloomer, considering that he needs to develop more physically . . . but I'm not high on him at all. Blocking him shouldn't be a consideration if the Twins can acquire a solid 2B option in the off-season.

Wander Javier is the backup plan. 

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.