Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: BOS 4, MIN 3: No Escobar, but at Least We Still Have Belisle

eddie rosario lance lynn fernando rodney matt belisle
  • Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 22,059 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 28 July 2018 - 07:55 AM

lol, “key game”.
Season is over. These trades prove it.

The season wasn’t over as far as I’m concerned.

Regardless, I’d expect better roster management out of our front office.
  • Mike Sixel likes this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#22 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,089 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 08:03 AM

I feel like typing Rosario another 24 times because he is the highlight of our roster and I am not sure what to look at next.  

It would be great to see your colored reliever chart for the entire year.It seems to me that Molitor gets into a groove with one pitcher and just rides him into the dust - game after game until failure.At the same time Magill is a maximum puzzle.His results have been decent, but he does not pitch - the complete opposite of old friend Belisle.

Of course as I look at Molitor for this I believe we have a bench coach, a pitching coach, an assistant pitching coach, an assistant coach in charge of metrics, and a bullpen coach - all of whom might point this out if they are doing their jobs. 

Six starters, 2 bench, I have been confused over roster management all year.The bench has been a disaster, the handling of minor league arms is a puzzle.  

Now I expect Sano at 3B so I guess that fixes the lineup?

#23 dougd

dougd

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 08:33 AM

In his last seven games, Magill has given up an earned run in six of them. In his previous nine games, Belisle had given up earned runs in one game (and lots of runs in that game).

#24 Twodogs

Twodogs

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 746 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 08:39 AM

And Rodney once again is the MLB blown saves leader. Now there is a trade I would love to see. He just thinks he can throw it right down the pipe, flat with no movement, and blow it by hitters. That pitch was such meat. Kepler almost had it. I thought he was going to get it.

Molitor must live in a dream world, dreaming that this was last year and Belisle could actually be counted on. I mean really, two 89 mph 4 seamers in the exact same place, belt high and right down the middle of the zone. And all night, on all sports networks, tv and radio both, I have been suffering through the clip. Just release the guy, already.

For these two tourists to destroy Rosario getting to Kimbrel is just criminal.

Rodney isn't really a closer.

He just tends to make things closer. 😀
  • h2oface, Danchat, spycake and 1 other like this

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#25 Twodogs

Twodogs

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 746 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 08:40 AM

I am impressed that he can throw 95 at his age though.

#26 Twodogs

Twodogs

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 746 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 08:50 AM

I was listening to the game last night in XM radio, so I had to listen to the Red Sox announcers. Before the game they made some observations about Lance Lynn. They were thinking out loud that Lynn's struggles could be weight related? (Maybe like Sano?). They observed that Lance was probably well over 300 pounds. They mentioned that when Lance was with St. Louis they had gotten him a nutritionist that worked with him and got his weight down and they think that's why he pitched better there. They were thinking that with his weight that he tires out more as the game goes on than other pitchers?? Then as the game advanced, they were talking like; he's going to walk someone here pretty soon, and then the 4th and 5th innings they were both saying someone in our lineup is going to start pounding him, it's getting to that point in the game and then when Nunez hit that double they both said, here it comes! Shortly after the Bo soxs hit that home run and those guys were talking like they knew it was coming against Lynn, it was a matter of time to them. The night before when Gibson was pitching they did not talk like that at all. It was interesting.
  • h2oface and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#27 Miggy's Little Helper

Miggy's Little Helper

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 09:24 AM

Last night was just further proof that Paul Molitor shouldn't be managing a little league team, let alone a Major League Baseball team.The bullpen usage in the 9th and 10th was practically criminal to the point that, if you wanted to, you could reasonably believe that he (perhaps at the direction of Falvine) was trying to throw the game.

Rodney threw 25 pitches on Thursday, and had thrown three out of the last four.  We all lived the FRE on Thursday.That's reason enough to give him a day off.BUT EVEN MORE THAN THAT, we had a rested Zach Duke and three hitters that are essentially useless against LHP due up in the bottom of the 9th.Devers (R/L OPS): .759/.590.Nunez: .670/.543.Leon: .623/.601.HOW DUMB COULD YOU BE? 

Then Belisle.Both by the eyeball test and stats, if you run Belisle in a tie game, you should immediately be cuffed, thrown in a paddy wagon, and transported to your local holding facility.Molitor did it on Wednesday for two innings and got away with it.He did it again last night and, quelle surprise, was burned.It's amazing how rate statistics work. 

• h2oface likes this

#28 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 09:27 AM

Last night was just further proof that Paul Molitor shouldn't be managing a little league team, let alone a Major League Baseball team.The bullpen usage in the 9th and 10th was practically criminal to the point that, if you wanted to, you could reasonably believe that he (perhaps at the direction of Falvine) was trying to throw the game.

Rodney threw 25 pitches on Thursday, and had thrown three out of the last four.  We all lived the FRE on Thursday.That's reason enough to give him a day off.BUT EVEN MORE THAN THAT, we had a rested Zach Duke and three hitters that are essentially useless against LHP due up in the bottom of the 9th.Devers (R/L OPS): .759/.590.Nunez: .670/.543.Leon: .623/.601.HOW DUMB COULD YOU BE? 

Then Belisle.Both by the eyeball test and stats, if you run Belisle in a tie game, you should immediately be cuffed, thrown in a paddy wagon, and transported to your local holding facility.Molitor did it on Wednesday for two innings and got away with it.He did it again last night and, quelle surprise, was burned.It's amazing how rate statistics work. 

I was feeling this way as well, but who knows--maybe a deal for Duke was in the works too, and fell through or something.  I'm guessing that is why Wilson didn't play, as well...

