Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (8/2): Wiel Keeps the Lookouts Going Round and Round

zander wiel lewis thorpe
  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,010 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 08:52 AM

Grossman is not part of a WS contending team, imo. Wade might be a backup OF on such a team. And, who the heck knows what Buxton will be next year.

This team needs Wade in MN, to gather data, and to let him adjust to the majors, in case they need someone in the field next year with Rosario, Buxton, Kepler, Cave. 

• scottz, jokin, Dman and 1 other like this

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#22 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 09:06 AM

Rooker isn't going to be in AA next year, but in any case his age weighs on his prospect status too. The difference being that Rooker has better tools (particularly power) and is 2 years younger than Wiel at the same level, which is why Rooker is a solid (but not elite) prospect and Wiel is a fringe prospect.

Hope they keep Rooker moving. Would be nice if he got AAA at bats this year yet.Maybe he can be ready for the Twins next year.  

• MN_ExPat likes this

#23 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 09:27 AM

Jake Depue of 1500ESPN has relayed via Twitter that Wade was removed for "precautionary reasons."

#24 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,517 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 August 2018 - 09:29 AM

Jake Depue of 1500ESPN has relayed via Twitter that Wade was removed for "precautionary reasons."

What does that mean?

#25 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,010 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 09:30 AM

poop. I was really hoping he was being promoted.

• MN_ExPat likes this

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#26 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 12,498 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 03 August 2018 - 10:58 AM

Wiel has been consistent all season long.His OPS is right there with Rooker and Raley how come he gets no top 30 love?Age? Late Bloomer?FanGraphs has Jaylin Davis at number 16 on their list and his OPS is much lower than Wiel's. 

I think his age has something to do with that.But yeah, he's doing what you want him to do. 

#27 gagu

gagu

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 56 posts
  • LocationLimache, Chile

Posted 03 August 2018 - 06:13 PM

poop. I was really hoping he was being promoted.

You may have hit on it with the first word. It could a prudent "precautionary reason" if the plumbing is bad.

• ThejacKmp likes this

#28 nater79a

nater79a

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 03:07 PM

Any update on why Wade left after 3?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: zander wiel, lewis thorpe