Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

mlb.tv

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Curt

Curt

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:40 PM

I would love to drop my cable but Twins broadcasts keep me tethered. I looked at mlb.tv and it looks like Twins games would be blacked out here in Minnesota. Can that be? Any locals using mlb.tv? It seems absurd to pay $125 per year if I won't get the Twins games.

#2 woolhouse

woolhouse

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:51 PM

Local games are blacked out, and it goes by your I.P. address. You get the full game an hour or so after last pitch... I, too, would drop the $100 for it, but not if I can't watch them live. I don't know if FSN is to blame, or the local cable providers like Comcast/Xfinity (who I generally blame everything on anyway.)

#3 TwinsMusings

TwinsMusings

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:02 PM

The real culprit in this issue is the FCC. They established the Sports Blackout Rule following 1999 legislation. Here is the page where you can find the detailed documents. According to news reports a couple of weeks ago, there is a move by five Democratic Senators to get that rule changed.

Those of us in Iowa are also caught in this blackout rule for the Twins, but in our case it includes 6 major league teams because Iowa is supposedly in the media market for all of those teams.

I'm really hoping for a change soon, but not holding my breath.

#4 Curt

Curt

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:50 PM

I guess they make more on broadcast revenue if they assure the broadcaster a blackout. Still, seems like a waste of an opportunity. Clearly there would be ways around it with proxies and vpns but I guess I'll stick with cable for now. Thanks for the replies.

#5 Greg

Greg

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:39 AM

I am caught out here in SW Mn aalso. We had a package of channels that included espn and fsn. Cost me $22 a month. But our area REA's that had this program guit this service. The cheapest I can get the Twins (and a whole lot of other channels I don't want) is over $60 per month for two years. Yikes - What goes on here!!!!

#6 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:35 AM

I signed on with MLB tv in August last year. It was prorated, so I spent about $60, and it was worth it, because I was able to see Thome hit #600. My two year old saw it too, and witnessed my excitement, and ever since, he has been in to baseball. However, I didn't renew this year. I was ticked off that no playoff games were available, and I don't have cable. Plus, maybe due to my specific internet provider, but alot of times the games would freeze or come in very low def.

#7 MC

MC

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:02 AM

I'd too would drop cable if it weren't for Wolves/Twins broadcasts only being available through TV in the local market. The way I see it though is that MLB won't make any changes because they'd erode the value of the TV contract rights. The way it's set-up now probably allows them to maximize both local TV contracts and then the national rights probably net them out to about the same. It's a premium price for both the packages whether mlb.tv or through your provider. I really don't see a path for this to change.

#8 RyeGuy

RyeGuy

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:24 AM

The blackout rule does suck. I've found the only way I can really watch baseball is on my ipad. I can follow the game and get other stuff done without being tethered to a tv. Luckily in Winnipeg none of the twins games are blacked out however all Blue Jay games are blacked out for the entire country.

#9 tobynotjason

tobynotjason

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:27 PM

This will be my 3rd or 4th year. I work evenings and don't mind watching the Twins on delay. I follow the Pirates as much or moreso than the hometown club these days, and I watch a fair amount of other games depending on pitching matchups and whatnot. I feel like I get my money's worth and then some. I haven't had cable TV in almost a decade.

#10 whydidnt

whydidnt

• Members
  • 394 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:44 PM

Right now local TV revenue is soaring for a lot MLB teams, including the Twins. MLB does not want to stop that gravy train, so they will continue to impose the blackouts for the foreseeable future. The ridiculous part is the size of the media markets. People who aren't even able to receive FSN locally are blacked out from MLB.TV. Don't know what FSN charges the cable companies per subscriber each month, but I have a hard time believing it adds up to more than $100.00 per subscriber per year, (guessing it's closer to $50- $60) so it would seem MLB could make more selling directly to consumers, but what do I know? One thing that has become clear over the last few years is that the major media companies are going to fight the change to Internet based, ala carte, viewing of TV until they use every possible resource at their disposal.

