Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Twins stuff from around the Web (Fangraphs, Twitter, Athletic, non-local news sites, etc)

machado #itcouldhappen
  • Please log in to reply
940 replies to this topic

#921 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• 12,619 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 19 August 2019 - 11:00 AM

They would need a domed stadium in Portland with all the rain. What would their team name be? The IPAs? The hipsters?

The IPAs have a nice ring to it...

Portland Organics?

Portland Farm to Tables?

• bighat likes this

#922 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,279 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 11:35 AM

They would need a domed stadium in Portland with all the rain. What would their team name be? The IPAs? The hipsters?

It rains much less here in the summer than almost any other stadium in the US. But they have a plan for a retractable openish roof thing...

https://ballparkdige...rings-unveiled/

There is also a second site in consideration, that is more convenient for mass transit, but not on the river.

Edited by Carole Keller, 19 August 2019 - 12:01 PM.

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#923 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,361 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 11:47 AM

The Rays are truly an amazing organization. They deserve better than Tampa.

Tampa isn’t the problem. The problem is that their stadium isn’t in Tampa.

#924 SpicyGarvSauce

SpicyGarvSauce

Ft Myers Miracle

• 367 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 11:52 AM

Miami just built a stadium. They're not moving.

They should have made that stadium so you could move it when the Marlins move.

• USAFChief likes this

#925 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,631 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 12:30 PM

Tampa isn’t the problem. The problem is that their stadium isn’t in Tampa.

The Rays are also last in TV revenue.

Tampa is the problem.

#926 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,361 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 12:43 PM

Between 2008 and 2013 the Rays were a good team. Not surprisingly, that matches up with Longorria’s prime years and years that the team spent to keep a good team together. Before that and since, they were a second division team every year.

As for their TV revenue, metro Tampa isn’t much smaller than the Twin Cities. So, lack of TV (and other) revenue sounds like an organization that is unable to market their product. That’s a TEAM problem, not a city problem. The Rays have been badly managed from a BUSINESS standpoint from day one. Putting them in that stadium in that location, for example.

#927 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,631 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 02:12 PM

Between 2008 and 2013 the Rays were a good team. Not surprisingly, that matches up with Longorria’s prime years and years that the team spent to keep a good team together. Before that and since, they were a second division team every year.

As for their TV revenue, metro Tampa isn’t much smaller than the Twin Cities. So, lack of TV (and other) revenue sounds like an organization that is unable to market their product. That’s a TEAM problem, not a city problem. The Rays have been badly managed from a BUSINESS standpoint from day one. Putting them in that stadium in that location, for example.

Different cities have different demographics. For example, the Twin Cities have abysmal cable subscription rates, which will *always* hurt the Twins under the current television contract model. That's not the fault of the team, that's just how things play out in the metro.

I suspect Tampa has similar issues, only exaggerated because of the transient nature of many Florida residents.

It's pretty hard to pin that on the team. Miami has a new urban stadium and they're *averaging* 10k fans a game in a much larger metro than the Twin Cities. Despite a half-decade of futility, the Twins never dropped below 20k.

We shouldn't write off the fact that the Florida teams rank 29th and 30th in attendance because of the location of Tampa's stadium (which is awful, I agree, but it doesn't have to be a binary problem; lots of things are in play here, many of them outside the teams' scope of influence).

• Dantes929 likes this

#928 SwainZag

SwainZag

• 2,425 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 19 August 2019 - 02:15 PM

Tampa is the problem.

Their stadium is a in a really bad location.

• bighat likes this

#929 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• 12,619 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 19 August 2019 - 02:16 PM

Tampa is the problem.

Florida is the problem. They have teams in all 4 major sports and I don't think a Florida resident cares about any of them... Other than the brief period of time when LeBron was a member of the Miami Heat.
  • Brock Beauchamp, bighat and Battle ur tail off like this

#930 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,278 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 19 August 2019 - 05:01 PM

Florida is the problem. They have teams in all 4 major sports and I don't think a Florida resident cares about any of them..

They draw well when the visiting team matches with where a large contingent of the residents originally came from. They should be bold and rename themselves the Tampa Bay Generals, and promise fans a comfortable win for the visiting Boston Globetrotters, or New York Globetrotters, or wherever that team happens to play home games.

• Vanimal46 likes this

It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. -- Arthur Conan Doyle

#931 howeda7

howeda7

• 1,630 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 05:10 PM

Different cities have different demographics. For example, the Twin Cities have abysmal cable subscription rates, which will *always* hurt the Twins under the current television contract model. That's not the fault of the team, that's just how things play out in the metro.

