Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: MIN 5, CLE 4: Awesome Sauce!

mitch garver ervin santana miguel sano fernando rodney matt magill
  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 07:45 AM

Sano did make a baserunning mistake. Call me crazy, but I'd be willing to bet he doesn't get picked off again this year - these things happen and I can live with it. As for going 2-for-3 with a double, single, walk and an RBI...I have absolutely no problem with the strikeout.

I would be careful about comparing Sano's struggles to Buxton's. Miguel Sano has had his fair share of slumps, but he was an All-Star last year, HR derby, and he has shown a far higher level of consistency in the majors. Buxton on the other hand might be relegated to being a defensive replacement, pinch runner, 4th-outfielder type. Or a career minor leaguer. He might do well to start thinking about Japan as a backup plan. Big difference.

The hate has gone WAY too far on Buxton. Over the last 365 days he's played 84 games with the Twins and hit .254/.295/.437 (a slightly above league average OPS) in 319 PAs with 11 HRs, is 18-for-18 on stolen base attempts and obviously is elite in the field. If his second half 2017 would have come in the first half, he absolutely would have been an All-Star, he finished 18th in AL MVP voting last year.

I get it that people are disappointed he hasn't lived up to expectations and has been hurt a lot, but this is swinging way too far back the other direction. 

• Brock Beauchamp, Carole Keller, Blake and 5 others like this

#22 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,282 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 08:15 AM

Sano did make a baserunning mistake. Call me crazy, but I'd be willing to bet he doesn't get picked off again this year - these things happen and I can live with it. As for going 2-for-3 with a double, single, walk and an RBI...I have absolutely no problem with the strikeout.

I would be careful about comparing Sano's struggles to Buxton's. Miguel Sano has had his fair share of slumps, but he was an All-Star last year, HR derby, and he has shown a far higher level of consistency in the majors. Buxton on the other hand might be relegated to being a defensive replacement, pinch runner, 4th-outfielder type. Or a career minor leaguer. He might do well to start thinking about Japan as a backup plan. Big difference.

Actually, I’d argue that he didn’t get picked off. If they had challenged the call I believe it would have been overturned. Video we saw at home showed he was clearly safe. I don’t know if the technical difficulties they were having led to that not being challenged, but I don’t think Sano was out.
  • SgtSchmidt11, bighat and RichReese like this

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#23 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,282 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 08:16 AM

Tom, not sure where to ask this question, but who fills the open 25-man roster spot? (There is still one, yes? If I counted correctly.)

With Mejia set to start in Lynn’s place I’d guess we won’t be seeing Gonsalves. What about May?

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#24 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,334 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 08:25 AM

It would be absolutely amazing if the Twins swept Cleveland and were only six back.

Part of me wants them to keep Dozier on the off chance he goes nuclear and the Twins can keep it a race into September.

It would be even more amazing if the Twins started harassing Cleveland without Dozier or Rodney.

The reason the Twins haven't been very good is because their veterans have been sub-par. Dozier is one of those players.

Move players who won't contribute to 2019 and/or are expendable. Let the kids play and go into the offseason aggressive again.

There's just so little to be gained by keeping guys this season for the 1% chance of catching Cleveland, doubly so when you're eight games behind Cleveland at the deadline largely because those veterans failed to play to their capabilities.

• Carole Keller, Blake, Jerr and 3 others like this

#25 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 08:49 AM

Tom, not sure where to ask this question, but who fills the open 25-man roster spot? (There is still one, yes? If I counted correctly.)

With Mejia set to start in Lynn’s place I’d guess we won’t be seeing Gonsalves. What about May?

Yes, there is an open spot, I think I saw someone mention that a pitcher would be called up today, but I haven't seen which pitcher. Maybe they're waiting for the deadline to pass to see exactly how many sports they'll have open?

Trevor May would make would make a lot of sense, you'd have to think it'll be a right-handed reliever and he's been getting it done in Rochester. 

#26 BJames

BJames

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 09:00 AM

Is it just me, Em I seeing things or is Magill good.Seems like his fastball is 95 plus and he has a biting curve.He looks like what Pressly was suppose to be.39 K's and 8 walks, not bad.

#27 BJames

BJames

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 09:04 AM

Top 4 OPS as of today.- Rosario,Cave,Garver,Polanco.Then Kepler,Mauer.That would make an interesting top of the order. 

#28 Bill

Bill

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 09:20 AM

Anyone notice that Rodney does not seem to be warmed up when he starts an inning?First fastballs are usually low 90s.After letting on a few runners he starts to pump it up to 96 to 98. I get that he may only have a certain number of fast fastballs in him per night, but I think a different strategy might be worth a try. 

#29 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 09:45 AM

It would be even more amazing if the Twins started harassing Cleveland without Dozier or Rodney.

The reason the Twins haven't been very good is because their veterans have been sub-par. Dozier is one of those players.

Move players who won't contribute to 2019 and/or are expendable. Let the kids play and go into the offseason aggressive again.

There's just so little to be gained by keeping guys this season for the 1% chance of catching Cleveland, doubly so when you're eight games behind Cleveland at the deadline largely because those veterans failed to play to their capabilities.

I mean, it depends what you can get for Dozier. The market for him sure looks limited with most contenders solving their middle infield problems. Really the only remaining deal out there is the Indians trading for him and moving Kipnis to center. Kipnis has already looked bad out there so that's a tough call.

At some point, the Twins may decide that keeping Dozier makes more sense. Reasons:

1.) He is a marketable name down the stretch.

2.) Gordon doesn't really deserve time at the MLB level and should stay in AAA. So really, you're clearing a lineup spot for . . . Adrianza? Not a real need.

3.) If you are playing for that 1% shot, it's hard to see it happening without Brian Dozier. No one would be super shocked if he hit 18-20 home runs in August and September. He's done it before. If you're not getting anything decent for him, might as well see if he can go nuts.

4.) Along those lines, if he does go nuclear, Dozier may suddenly be worth the one-year qualifying offer. If he finishes strong, he'll likely turn it down due to pride and the ability to get a three year deal for $30-$35 mill. That 75th overall pick (and the pool money it comes with) might be more valuable than the bag of balls a team is offering you right now.

Maybe the Twins get blown away but I'm fine keeping Dozier. He blocks no one, adds some excitement down the stretch, and there's a chance he blows up and you get a better asset anyways.

Edited by ThejacKmp, 31 July 2018 - 09:47 AM.

#30 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 11:42 AM

I can't imagine the Twins keeping Ervin beyond 2018 at the rate he's going.I think they will pay the 1 million buyout.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mitch garver, ervin santana, miguel sano, fernando rodney, matt magill