#11 spideyo

spideyo

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:59 PM

It would all be a helluva lot easier to deal with for us consumers if they'd just let us pay for ONLY the channels we wanted.

#12 RyeGuy

RyeGuy

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:21 PM

Only time will tell....The "main stream mediaization" of the internet (internet2) Will ultimately decide what the end game is..

#13 puck34

puck34

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:26 PM

I couldn't live without MLB.tv. Yes, the twins are blacked out, but you can watch a replay of any game including the twins. I watch the package on the iPad and you can switch from game to game and home or away broadcast. You can even quickly do an overlay of the boxscore while watching the game. I never have a problem with feed and I'm using comcast high speed. If you enjoy watching any game you choose or even a certain team, it's well worth the price.

#14 BD57

BD57

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:47 PM

MLB.tv is great. There's also MLB at bat which works on smart phones.

#15 Axel Kohagen

Axel Kohagen

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:55 PM

Okay, so it's not just me who got confused and frustrated dealing with watching Twins games on a budget. I guess it all makes sense, economically speaking. After all, I AM willing to shell out the money to get enough cable to watch the games (even if I will bitch and moan about it the whole time). So I guess it's worth it for me, or I wouldn't do that.

#16 jtrinaldi

jtrinaldi

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:51 AM

I couldn't live without MLB.tv. Yes, the twins are blacked out, but you can watch a replay of any game including the twins. I watch the package on the iPad and you can switch from game to game and home or away broadcast. You can even quickly do an overlay of the boxscore while watching the game. I never have a problem with feed and I'm using comcast high speed. If you enjoy watching any game you choose or even a certain team, it's well worth the price.

so because I live in Milwaukee, if I got MILB TV would I be able to view the Brewers games?
Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
http://www.facebook....256164664420932

#17 FranTheMan

FranTheMan

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:12 AM

Don't think FCC has anything to do with the blackouts. The NBA package is not affected. In fact, NBA games aren't blacked out in League Pass, even when the opponent network is the only one carrying a game. This is all about MLB. They have fans willing to pay (most are 'displaced, such as Yankees fans in Kentucky) and so there's no reason to change from MLB's perspective. Even though a black-out free MLB package would be great for promoting the game and would sell like (something less cliche than hotcakes). I am in-market for Twins games, but bought mlb.tv yesterday, so I will be able to see the AL Central rivals, plus the Rockies and Dbacks (closet fan of both, even before Cuddyer and Kubel) and be able to hear Vin Scully all game. I paid $124.99 for premium. One improvement this year is premium buyers get the At Bat app, unlocked for mlb.tv, no blackout radio and GameDay graphics, included for no extra charge. Have it set up on my iPad and iTouch and worked great for yesterday's Yanks/Phils ST game. Last season, this app cost $14.99 and if you wanted it on more than one device, you had to pay that price for each device.

#18 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 7,259 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:28 AM

The blackout rules are ridiculous. If MLB.tv (or any internet service) carries the feed from the local broacast, then the station and advertisers get what they want anyway. I'd pay for the right to watch the NFL and MLB on my various devices, but I'm not going to pay $60-100 a month for cable, I just don't watch that much tv.

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you. :)

#19 Curt

Curt

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:45 AM

... and advertisers get what they want anyway....

Wait.. There are commercials? Can I start watching half-way through and zap the commercials like I do with my cable box? If not, it will be a deal killer. I can't stand the idea of watching the same commercials 3000 times.

#20 RyeGuy

RyeGuy

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:09 PM

There's no commercial on MLB.tv, just a page that say's "commercial break in progress"...Wish they could get rid of these for the archive games.

#21 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 7,259 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:22 PM

But, if they put the commercials in, there would be no difference. But because advertisers and tv stations are stuck in 1970.....

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you. :)

#22 willjR0k5

willjR0k5

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:57 AM

The only way around the MLB.TV blackout restrictions is to subscribe to or reroute your routers to use a different IP Address Proxy. This basically makes the controlling factors which determine your location think that you're actually located in a different place within the country and therefore you wont be blacked out.

