Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (7/26): Kirilloff Hitting Streak Continues, Tyler Watson Pitches a Gem

alex kirilloff taylor grzelakowski tyler watson michael davis brent rooker
  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,901 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 09:16 AM

Funny, I was kidding when I typed "free Kiriloff".....but looking at Soto and some others, maybe he should move up.

No "maybes" about it. It's often said to be axiomatic that the toughest jump for a prospect is to master High A. Kiriloff is making that "adjustment" look like child's play.

Despite missing a season of development and his youthful disadvantages relative to his peers, the kid appears to be a natural born hitter. Can't wait until he further expands the power aspects to his bat.

• Mike Sixel, gunnarthor, BoofBonser and 2 others like this

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#22 JLease

JLease

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 568 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 09:45 AM

Kirilloff just keeps on rolling. I keep going back and forth on promoting him. It's been a pretty short time in High A. It's a fairly small sample size. He's only 20. But my goodness he just keeps. on. hitting!

I'm not worried about walks when he's hitting over .380 with an OBP over .400. That seems fine to me.

30 games or so left in the minor league season. Does it make sense to jump him up another level for 30 games? Does it mean anything? Hard to think he shouldn't be starting at AA next season regardless, and going to the AFL sounds like a good idea too.

I dunno, but it's starting to look like we might have a gem here.

• MN_ExPat and rdehring like this

#23 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 09:47 AM

It's probably hard to be selective when you're crushing everything. I'd hope we'd find out more if he can be selective once teams start pitching around him.

Though I wouldn't complain too much if he has that Vlad Guerrero/Eddie Rosario gene where he can somehow barrel up any pitch anywhere.

Yeah, I mean there are definitely strong similarities to Rosario . . . left-handed hitter, corner outfielder, line-drive oriented swing, ability to make hard contact all over (and sometimes outside) of the zone. It's pretty rare for that last bit to work in the Majors and it did take Rosario 800+ plate appearances to figure it out, but either way I'm not concerned at all with Kirilloff . . . I think he's just a natural hitter who will make whatever tweaks he has to as he moves up.

If you ain't got no haters, you ain't poppin'.

#24 slash129

slash129

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 10:38 AM

Nick Gordon drew a walk.Is that more news-worthy than Kirilloff's six consecutive multi-hit games?

• Oldgoat_MN, Twinsbar107 and rdehring like this

#25 slash129

slash129

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 10:57 AM

Kirilloff is up to #31 on MLB Pipeline Top 100

#26 FormerMinnasotan

FormerMinnasotan

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 10:59 AM

Is there any cause for concern with Romero? His strike outs are down and he’s had 2 subpar starts in a row. He’s at 110 or so innings now so my concern is he’s breaking down just like last year.

#27 slash129

slash129

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 11:27 AM

Is there any cause for concern with Romero? His strike outs are down and he’s had 2 subpar starts in a row. He’s at 110 or so innings now so my concern is he’s breaking down just like last year.

The fact that he went 7 2/3 is a good sign compared to last year.He never went more than 5 innings after June 25 last season.

• MN_ExPat likes this

#28 BJames

BJames

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 01:42 PM

I'd love to see both Krilloff and Rooker bumped up or see them together at AA.

#29 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 736 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 07:08 AM

I'm having more fun following the Twins' minor league players than the ones on the big league club this summer. It's gonna be sad when their respective seasons end in the coming weeks.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: alex kirilloff, taylor grzelakowski, tyler watson, michael davis, brent rooker