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#29 Miggy's Little Helper

Miggy's Little Helper

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 09:57 AM

I was feeling this way as well, but who knows--maybe a deal for Duke was in the works too, and fell through or something.  I'm guessing that is why Wilson didn't play, as well...

That thought certainly crossed my mind as well, and if that's the case, I put that on both Molitor and Falvine.If Duke wasn't available, then you try to cross over to Mejia (and if you're concerned about warm up time, you get him started during the 8th--and then you doubly wonder why he's even on the roster).Beyond that, yesterday the roster was a mess.6 starters, down one position player, down one reliever, and then, if Duke wasn't available, you want to hold back ANOTHER reliever (on a day that Lance Lynn in pitching no less).Ugh.

I can't wait to see that big Wilson haul...Do you think we could trade Wilson for Realmuto straight up?

Edited by Miggy's Little Helper, 28 July 2018 - 10:01 AM.

• Han Joelo likes this

#30 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 10:57 AM

Rodney knows he doesn't have to bounce his changeup 5 feet in front of the plate right?

• h2oface likes this

#31 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,856 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 10:59 AM

The front office really handicapped the Twins in this game. It is hard enough to beat the Red Sox with 25 much less 23.
  • USAFChief, h2oface and spycake like this

#32 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 11:05 AM

That thought certainly crossed my mind as well, and if that's the case, I put that on both Molitor and Falvine.If Duke wasn't available, then you try to cross over to Mejia (and if you're concerned about warm up time, you get him started during the 8th--and then you doubly wonder why he's even on the roster).Beyond that, yesterday the roster was a mess.6 starters, down one position player, down one reliever, and then, if Duke wasn't available, you want to hold back ANOTHER reliever (on a day that Lance Lynn in pitching no less).Ugh.

I can't wait to see that big Wilson haul...Do you think we could trade Wilson for Realmuto straight up?

Yeah, in the end, I'm reminded of my dear old JV Football coach, purveyor of classic inspirational quotes like "Don't get in a pissing contest with a skunk," or, "You've got em in bed, now make love to em."  In this case I'm thinking of: "Piss-poor planning prevents perfect performance."

It may not be a perfect analogy, but I am reminded of (I think) the Castillo trade, which precipitated the end of the Johan era, and competitiveness in general, for a decade.

#33 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,433 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 12:45 PM

The front office really handicapped the Twins in this game. It is hard enough to beat the Red Sox with 25 much less 23.

If the FO was interested in winning last night (and by extension, the rest of 2018) they wouldn’t have traded those players in the first place.

#34 David HK

David HK

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 2,873 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 28 July 2018 - 04:18 PM

I'm echoing some comments here- some reason can't like nor quote on the mobile--
But my gawd, for a team like this to gut it out like this- In Fenway - they didn't deserve this loss. Losing key guys in the trades notwithstanding, this loss is all on the MoY, and his inane BP usage this past week.
Rosario is a hero. Even lance Lynn stepped up like a mensch. Ultrashort bench, half of whom is the inexplicable B.Wilson, and still they fought.
And their MoY didn't give em a proper chance to win, a chance any number of TD posters could have set up better.
So many things have gone wrong this season, but once again this year, so many games have been fritted away by the dugout.

#35 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,446 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 28 July 2018 - 04:27 PM

I was listening to the game last night in XM radio, so I had to listen to the Red Sox announcers. Before the game they made some observations about Lance Lynn. They were thinking out loud that Lynn's struggles could be weight related? (Maybe like Sano?). They observed that Lance was probably well over 300 pounds. They mentioned that when Lance was with St. Louis they had gotten him a nutritionist that worked with him and got his weight down and they think that's why he pitched better there. They were thinking that with his weight that he tires out more as the game goes on than other pitchers?? Then as the game advanced, they were talking like; he's going to walk someone here pretty soon, and then the 4th and 5th innings they were both saying someone in our lineup is going to start pounding him, it's getting to that point in the game and then when Nunez hit that double they both said, here it comes! Shortly after the Bo soxs hit that home run and those guys were talking like they knew it was coming against Lynn, it was a matter of time to them. The night before when Gibson was pitching they did not talk like that at all. It was interesting.

And wait until you see Pineda. He was around 300 before he had been on break with the surgery. It always amazes me that professional athletes don't take control of their own fitness. That is all they have to do, and are paid handsomely.

#36 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,785 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 04:47 PM

Pure disgust. And not with the players, even Belisle. Pressley should've closed that win out. Time for the players to put up the life-size cardboard cutout of Falvey.

If the players are mad, they should be mad at each other, they were the ones who put themselves in this position with their terrible play.

I'm sure the Twins will go on another winning streak. Then another streak where they bottom out. Good teams don't play this inconsistently as we've seen them do since Molitor took over.
  • Riverbrian and wsnydes like this

#37 Arrrrj

Arrrrj

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 05:01 PM

Screw it! Let’s trade everyone except Rosario and see what happens!

#38 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,324 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 05:25 PM

The season wasn’t over as far as I’m concerned.

Regardless, I’d expect better roster management out of our front office.

Agreed, 100%.

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#39 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,823 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 28 July 2018 - 05:33 PM

If the players are mad, they should be mad at each other, they were the ones who put themselves in this position with their terrible play.

I'm sure the Twins will go on another winning streak. Then another streak where they bottom out. Good teams don't play this inconsistently as we've seen the do since Molitor took over.

We didn't hit our sales goal once and corporate declared that we would have to let someone go as a consequence. (Non Sales Position Of Course).  

Everybody was pretty pissed about it but we hit our goal the following years. 

• nicksaviking likes this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eddie rosario, lance lynn, fernando rodney, matt belisle