Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Odd about Rodney

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 07:13 PM

he could pass waivers and be traded in August

I doubt he will clear. He's cheap and has been decent. 

• Sconnie likes this

#42 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,712 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 03 August 2018 - 07:16 PM

His option for next year is dirt cheap.

• Doomtints and operation mindcrime like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#43 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,286 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 10:48 PM

That is an amount they can easily apply toward a better relief option, instead. I haven't looked at who will be available, but there will be someone.

Rodney might be cost-effective by some metric, but there's something worthwhile about being simply effective without the qualifying term, too. Not to mention, being reliable.

He's an admirable guy. He seems to be completely unflappable. I still don't want him. I didn't want him when they signed him. I lost some faith in the FO when they did.

Like who? It's fine to conceive of better-valued relievers, it's another thing for that reliever to actually exist on the FA market.Heck, we signed Addison Reed, which is kind of the guy you're asking for.Relievers are no sure bets.Might be better to bring in a few on lower costs than add another 4 million to whomever.  

Rodney will be back, and it won't be stupid to bring him back.(Though he can be frustrating to watch...)

Edited by PseudoSABR, 03 August 2018 - 10:51 PM.

#44 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,811 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 04 August 2018 - 07:13 AM

Like who? It's fine to conceive of better-valued relievers, it's another thing for that reliever to actually exist on the FA market.Heck, we signed Addison Reed, which is kind of the guy you're asking for.  Relievers are no sure bets.Might be better to bring in a few on lower costs than add another 4 million to whomever.  

Rodney will be back, and it won't be stupid to bring him back.(Though he can be frustrating to watch...)

Baseball players, in general, are no sure bets. You sign one, he can become injured. I like the Addison Reed signing, and I am convinced that he has encountered/endured some kind of nagging injury that has taken the movement away from his pitches. It happens. You don't pay a player for performance, you pay for a chance. A seat at the table.

I don't know where a list of anticipated free agents is, and such a list will be very different by the time free agents must declare, anyway. I see Craig Kimbrel as not being signed beyond this season. David Robertson. Jeurys Familia just went to the Mets but I don't see that he's signed an extension. You may know details about these, or any of a dozen guys a little lower-ranked, that rules them out as targets.

Frankly I don't want to get into the weeds about this, so prematurely. I just want to set our aim higher this off-season, than someone with Rodney's track record already was when we signed him, and I accept that it will cost a lot more to do so.

• Platoon likes this

I always go the extra mile. That's what happens when you get lost easily.

#45 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,286 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 09:00 AM

Baseball players, in general, are no sure bets. You sign one, he can become injured. I like the Addison Reed signing, and I am convinced that he has encountered/endured some kind of nagging injury that has taken the movement away from his pitches. It happens. You don't pay a player for performance, you pay for a chance. A seat at the table.

I don't know where a list of anticipated free agents is, and such a list will be very different by the time free agents must declare, anyway. I see Craig Kimbrel as not being signed beyond this season. David Robertson. Jeurys Familia just went to the Mets but I don't see that he's signed an extension. You may know details about these, or any of a dozen guys a little lower-ranked, that rules them out as targets.

Frankly I don't want to get into the weeds about this, so prematurely. I just want to set our aim higher this off-season, than someone with Rodney's track record already was when we signed him, and I accept that it will cost a lot more to do so.

I certainly hope that keeping Rodney won't preclude us looking for bullpen upgrades.

• ashburyjohn likes this

#46 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,811 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 04 August 2018 - 09:48 AM

I certainly hope that keeping Rodney won't preclude us looking for bullpen upgrades.

To paraphase senator Everett Dirksen, a [m]illion here and a [m]illion there, and pretty soon you're talking big money. :) I'd retain Rodney only with spare change jingling after all other needs have been met. Given that his decision might need to come before that's settled, I'd take my chances with someone else.

I always go the extra mile. That's what happens when you get lost easily.

#47 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 01:27 AM

he could pass waivers and be traded in August

Rodney did not pass, Oakland claimed.

• Sconnie likes this

#48 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,860 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 10 August 2018 - 04:37 AM

no kidding!? Thanks for clarifying, but I’m feeling less smug :(

#49 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 10 August 2018 - 04:51 AM

I don't know the exact order of teams in the waiver system but Oakland finished tied for second worst AL record last year so they were high on the list. I'm sure he's better than at least one of their relievers so it made sense for them to make the claim. I expect he'll be used regularly, although there's no way he's supplanting Treinen as closer.

Edited by Nine of twelve, 10 August 2018 - 04:51 AM.

#50 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,220 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:32 AM

I don't know the exact order of teams in the waiver system but Oakland finished tied for second worst AL record last year so they were high on the list.

Last year's standings are only used for waiver priority in April. This was based on 2018 standings, where Oakland has the fourth best record in the AL right now. August trade waivers also go by league first, so no NL team had a chance at him.

Among contenders, it looks like Cleveland and Seattle both passed on claiming Rodney.
  • Nine of twelve likes this

#51 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:38 AM

I don't know the exact order of teams in the waiver system but Oakland finished tied for second worst AL record last year so they were high on the list. I'm sure he's better than at least one of their relievers so it made sense for them to make the claim. I expect he'll be used regularly, although there's no way he's supplanting Treinen as closer.

Same league gets preference first,standings on that day determine order. One could safely assume the team optionfor 2019 portion of the contract was not attractive to a rapidly rebuilding team