Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (7/29): De La Trinidad Makes His Mark, Williams Homers Twice

ernie de la trinidad stephen gonsalves chris williams alex kirilloff royce lewis
  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,307 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 11:06 AM

Tyler Wells Instagram shows he’s on his way to Tennessee! Looks like he got the call up

Confirmed... 

• glunn and Mike Sixel like this

#22 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Banned
  • 2,037 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 30 July 2018 - 01:54 PM

Falvey was saying the same thing in the press box the other night, but he's in a position where he needs to sell hope to the fans.I'm not saying there isn't a front line starter possibility, but you have to take Falvey's words with a grain of salt.You'd never expect him to say something like, "Yeah, we unloaded Pressly for a couple guys that can eat innings at AA and then they'll probably peter out in Rochester."

I'm giving the new regime the benefit of the doubt. If he ends up being the next Alex Meyer or Trevor May, I'll know better. 

#23 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,307 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 02:12 PM

I'm giving the new regime the benefit of the doubt. If he ends up being the next Alex Meyer or Trevor May, I'll know better. 

Out of curiosity, and not directed at you but to the group... do fans expect that the prospects acquired in July trade deadline deals will pan out, and if they don't, it's on the front office? I mean, I get that thinking, but the nature of prospects is that most of them don't become stars, so I hope that people don't come out of these two trades with an assumption that the team will come away with an all star or two. That would be awesome if they did, but I don't 'think it should be the expectation. 

• glunn, birdwatcher, WLFINN and 1 other like this

#24 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,910 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 02:24 PM

Out of curiosity, and not directed at you but to the group... do fans expect that the prospects acquired in July trade deadline deals will pan out, and if they don't, it's on the front office? I mean, I get that thinking, but the nature of prospects is that most of them don't become stars, so I hope that people don't come out of these two trades with an assumption that the team will come away with an all star or two. That would be awesome if they did, but I don't 'think it should be the expectation. 

We also should be looking at what the Twins traded away.They gave up 2 months of Escobar and a year + 2 months of Pressley (that's right, isn't it?).Getting four prospects in return with all four in their Top 20...plus another kid that's ripping the cover off the ball his first two games.I view that as a good return.Will any of them pan out?We'll know in four or five years.That's the unfortunately part, this is a long term investment.

• glunn likes this

#25 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Banned
  • 2,037 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 30 July 2018 - 02:44 PM

As you know, 90% of all prospects never make it out of "A" ball. 4 of the 5 look good to me. We picked up 2 good arms to improve our numbers, along with 2 athletic outfielders. I fully expect this to be our 3rd strong deadline in a row. No idea when we will see the results.

Edited by howieramone2, 30 July 2018 - 02:48 PM.

• birdwatcher likes this

#26 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,748 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 03:16 PM

Out of five prospects where three or so are organizational top 30 guys? I'd expect one to turn into a decent contributor, two of them to make it to the show.

If none of them pan out it is on the front office, they picked these players themselves. I won't criticize them for making the decision to trade, but yeah, it's on them. 

And I fully supported them for doing it. It's just part of the job, Molitor has to make a decision whether to use Addison Reed for the third day in a row and Berrios has to decide if he trusts his curveball on a 3-2 count.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#27 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 8,240 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 03:24 PM

I won't blame them at all. These are all lottery tickets, and I'm of "the more lottery tickets you can accumulate, the higher your odds of hitting one" line of approach.

If they are trading Gibson or Berrios or Rosario, then yeah, I'd judge the results, because you should be getting better than lottery tickets in those kinds of deals.
  • birdwatcher, Mike Sixel and wyowib like this

#28 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,307 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 05:05 PM

Out of five prospects where three or so are organizational top 30 guys? I'd expect one to turn into a decent contributor, two of them to make it to the show.

This is a reasonable expectation, or at least a reasonable hope. 

• glunn likes this

#29 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,307 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 05:05 PM

I won't blame them at all. These are all lottery tickets, and I'm of "the more lottery tickets you can accumulate, the higher your odds of hitting one" line of approach.

Well said, and that'd my biggest point on why I think accumulating quantity to go with quality is so important. 

• glunn and Mike Sixel like this

#30 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 10,155 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 10:06 AM

I don't expect all of them to pan out but I do expect some of them to pan out. It's not quite fair to compare these acquired prospects to "all prospects" in the sense that most prospects are just org filler. These guys clearly are not. But I do think that fans should expect the FO to make good trades. We've moved a lot of guys in the last year or so and we'll see what the returns are but if Garcia, Escobar, Kinztler, Lynn, Pressly and Duke (am I forgetting others?) are traded away for nothing in the long run, then it means our FO has some explaining to do. Doesn't mean they made a mistake necessarily but they have some explaining.

• Mike Sixel likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ernie de la trinidad, stephen gonsalves, chris williams, alex kirilloff, royce lewis