Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: MIN 2, BOS 1: Gibby the Great

kyle gibson fernando rodney mitch garver
  • Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#141 Loosey

Loosey

Non-Roster Invitee

• Members
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 01:17 PM

The Twins will not get a return that will be better in 2019 than Gibson. I’m 99 percent confident in that. I want the Twins to do everything in their power to compete not later than 2019.

So I don’t care if some team offers a top prospect. That guy will be in A ball, or lower, and I’m not interested.

I'm with you.I think this team is better in 2019 with Gibson than with whomever they get in a trade (which is likely a minor league prospect)

#142 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,284 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 01:19 PM

I'm with you.I think this team is better in 2019 with Gibson than with whomever they get in a trade (which is likely a minor league prospect)

I don't think anyone disagree with the fact they'll be better in 19 with Gibson than a minor league player.....I think some disagree they'll be competitive next year....I'm firmly on the fence, since I don't know their plans.

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#143 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 01:26 PM

I think it's inaccurate and misleading.

Over the past 365 days, Gibson has thrown 192 innings, 185 K's, a 3.46 ERA, and a 1.227 WHIP.

He might fall back, but he's been legitimately, consistently good over the past year. Every pitcher throws a dud once in a while.

I'm not ragging on how he's pitched this season.

I'm not sure why we need to lump in a number of poor starts through July and August with his September starts & this season. His ERA entering his August 22nd start last season was essentially the same as when he took the mound July 4th. That isn't inaccurate and I'm not sure what about it is misleading. He wasn't pitching at the level he is now during that stretch. It doesn't take anything away from what he's doing now to recognize that. 

#144 Loosey

Loosey

Non-Roster Invitee

• Members
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 01:45 PM

I don't think anyone disagree with the fact they'll be better in 19 with Gibson than a minor league player.....I think some disagree they'll be competitive next year....I'm firmly on the fence, since I don't know their plans.

I think they are competitive next year.Almost everything that could have gone wrong this year has gone wrong, with very little unexpected success stories happening. . . . and they still are "only" 7 games out at the deadline.

On July 27, 2019 add 10 wins to where they are today and you have a 58-43 team.It sounds like a lot, but I think that is something they can do.They are better than their record and have played awful over stretches. 

#145 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,284 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 01:55 PM

I think they are competitive next year.Almost everything that could have gone wrong this year has gone wrong, with very little unexpected success stories happening. . . . and they still are "only" 7 games out at the deadline.

On July 27, 2019 add 10 wins to where they are today and you have a 58-43 team.It sounds like a lot, but I think that is something they can do.They are better than their record and have played awful over stretches. 

Rosario and Escobar and Berrios and Gibson have been about as good as they can be, so I'm not sure nothing has gone better than expected. As for injuries, they are below median in the league for WAR lost to injuries.

they have 1 SP that has missed any real time, that is remarkably healthy. 

• Platoon likes this

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#146 mngopherguy

mngopherguy

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 03:18 PM

I would be inclined to keep Gibson, but I would not mind a 3 team trade where:

1.the Yankees or Red Sox get Gibson,

2. the Twins get Realmuto and

3. the Marlins get top prospects from the Twins and from the Yankees or Red Sox.

Gibson's effectiveness against both the Yankees and Red Sox this year might help create a bidding war.

Interesting outside the box trade, but I think I'd want some pitching coming back even at a lower level to accept this.  

• glunn likes this

#147 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,854 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 27 July 2018 - 03:43 PM

'
As you know, I've been arguing to pick a path.....

either add MLB talent, or add more high ceiling minor league players....

But don't ride the middle.

So, sure, I'm happy to trade for Realmuto or a legit OF/DH/1B type.....but if they don't bring in outside talent, they are not, imo, good enough to compete with NYY, BOS, Houston, a fully healthy LAA, and probably not CLE either.

So, pick a path. 

And, yes, you kind of have to pick it now......because keeping Gibson is picking that path (somewhat....as his value will be less in the off season).

So, great, I agree, if you are going to compete, then trade for some players now or in the off season.

But, pick a path.

This. A path. There is an old Cajun joke about a guy who gets stuck in a tree at night with a bobcat. He wants his buddy to shoot, but his buddy can't tell what he would hit in the dark. The guy in the tree says at this point I don't care, just shoot. :). That's the Twins today, do something. I don't care if it's wrong, just do something. I want it to be right, but not doing anything guarantees nothing good can happen. We are stuck in the middle. I am sick of the Bobby Wilsons, LaMares, Motters, and all the other waiver wire pickups. We may need t shirts! PICK A PATH.
  • Mike Sixel likes this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#148 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,430 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 07:40 PM

I'm not sure what 'shopping him hard' really means because no other clubs are going to change their interest in Gibson due to lobbying from Falvey and Levine. The other clubs either want Gibson or they don't, and they are either willing to offer significant value or they aren't. 

If someone wants Gibson enough to make a tempting offer, the Twins are going to get the message. Undoubtedly they've been hearing from other clubs for a while now. He's pitching at a different level than most of the other options out there . . . but even rich teams are very reluctant to give up solid prospects.

Between the deals for Soria, Oh, and Happ, not a single prospect changed hands that would be top 30 in the Twins system, per Fangraph's rankings. Gibson is considerably more valuable than any of those three, of course, but top 30 is a pretty low bar.

Well, from those old leaks from Houston, I think you have to do more than field calls.Teams also need to call to start talks as a seller.I think making a deadline deal needs to work from both directions and not just about waiting for it to land in your lap.

#149 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 07:24 AM

Normally, I don't pay much attention to --- or at least give much importance to it --- a pitcher's won-loss record, but I was shocked to notice that this was only win number 5 for Kyle Gibson this year. As good as he's pitched, that's pretty darn surprising.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kyle gibson, fernando rodney, mitch garver