Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Twins stuff from around the Web (Fangraphs, Twitter, Athletic, non-local news sites, etc)

machado #itcouldhappen
  • Please log in to reply
884 replies to this topic

#821 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,212 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 June 2019 - 12:38 PM

https://blogs.fangra...merican-league/

Zips projected standings halfway through the year... They have the Twins finishing with 98 wins this season.
  • Mike Frasier Law, nicksaviking and jkcarew like this

#822 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 12:47 PM

Ben
1:07 Is this the Max Kepler you were expecting?

Keith Law
1:07 Yes but I was a year early, again.

http://meadowparty.c...awchat-6-21-19/

Don't have any data to back it up...but it's at least my impression that Max has been incredibly streaky in his professional career. I'm not talking about stuff that shows up in 1st/2nd half, or even monthly, splits. But over 20- 30 PA...where he can be so hot or so cold that his numbers swing pretty dramatically, even when the denominators are big. But I agree it seems there's a breakout here, where both the peaks and troughs are going to be materially better/higher. Fun.

• LA VIkes Fan likes this

#823 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,727 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 01:53 PM

Sam: Have you heard anything on Royce Lewis? Numbers don’t look so great…thanks for the chat!

Keith Law: I’ve mentioned his swing & setup changes already … way too many moving parts. Not sure who taught him that but I imagine the Twins aren’t pleased.

Dustin: Is there any reason to temper Twins fan’s excitement for Alex Kiriloff? Do you see him getting called up in September?

Keith Law: No reason. Don’t think they add him to the 40-man just yet.

Edited by Mike Sixel, 21 June 2019 - 01:57 PM.

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. Oh, and I have at least one blog post now......The table on my first blog post is now fixed. Sigh.

#824 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 5,532 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 02:00 PM

Some data about Kepler:

April 12-21: 12 for 31, 5 2b, 3b, HR, 3 BB, 6 K

May 3-12: 2 for 23, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 7 K

May 13-27: 17 for 48, 6 2b, 3 HR, 5 BB, 7 K

July 1-9: 14 for 30, 5 2b, 3b, HR, 7 RBI, 5 BB, 3 K

July 29-Aug 10: 6 for 37, 2b, 3 HR, 0 BB, 5 K

Sep 21-28: 8 for 22, 3 2b, HR

May 11-30: 12 for 62, 5 2b, 3b, 2 HR, 8 BB, 12 K

June 10-27: 5 for 46, 2 2b, HR, 4 BB, 9 K

July 5-11: 10 for 25, 2b, 3b, 2 HR, 4 BB, 2 K

Sep 5-12: 8 for 21, 3 2b, 4 BB, 4 K

April 2-10: 12 for 36, 2b, 3 HR, 3 BB, 7 K

May 2-13: 7 for 46, 2b, HR, 4 BB, 7 K

May 17-27: 17 for 36, 7 2b, 3 HR, 4 BB, 4 K

May 30-Jun 5: 0 for 21, 2 BB, 7 K

So, yeah. I’d call that streaky. Moreso than others? Maybe. I have no reference to make that assesment.

#825 dbminn

dbminn

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 715 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN

Posted 21 June 2019 - 02:16 PM

Some data about Kepler:

So, yeah. I’d call that streaky. Moreso than others? Maybe. I have no reference to make that assesment.

Here's a link to the Twins hitters and their stats by month. Look at OPS and you'll see that all of the hitters have good and bad runs. You can separate the data by week if you like, at the top-right of the page. 

Added: Okay, I sorted the weekly data. Seems Kepler has had 4 of the 15 best weeks on the team by OPS. Nobody else has more than 2. On the low side, Kep has 1 of the 15 worst weeks (and the 16th). Buxton, Rosario, Cave and Gonzalez have each had 2 rotten weeks. 

Maybe we notice Kepler's streaks because he's had so many good ones?

Also, everybody is streaky compared to Polanco. 

Edited by dbminn, 21 June 2019 - 02:27 PM.

