To clarify, I certainly think we can be competitive next year with some moves and some players getting their **** together. I also am absolutely 100% in support of us selling this year and trading our pending free agents for some minor league pieces. But the person I was quoting was also asking for a ton of things to all break right in their hypothetical situation, and while I think we can be competitive I would not be banking on us acquiring two top tier SP + two top tier RP + multiple other quality major league pieces, and my confidence in Buxton and Sano is not particularly high. I have expectations of improvement over this year, and I expect they'll be making a fair number of FA moves and trades this offseason, but that list was definitely more moves/lucky breaks than I'd be counting on. But that isn't to say I don't think we can be competitive in 2019.
I should have prefaced my post with that I knew you were just putting his post in perspective and that we should all keep in mind that this was a pre-existing condition. I think the takeaway from this line of thought is that we have a a great deal of upside and selling opened roster spots that give us a head start figuring out the pieces.
There are not all going to work out be we have many possibilities.
1) I would love to see what a 235 lbs version of Miguel Sano could do.
2) Romero and Gonsalves working out would dramatically change the trajectory of this team. There are enough other SP prospects that we will be in darn good shape for several years if those two guys can get r' done.
3) Let Cave, Wade, and Kepler sort out who is a starter and who is a back-up. Between them we should be able to come up with a good outfield.
4) I don't think Mauer is part of the problem but he is not exactly the solution either and we need to solidify that position. Let's give Austin a shot this year and look at Rooker in spring training. Maybe even move Kepler to 1B and spread the 1B/DH ABS out between Kepler, Austin, and Rooker.
5) Can we get Escobar back on a 2-3 yr deal
6. Use a couple BP spots for auditions the rest of the year. FA relievers are not the best investment but we may have no choice. Let's do everything we can to find internal solutions.