Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (7/30): Duran Dominates, Stewart Stymies

kohl stewart jhoan duran ryan jeffers jose miranda sean poppen
  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 BoofBonser

BoofBonser

(not really Boof Bonser)

• 871 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 08:48 AM

Rooker's K-rate is under 25% in July .... Hope he can keep that up in August as well.

How close do you think he is at this point? He's just mashing

#22 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Banned
  • 2,037 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 31 July 2018 - 09:04 AM

Nice start for Jhoan Duran! 7 no hit innings with 8k’s and 1 walk, that’s pretty awesome. Hopefully he’ll develop well and be a bigger prospect for us in the coming years along with Graterol and Enlow.

The return for Escobar doesn't look underwhelming this AM.

#23 slash129

slash129

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 09:34 AM

How close do you think he is at this point? He's just mashing

I would guess he needs to keep up what he did in July to maybe see a week at Rochester at the end of August.

If we go SSS just back to July 18 (basically the second half of the month), then he's at a 14.5% K-Rate along with a 19.3% BB-Rate.If he kept that up through August along with the rate of power stats, I wouldn't think a September call-up would be out of the question.Of course, there are other factors like the 40-man move and any defensive improvements that he needs to make.

#24 RaymondLuxuryYacht

RaymondLuxuryYacht

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 355 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 09:43 AM

Hungry like the wolf

#25 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 10,276 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 09:53 AM

I would hope the org is OK with this. (And realize you’re not saying they shouldn’t be.) The concessions to development of putting Buxton in a AAA lineup...and as a lead off hitter no less...already having been made, Skinner decided to use Buxton’s fourth at-bat to try to win the game. If the organization doesn’t want even that type of move/decision to occur with Buxton, it would be much fairer to Rochester players and manager...and better for Buxton as well...if the Twins moved him to a level where his bat making solid contact with the ball is more than a random accident.

Disagree. The org wants Buxton to get as many at-bats as possible. He hasn't even had 190 at-bats combined yet this season. I can't imagine having him get pinch hit for helps his confidence at all, either.

He got 40 at bats to start the season then out for 10 days for migraines. Then he got 4 at bats and then missed 19 days because of his foot. Then 50 at bats before another three weeks to the DL. Then 80 at at bats before missing another 19 days or so. Now he's had all of 8 plate appearances since his most recent comeback.  

He really needs to stay healthy but he needs at-bats. I don't think the org cares if Rochester wins or not. They need Buxton to get it going and benching him isn't going to do it.

• howieramone2 likes this

#26 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,835 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 09:57 AM

I had no issues with pinch hitting at that spot, and I'm a development first guy. I just hope Byron gets healthy again. Then hits some again. For his sake more than ours.
  • Seth Stohs, slash129 and jkcarew like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#27 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,760 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 10:09 AM

So, theoretically, could Austin have hit a home run for both teams in the same game? 

That is a good question... I will have to check. 

#28 FormerMinnasotan

FormerMinnasotan

Wichita Wind Surge

• 714 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 10:57 AM

Hey if Jhoan could be one of those in the wave with Kirilloff, Lewis, and Graterol i’d Be happy.

#29 slash129

slash129

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 11:12 AM

Hey if Jhoan could be one of those in the wave with Kirilloff, Lewis, and Graterol i’d Be happy.

I just want one of the three to be good enough to trade for multiple prospects in a few years, so that Pierzynski can be the gift that keeps on giving.

• ashbury, Tomj14 and HrbekRules like this

#30 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Offseason Hawt Taek Enthusiast

• 14,005 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 31 July 2018 - 11:14 AM

I had no issues with pinch hitting at that spot, and I'm a development first guy. I just hope Byron gets healthy again. Then hits some again. For his sake more than ours.

Concur. If he's not healthy shut him down right now. If he's healthy then he's near rock bottom and they should try a different approach like sending him to Ft. Myers.
  • Mike Sixel, jokin and jkcarew like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kohl stewart, jhoan duran, ryan jeffers, jose miranda, sean poppen