• birdwatcher, Mike Frasier Law and Dman like this

#826 David A

David A

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 07:49 PM

Nice article on Berrios. He's characterized as a top 10-15 pitcher in the game. And, it's argued that he can be a cy young contender if he can just bury the curve against righties.

https://blogs.fangra...r-jose-berrios/

• Carole Keller, Mike Sixel, Mike Frasier Law and 2 others like this

#827 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,727 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 10:45 AM

PD
12:24 Is a team slugging percentage of .501 good?

12:25 heh, it (the Twins' current SLG) would break the record held by the 2003 Red Sox (.491). Yet another silly number from a silly season, offensively.

• Mike Frasier Law and nicksaviking like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. Oh, and I have at least one blog post now......The table on my first blog post is now fixed. Sigh.

#828 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,727 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 11:53 AM

IsIt2020Yet?
1:12 What other teams besides the Dodgers figure to try and make a back of the bullpen move? Twins, Rays, missing anyone?
1:12 Every. Single. Contender. Needs. Bullpen. Help. Because. You. Can. Never. Have. Too. Much. Pitching.

Ryan
1:29 The Twins haven't lost 3 games in a row yet this season. Since 1900, only the 1902 Pirates managed to avoid a 3 game losing streak all season. What do you think the chances are the Twins manage to go the entire season without a three game losing streak?
1:31 Wow, that's cool, but I highly doubt they get through the season with no 3-game losing streak. They're plenty good but it also takes a lot of luck to avoid such a thing, and when you consider that they've only given four starts to pitchers out of their front five, you can imagine, say, a DL stint weakening the rotation and making such a streak possible in a given week.

Homers
1:51 Do the (almost) healthy Yankees catch the Twins in homers by EOS?
1:51 I think so and said as much in today's piece.

https://blogs.fangra...s-chat-6-27-19/

Edited by Mike Sixel, 27 June 2019 - 11:55 AM.

#829 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 5,532 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 12:59 PM

IsIt2020Yet?
1:12 What other teams besides the Dodgers figure to try and make a back of the bullpen move? Twins, Rays, missing anyone?
1:12 Every. Single. Contender. Needs. Bullpen. Help. Because. You. Can. Never. Have. Too. Much. Pitching.

Ryan
1:29 The Twins haven't lost 3 games in a row yet this season. Since 1900, only the 1902 Pirates managed to avoid a 3 game losing streak all season. What do you think the chances are the Twins manage to go the entire season without a three game losing streak?
1:31 Wow, that's cool, but I highly doubt they get through the season with no 3-game losing streak. They're plenty good but it also takes a lot of luck to avoid such a thing, and when you consider that they've only given four starts to pitchers out of their front five, you can imagine, say, a DL stint weakening the rotation and making such a streak possible in a given week.

Homers

There appears to be something wrong his keyboard. The “.” Symbol seems to be malfunctioning.
  • nicksaviking likes this

#830 SpicyGarvSauce

SpicyGarvSauce

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 01:50 PM

IsIt2020Yet?

Ryan

Homers

Jaffe is such a Yankees homer.

• gunnarthor likes this

#831 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,727 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 11:55 AM

I already posted this in the minor league area, but many of you don't go there.....

mike sixel
1:47 Royce Lewis.....is his fall mostly that your fears of him at SS are confirmed? A year of not hitting in A+? Clearly his change to his hitting is not going well. Did he do that on his own? Thanks,

Keith Law
1:48 Much more about not hitting/visible changes to his mechanics. I have never bought into the claims that he'll stay at short: He's not good there, and he could be very good in CF, maybe a 70 or better defender there. Most organizations would probably have moved him but the Twins have an 80 defender in center in the majors, so that may be one reason why they haven't.

http://meadowparty.c...awchat-7-11-19/

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#832 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 24,208 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 12 July 2019 - 03:23 PM

http://www.startribu...reak/512639012/

LENIII's take as the second half starts.

The takes themselves aren't that interesting, if you ask me, but count the number of typos, poorly worded sentences, and flat out sloppy writing. 

This is the Star Tribune. Do they no longer employ editors? 

I find it disturbing to see the decline of the print news industry. 

• birdwatcher, Mike Sixel, nicksaviking and 2 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#833 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 03:40 PM

The takes themselves aren't that interesting, if you ask me, but count the number of typos, poorly worded sentences, and flat out sloppy writing. 

