Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: BOS 10, MIN 4: Twins Blow Lead in Spectacular Fashion

jake odorizzi miguel sano matt magill gabriel moya
  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,375 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 09:58 AM

If there was already a deal in place to send Duke to Boston, they would announce it and he’d be in their uniform. They wouldn’t wait until after the series.

Ha, you think the Twins FO works on weekends.

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#22 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 10:12 AM

Pressly and Escobar aren’t relevant to the conversation because they never worked in-season with the minor league player development personnel. The comment you quoted of mine was in direct response to a post about acquiring minor league prospects.

I made no mention of Sano or Buxton.

So, that is twice in a single post that you directed your response in a completely different way than the post to which you were replying.

I’m not going to change my opinion. The results on the field for the last 7 or so years speak for themselves.

So you're basically going to blame Alex Meyer and Trevor May not panning out on the guys currently in charge? Sorry, without you actually saying what you mean you're leaving a lot of gray area. 

Here's what I'm saying: The best chance the Twins have at a sustained run of success is through building from the bottom up. Yes, add prospects. Loads of them! And once you're in a position to compete, you'll also have the opportunity to cash a few of them in for MLB talent if you see fit, just like Arizona and Boston just did.

Again, sorry, I'm not super sure what specifically you're trying to say, but I'm just puzzled that so many people don't see the value in acquiring prospects/beefing up the system. It can work. We've seen it.

Whatever failures there have been on the development side the blunders in trying to acquire MLB talent have been worse, in my opinion.

SO THERE, EVERYTHING SUCKS, OK. Can't develop players, can't buy 'em either. Happy now? :)

Now please excuse me while I go check to see if the domain www.DiamondbacksDaily.com is available ...

• 70charger, h2oface and Dman like this

#23 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 10:23 AM

Just because there are new people at the top doesn’t mean the people in the trenches actually working with players has changed.

Indeed, there have been only a handful of reported changes of minor league coaches, managers, etc. And many of the people moved were reassigned, not simply dismissed. Doug Mientkiewicz being the notable exception. Same people. Same culture. Same results. If Falvine wants organizational methods to change, that is where changes need to be made.

I will agree the Twins have been no better at trades and free agents. The kind of lousiness the Twins have experienced is organization wide failure.

The changes have been cosmetic, at best.

Edited by yarnivek1972, 29 July 2018 - 10:25 AM.

#24 adorduan

adorduan

• Members
  • 613 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 10:28 AM

Well, as far as Sano and last nights game, I'll just quote The Who."Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"....

#25 Roaddog

Roaddog

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 11:34 AM

Sano is always gonna strike out. It's who he is as a player. But that doesn't mean he can't be a productive player. Jim Thome struck out over 2500 times. Not saying Sano will ever approach Thome's career but the point is, big power sometimes leads to big strikeouts

#26 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 11:42 AM

Sano is always gonna strike out. It's who he is as a player. But that doesn't mean he can't be a productive player. Jim Thome struck out over 2500 times. Not saying Sano will ever approach Thome's career but the point is, big power sometimes leads to big strikeouts

Thome struck out 2500 times in over 10,000 plate appearances. His career rate was less than 25%. And he had a 5.9% HR rate. Sano’s career rate is 36.4%. His career HR rate is 5.3%.

Thome struck out considerably less and went deep more frequently.

So, yeah Sano isn’t Thome. That’s not GOOD news. Because that is kinda what the Twins need him to be.

#27 adorduan

adorduan

• Members
  • 613 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 11:50 AM

Thome struck out 2500 times in over 10,000 plate appearances. His career rate was less than 25%. And he had a 5.9% HR rate. Sano’s career rate is 36.4%. His career HR rate is 5.3%.

Thome struck out considerably less and went deep more frequently.

So, yeah Sano isn’t Thome. That’s not GOOD news. Because that is kinda what the Twins need him to be.

Yeah, he needs to be closer to Jim Thome than Rob Deer....

#28 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,375 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 12:15 PM

The best chance the Twins have at a sustained run of success is through building from the bottom up. Yes, add prospects. Loads of them! And once you're in a position to compete, you'll also have the opportunity to cash a few of them in for MLB talent if you see fit, just like Arizona and Boston just did.

That's part of it. Andy MacPhail would say you have to do both. You have to feed the minor leagues but also supplement with free agency.

And you know what? The current FO seems to be doing just that. They were active in free agency during the offseason. They're selling people at midseason to supplement the minors.

Falvey was even quoted this week saying you have to feed all parts of the system.

This front office is acting like they get it, which many young Twins fans have simply never seen before. This is almost "paint by numbers for running a baseball team" right now.

Let's hope we NEVER go back to a GM who only will feed the minor league system and do nothing else.

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jake odorizzi, miguel sano, matt magill, gabriel moya