Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Twins stuff from around the Web (Fangraphs, Twitter, Athletic, non-local news sites, etc)

machado #itcouldhappen
  • Please log in to reply
825 replies to this topic

#801 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 5,216 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 02:00 PM

Loons
2:43 Who would you say has been the most valuable piece of the Twins season thus far?

Meg Rowley
2:44 the general answer is probably an annoying getting much more from everyone than they expected, but if I had to pick one person, I guess I'd go with Odorizzi being this good because I was very skeptical he would be
Pretty rad to see Buxton and Polanco having these years so far though

https://blogs.fangra...s-chat-6-11-19/

While it is certainly true that Odorizzi is far outproducing expectations, I have a hard time calling a starting pitcher who has pitched in less than 2/3 of 1/5 of the team’s games “most valuable”. If the season ended today, Polanco would most likely run away with the MVP. Only Trout has a higher WAR, but voters have been reluctant to give the MVP to a guy on a non-contending team for decades.
  • USAFChief likes this

#802 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 23,804 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 11 June 2019 - 02:02 PM

While it is certainly true that Odorizzi is far outproducing expectations, I have a hard time calling a starting pitcher who has pitched in less than 2/3 of 1/5 of the team’s games “most valuable”. If the season ended today, Polanco would most likely run away with the MVP. Only Trout has a higher WAR, but voters have been reluctant to give the MVP to a guy on a non-contending team for decades.

I would also argue for Polanco. I'm having a hard time understanding the argument for Odo.

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#803 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,517 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 02:30 PM

I would also argue for Polanco. I'm having a hard time understanding the argument for Odo.

I just posts 'em, I don't write 'em......but I'll say that w/o Odo leading (give or take) MLB in ERA, and replacing him with Stewart, they'd have less wins and a much more taxed bullpen. But, ya, Polanco for me also....

• Dman and jkcarew like this

It's IL now, btw, not DL.....

#804 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Pitch-to-contact poster

• Twins News Team
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 12:28 PM

https://www.espn.com...hitting-history

#805 BrianTrottier

BrianTrottier

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 01:19 PM

Eddie Rosario: "In the past, our manager would really focus on practice and, if we didn't work out in a particular way, he believed things would not go well. Every manager has a different personal style, and Rocco really cares about our rest and our bodies."

Sano: "We work very hard, but we do it relaxed. There isn't that pressure we felt in the past. We are being treated and trusted as major leaguers, as the professionals we are."

Those are some pretty damning quotes about Molitor.

• gunnarthor, Oldgoat_MN, PseudoSABR and 2 others like this

#806 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 01:36 PM

Eddie Rosario: "In the past, our manager would really focus on practice and, if we didn't work out in a particular way, he believed things would not go well. Every manager has a different personal style, and Rocco really cares about our rest and our bodies."

Sano: "We work very hard, but we do it relaxed. There isn't that pressure we felt in the past. We are being treated and trusted as major leaguers, as the professionals we are."

Having heard Rosario and Sano several times in interview scenarios, we can assume this text is heavily edited via translations to English. Also, as much as I love Sano....and I do love Sano...I don't know that it's in anyone's best interest to take too much of a 'relaxed' approach to his work.

Having said that, if Rocco can/is relating to these guys better overall, that wouldn't be too surprising. But cause and effect can get confused pretty easily under extreme circumstances (like a .680 win percentage).

• Han Joelo, Dman and BrianTrottier like this

#807 BattleYourTailOff

BattleYourTailOff

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 01:43 PM

I’m just glad the “old ways” of doing things seem to be in the rear view for the Twins. Talent aside we see how well ol Gardy & Rick & the boys have done with their brand of baseball in Detroit. By the time these kids make it the show they are usually all pretty mature. They don’t need to be treated like children or army recruits or guys with every name ending in “ysie”

#808 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,702 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 01:46 PM

I’m just glad the “old ways” of doing things seem to be in the rear view for the Twins. Talent aside we see how well ol Gardy & Rick & the boys have done with their brand of baseball in Detroit. By the time these kids make it the show they are usually all pretty mature. They don’t need to be treated like children or army recruits or guys with every name ending in “ysie”

Are you arguing that the Tigers are underachieving? There's no talent there at all. They are actually 4 games better than their pyth w/l record. Not sure you can blame that mess on Gardy et al. Frankly, I was sorta impressed on how tough the Tigers played us as opposed to how the Sox and Baltimore merely rolled over.

As to Rocco over Molitor, it's not even close. I thought Molitor was a bad fit for this team and the FO seems to have figured that out.

• Carole Keller, birdwatcher, diehardtwinsfan and 5 others like this

#809 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 01:47 PM

I just posts 'em, I don't write 'em......but I'll say that w/o Odo leading (give or take) MLB in ERA, and replacing him with Stewart, they'd have less wins and a much more taxed bullpen. But, ya, Polanco for me also....