#23 StormJH1

StormJH1

• Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:05 AM

I am in-market for Twins games, but bought mlb.tv yesterday, so I will be able to see the AL Central rivals, plus the Rockies and Dbacks (closet fan of both, even before Cuddyer and Kubel) and be able to hear Vin Scully all game. I paid $124.99 for premium. One improvement this year is premium buyers get the At Bat app, unlocked for mlb.tv, no blackout radio and GameDay graphics, included for no extra charge. Have it set up on my iPad and iTouch and worked great for yesterday's Yanks/Phils ST game. Last season, this app cost $14.99 and if you wanted it on more than one device, you had to pay that price for each device.

I LOVE the At-Bat app for Apple devices. They did make it "universal" this year, which means it works on iPad, iPhone, etc. all on the same account for one price. I had it on BlackBerry for a couple of years, and it was nice to have, but since the phones suck, this is at least 3 times better. Granted, much of the content (game highlights, box scores, etc.) is available on computers for free. Doesn't matter. The app works great and allows you to follow the games as they happen. You get the radio feeds for ALL games (including in-market), which is nice for smartphones. Plus, the "free game of the day" is pretty damn cool. Yes, it's randomly selected, but I've already been exposed to some NL teams, etc. that I basically never see on TV.

#24 edavis0308

edavis0308

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:07 AM

The real culprit in this issue is the FCC. They established the Sports Blackout Rule following 1999 legislation. Here is the page where you can find the detailed documents. According to news reports a couple of weeks ago, there is a move by five Democratic Senators to get that rule changed.

Those of us in Iowa are also caught in this blackout rule for the Twins, but in our case it includes 6 major league teams because Iowa is supposedly in the media market for all of those teams.

I also am in Iowa and for any of you this is relevent to, the only way I can watch Twins games here was by getting DirecTV with the regional sports package. Mediacom defaults to carry FSMidwest, which shows Cardinals. I called and complained several times because they are arbitrarily choosing the Cards out of the 6 blackout teams, but what do I know apparently. Needless to say, Mediacom won't be getting business from me anymore if I can at all help it.

#25 VodkaDave

VodkaDave

Banned

• Banned
  • 97 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:34 AM

MLB app is free on itunes this year

#26 whydidnt

whydidnt

• Members
  • 394 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:55 AM

I don't think the rule applies to mlb.tv since it's not satellite transmission. MLB.tv is purely internet based, and the blackout rules are set by MLB. They very well may be based upon the FCC's satellite rules, but I don't believe they have to follow those rules for internet transmissions. I think the blackout rules are in place to protect local tv revenue, especially since now all local games are moving to paid channels like Fox. Teams are getting huge rights fees for the local cable/satellite only stations, and those stations are in turn charing the providers huge monthly fees, which we all pay. MLB isn't going to mess with this revenue stream, not when you see it contributing to people bidding over $1B for a bankrupt Dodgers team.

#27 Shaun in Chicago

Shaun in Chicago

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:40 AM

I used a proxy a few times when the Twins were playing the White Sox (didn't want to listen to the Hawk during the broadcast). Kind of a pain to find a good enough proxy for the initial connection. But once you have the game loaded, you can turn off the proxy and stream without problem as long as you don't close the MLB Media Player.

#28 Intramural Legend

Intramural Legend

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:57 PM

Wait.. There are commercials? Can I start watching half-way through and zap the commercials like I do with my cable box? If not, it will be a deal killer. I can't stand the idea of watching the same commercials 3000 times.

Sometimes there are commercials, others there are not. They play the same three over and over again. They do have a DVR like setting, but I don't think you can schedule the game to record (Not positive on that)

#29 whydidnt

whydidnt

• Members
  • 394 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:21 PM

Can't speak for the "basic" plan, but the premium does include DVR like functionality. You can elect to start watching an in-progress game from the beginning. You can fast forward or simply skip to a different point in the game. However, my experience is that the fast forward is not as functional as most cable/satellite boxes. You can't see the action as your fast forwarding so you have to guess at when to stop and get back to the action. There are a few commercials, but usually you just see a commercial break place holder.