I suspect Tampa has similar issues, only exaggerated because of the transient nature of many Florida residents.

It's pretty hard to pin that on the team. Miami has a new urban stadium and they're *averaging* 10k fans a game in a much larger metro than the Twin Cities. Despite a half-decade of futility, the Twins never dropped below 20k.

We shouldn't write off the fact that the Florida teams rank 29th and 30th in attendance because of the location of Tampa's stadium (which is awful, I agree, but it doesn't have to be a binary problem; lots of things are in play here, many of them outside the teams' scope of influence).

Despite the low cable/satellite penetration, the Twins have always done well in TV ratings when they're good. That said, it wasn't smart of them to remove having an over-the-air partner. The old Sunday games on channel 29 did nearly Vikings-like #'s when the Twins were good. That was mostly Fox's decision though, since they owned both Channel 9/29 and FSN. Perhaps with the sale of FSN to Sinclair they will bring back over the air games.

Tama is just a bad baseball market. More Yankees fans there than Rays fans. The only Florida pro team that has a significant long-term following is the Dolphins.

Edited by howeda7, 19 August 2019 - 05:11 PM.

#932 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 2,819 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 19 August 2019 - 05:13 PM

Florida is the problem. They have teams in all 4 major sports and I don't think a Florida resident cares about any of them... Other than the brief period of time when LeBron was a member of the Miami Heat.

Even then only tourists and snowbirds were the ones attending Heat games to get street cred on their Instagram feeds.

Florida loves college sports. College football is king, and sure maybe they'll watch some Dolphins or Bucs games once in a while. Baseball isn't a natural fit. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it's there, especially for the transplants who can go and watch their teams play on the road.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#933 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 24,172 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 09:28 PM

Back on topic, please. This thread is about Twins news from national sources, not about other teams' stadiums and revenue. While interesting, perhaps someone wants to start a thread in the other baseball forum about this, let's keep this thread to its purpose ... as Twins news amalgamation thread.

Thanks. 

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#934 Mike Frasier Law

Mike Frasier Law

• 175 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 09:18 AM

Fangraphs did an article on the best bullpens in baseball, looking at it through multiple lenses. I was surprised to see how well the Twins ranked in every way.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#935 amjgt

amjgt

• 2,580 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 10:08 AM

Keith Law did an article about September Prospect call ups worth watching

Graterol had a blurb and Law wrote something about his delivery being high effort

What?!? That's like one of the easiest 100mph deliveries I've ever seen. Right?

I mean, I'm not crazy, right?

• ashbury, ScrapTheNickname and Sconnie like this

#936 Jham

Jham

• 2,147 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 10:44 AM

Keith Law did an article about September Prospect call ups worth watching

Graterol had a blurb and Law wrote something about his delivery being high effort.

What?!? That's like one of the easiest 100mph deliveries I've ever seen. Right?

I mean, I'm not crazy, right?

I side more with you than law probably. But watching last night, I think I can see what he means. Perhaps it was the situation and instruction to go let loose (he looked like he was overthrowing). but specifically, I'd say we shouldn't confuse a compact delivery with a low effort delivery.

#937 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,279 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 11:50 AM

More Twins questions and answers than you can shake a stick at:

http://meadowparty.c...lawchat-9-5-19/

• Sconnie likes this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#938 amjgt

amjgt

• 2,580 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 08:26 AM

More Twins questions and answers than you can shake a stick at:

http://meadowparty.c...lawchat-9-5-19/

A lot of the same usual questions.

The Kepler one was the only surprise.

I was hoping someone would ask him about Bailey Ober. Something like....

"Hey Keith, you were in early on Jordan Balazovic, what about another Twins prospect this year. Bailey Ober has been putting up crazy numbers when healthy and certainly has the build to be a front line pitcher. Any thoughts on him"

#939 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 24,172 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 08:27 AM

A lot of the same usual questions.

The Kepler one was the only surprise.

I was hoping someone would ask him about Bailey Ober. Something like....

"Hey Keith, you were in early on Jordan Balazovic, what about another Twins prospect this year. Bailey Ober has been putting up crazy numbers when healthy and certainly has the build to be a front line pitcher. Any thoughts on him"

You should get in on the next chat and ask that!

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#940 amjgt

amjgt

• 2,580 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 08:36 AM

You should get in on the next chat and ask that!

His chats aren't the easiest to find. I literally searched "Keith Law Chat" yesterday morning and came up empty. Anyone please feel free to borrow my question next time he has a chat.