I'll buy that Odo is exceeding his expected level of performance by a greater margin than Polanco is exceeding his. But I'm with everyone on most valuable so far...Polanco. The encouraging thing is that I could see multiple candidates that seem capable of emerging as '2nd-half' MVP if Polanco were to falter some. Fun! *knocks wood for player health*

#810 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,517 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 01:50 PM

12:35
Sir Mookleton McBetts III: Thoughts on Luis Arraez? His hit tool is Fire Emoji but no power eh?

12:35
Kiley McDaniel: He’s going to be a big mover, I’m sure he’s a Cistulli and KATOH favorite RIP

12:44
mr: Any similarities between Buxton and CJ Abrams? Buxton was a SS coming out of HS IIRC

12:46
Kiley McDaniel: Buxton was CF only at least late in HS. Both 80 runner that project for 55-60 raw, likely both in CF, Buxton is bigger and better built, both have feel for contact but Abrams probably a little better, and also LH with a shot to play SS. Buxton may be a superior baseball athlete in terms of comparable tools to Abrams but Buxton’s frame and actions in every facet are about as good as anyone has seen

https://blogs.fangra...l-chat-6-12-19/

Edited by Mike Sixel, 12 June 2019 - 01:51 PM.

• gunnarthor and Dman like this

#811 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 01:54 PM

Great article.  My favorite quote:

"This is an environment where you are free to be yourself," noted Cruz, ever the voice of experience. "No matter who you are, most weeks you will have a day off. If you feel like you need practice, then you practice, if you feel like you need a workout, you work out. It's been a very smart approach on Rocco's part, and it's something I had not seen with any other team."

• Carole Keller and PseudoSABR like this

#812 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,702 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 02:04 PM

Great article.  My favorite quote:

And while we're giving kudos to the manager, it's probably good to note that the players are doing the work. I really like this team, it's fun to watch.

Edited by gunnarthor, 12 June 2019 - 02:04 PM.

• Carole Keller, diehardtwinsfan, nicksaviking and 1 other like this

#813 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

I only stalk idiots.

• Twins Mods
  • 22,705 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 03:09 PM

And while we're giving kudos to the manager, it's probably good to note that the players are doing the work. I really like this team, it's fun to watch.

There's something to be said for creating an environment where the workers (players in this case) are trusted; the work is a lot easier both in actually wanting to spend the time working, but the work itself is more focused because you aren't expending energy worrying about 'doing it right' for someone else.

• USAFChief, birdwatcher, Thrylos and 7 others like this

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#814 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,517 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 04:38 PM

Llewelyn: Are the twins real? Everything seems to make sense, they have a ridiculous offense and their run differential seems to be in line with their record, but I can’t help but feel like some of their hot starters will come back down to Earth. Are these simultaneous breakouts reflective of a new culture? Or is it just entirely luck that they all seemed to happen at the same time?

2:27
Craig Edwards: They are real in that they are very likely to make the playoffs. They do have a ton of players whose performances will come down some but they are in a bad division. Going .500 gets them to 90+ wins and playing like a .500 team with their schedule should net them even more. While people harp on the bullpen, I think starting pitching depth is their biggest need right now.

2:42
Stroman: When am I traded? Do I bring back more or less than Madison? And where?

2:43
Craig Edwards: I think it will be a comparable deal when compared to Bumgarner though I would guess Toronto gets someone closer to the majors or in the majors with San Francisco willing to take on someone not ready to contribute right away. I’m terrible at guessing destination, but Braves, Yankees, Cardinals, and Twins seem like the best fits.

Lots of questions in every chat right now about what a player can return in a trade. You may be interested in those....

https://blogs.fangra...chat-6-13-2019/

Edited by Mike Sixel, 13 June 2019 - 04:47 PM.

#815 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 4,082 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 06:10 PM

If you're into pitching mechanics, this might be fun for you: 

Most of it went over my head, in a hamstring-and-glute-dominant way, but Kyle Gibson talks about some of the drills he's done to make himself a better pitcher over the last couple years, and it's probably interesting to some of you.

• Mike Sixel, gunnarthor and SpicyGarvSauce like this

#816 Mike Frasier Law

Mike Frasier Law

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 03:00 PM

https://fivethirtyei...-real-surprise/

• Mike Sixel, Craig Arko and Dman like this

#817 Don Walcott

Don Walcott

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,507 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe, NM

Posted 20 June 2019 - 10:41 AM

https://www.wsj.com/...eup-11560859558

• Mike Sixel likes this

#818 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,517 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 12:24 PM

An article on Odo's fastball:

https://blogs.fangra...stball-of-2019/

• Mike Frasier Law likes this

#819 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,517 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 03:05 PM

• ashbury, Mike Frasier Law, nicksaviking and 2 others like this

#820 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,517 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 11:15 AM

Ben
1:07 Is this the Max Kepler you were expecting?

Keith Law
1:07 Yes but I was a year early, again.

http://meadowparty.c...awchat-6-21-19/

Edited by Mike Sixel, 21 June 2019 - 11:15 AM.

• dbminn likes this