Pretty sure they do, but far fewer. I doubt a blog post goes through an editor. And honestly with modern spell check and a writer with 20 years experience, there shouldn't be many typos.

• Mike Sixel and nicksaviking like this

#834 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,727 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 03:57 PM

Cheese: Brent Rooker putting up huge numbers. What keeps him back from MLB stardom?
1:00
Eric A Longenhagen: nodef value and mediocre breaking ball recog

Kris: How much reliever-risk is there with Jhoan Duran?
1:14
Eric A Longenhagen: i don’t think there’s a ton

https://blogs.fangra...n-chat-7-12-19/

There is also a Royce Lewis question...

• Dman likes this

#835 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 22,535 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 13 July 2019 - 07:22 AM

What is reliever-risk? The risk that a starter turns out to have a ceiling as a reliever? Or a risk that he won't be able to adapt to the relief role if called on?

It is amazing how many eggs one can break without making a decent omelet.

#836 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,727 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 08:54 AM

What is reliever-risk? The risk that a starter turns out to have a ceiling as a reliever? Or a risk that he won't be able to adapt to the relief role if called on?

Reliever risk is that because of command and or control issues, or stature, or pitch mix, that it is likely they won't actually be a starter.
  • ashbury, nicksaviking, PseudoSABR and 1 other like this

#837 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 11:48 AM

Reliever risk is that because of command and or control issues, or stature, or pitch mix, that it is likely they won't actually be a starter.

Well stated. And in the case of a 21-year-old that stands 6-5 like Duran, I would agree with Longenhagen. No obvious reason to doubt that he could have the strength and leverage to maintain velocity through many innings. Of course, we’ll need to wait and see how many of his offerings will have major-league quality/command.
  • Danchat likes this

#838 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 03:04 PM

These places just aren’t where you can get quality info anymore. Neal has gotten so far off the rails in terms of being impartial that you can’t take anything he writes/says at face value (even if it were well written, apparently).

I wonder if it has anything to do with Dozier calling him out in the clubhouse a few years back for saying the Twins wouldn’t be contenders (or something along those lines). But, he seems to be more concerned with keeping certain sources within the Twins (maybe elsewhere) appeased than reporting reality often times.

Barreiro actually had a good quote on him on KFAN within the last couple of days. Neal has apparently been flaunting how wise the Twins were for not signing Kimbrel because he’s had some early struggles (in a microscopic sample size, mind you). To paraphrase, if the Twins had signed Kimbrel and he had the same struggles, Neal would be ripping any critics because of SSS, no spring training, etc. I was glad someone else is finally noticing (even though it may have been toungue in cheek, it’s spot on).

Then, when he takes a stand on some of these stances developed solely out of self preservation, he gets extremely dismissive and condescending towards any average joe that disagrees (often with the right take), like he is the gate keeper of baseball knowledge and will chooseth onto whom he will bestow enlightenment (he and Doogie are both elite in this department, and not much else).

Edited by Darius, 13 July 2019 - 03:11 PM.

#839 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,727 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 04:23 PM

Jhoan Duran, RHP, Twins (45 FV to 50 fV):
Duran’s velo is up, with the right-hander sitting 95-99 now. The secondaries are good, as is the frame. He’s athletic, and strike throwing has improved but is still just okay. He could continue to rise if that aspect turns a corner, which is possible given Duran’s grace and body control.

Interestingly, they did not move Lewis down like everyone else is.......

https://blogs.fangra...pects-rankings/

#840 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 21,785 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 05:09 PM

Jhoan Duran, RHP, Twins (45 FV to 50 fV):
Duran’s velo is up, with the right-hander sitting 95-99 now. The secondaries are good, as is the frame. He’s athletic, and strike throwing has improved but is still just okay. He could continue to rise if that aspect turns a corner, which is possible given Duran’s grace and body control.

Interestingly, they did not move Lewis down like everyone else is.......

https://blogs.fangra...pects-rankings/

Hadn't checked on Duran's season in awhile and noticed this oddity:

3.44 ERA, 1.17 WHIP.... 1-8 record. His teammates must hate him or something.