Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Twins stuff from around the Web (Fangraphs, Twitter, Athletic, non-local news sites, etc)

machado #itcouldhappen
  • Please log in to reply
950 replies to this topic

#61 Dman

Dman

• 1,730 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 12:31 PM

The QO is last resort option though, right?If kept they would want to work out a contract.If they couldn't get a contract worked and did the QO then that would be a bit of dick move wouldn't it?The Twins wouldn't have offered Esco what he felt he was worth on the market so lose him if he rejects the QO.

#62 amjgt

amjgt

• 2,627 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 12:35 PM

Zack Cozart is a pretty good Escobar comp and he got 3/38 last offseason.

Albeit without draft pick compensation tied to him.

#63 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• 1,752 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 12:43 PM

True on Cozart but he has been a bust for the Angels.Started hot, then fell of a cliff, and now is hurt. Similar guy in that he had a great year last year after being a decent but not great performer before that. Plus, Cozart is a superior defender and Escobar is not. The comp with Cozart might actually hurt Escobar since the feeling out here is that the Angels overpaid. 

I would predict 3/27-30 for Esco.  

• Dman likes this

#64 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,169 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 12:49 PM

Zack Cozart is a pretty good Escobar comp and he got 3/38 last offseason.

Albeit without draft pick compensation tied to him.

That's a HUGELY BIGLY difference.....

• Monkeypaws and dbminn like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#65 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,169 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 03:01 PM

Rene
4:10 Think any team looks at Lance Lynn's track record and makes a move based on past success? He can't be this bad. Maybe a change of scenery guy?

Jeffrey Todd
4:10 This bad? Probably not. I mean, everyone predicted regression, but saw him as a back of the rotation dude. Can imagine him being moved, but the baseline isn't a mid-3 ERA.

https://www.jotcast....-chat-3629.html

• Dman likes this

#66 amjgt

amjgt

• 2,627 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 04:21 PM

That's a HUGELY BIGLY difference.....

I wonder how much a 2nd round pick would go for.... like if the Marlins could auction off their Comp A pick, what would the top bid be?

#67 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,169 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 04:27 PM

I wonder how much a 2nd round pick would go for.... like if the Marlins could auction off their Comp A pick, what would the top bid be?

there are more recent studies....

https://www.fangraph...of-draft-picks/

Also, that's not exactly the "cost" of acquiring Escobar, in terms of value lost, since draft picks cannot be bought and sold, they are actually probably worth more.....

think of it this way, the Twins and others have paid over 3, sometimes 5 million for the baseball rights to a 16 yo.....

#68 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,169 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 12:42 PM

hmmmm...

mike sixel
2:41 Twins punted the season/Twins barely traded anyone/It doesn't matter, there is almost no chance it matters.....which one is the most true (in terms of baseball, not existence)?

Dan Szymborski
2:41 I don't think they screwed up - patience made sense.They've had a lot go wrong in the offense.

https://www.fangraph...s-chat-7-30-18/

#69 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,169 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 12:43 PM

Brian Dozier: Is there a middle infield market left?
July 30: Do any contending teams still need an infielder? We're about to find out, with Dozier still on the market as Sunday night turns to Monday.

https://www.mlb.com/...8?tid=282421090

#70 rujellis

rujellis

Elizabethton Twins

• 27 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 12:53 PM

I tend to agree w/ Szymborski. 

But I am holding out judgement on the trade deadline until we see to what degree they are being 'patient'.If in fact, its true they were willing to extend Escobar but were not close on terms...to me it could signify they are serious about giving it another run next year rather than stockpiling for 2-3 years down the road.And in which case, I am glad they got what they could from Escobar now.  

But then that should also mean that outside of very top prospects being available they wouldn't really entertain trading Gibson.So we will see...

• Mike Sixel, nicksaviking and Ben Noble like this

#71 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,169 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 10:45 AM

Tony Womack
9:41 How do you evaluate the Yankees deadline deals? Seems like a rare instance where Cashman may not have come out on top.

Jeff Sullivan
9:42 I don't really get the Lance Lynn thing. Admittedly, I haven't examined it for a closer look, and I don't think Tyler Austin is important, but Lynn is bad

https://www.fangraph...hs-chat-8-1-18/

• Dance with Disco Dan likes this

#72 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,169 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 11:34 AM

Dan
1:33 Kohl Stewart has put together some nice starts recently. Can he still become a viable starter?

Keith Law
1:33 He hasn't, though. Still throws strikes with no out pitch.

• Dance with Disco Dan and Dman like this

#73 Dman

Dman

• 1,730 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 11:44 AM

Tony Womack
9:41 How do you evaluate the Yankees deadline deals? Seems like a rare instance where Cashman may not have come out on top.

Jeff Sullivan
9:42 I don't really get the Lance Lynn thing. Admittedly, I haven't examined it for a closer look, and I don't think Tyler Austin is important, but Lynn is bad

https://www.fangraph...hs-chat-8-1-18/

Don't you think the Yankees picked up Lynn because of his success against the Red Sox same for Happ.They want to make sure they have favorable match-ups when they play their arch enemies. He also is an emergency arm for them and given how poorly Gray has pitched I don't think Lynn can do much worse.Also they didn't give the Twins much in return anyway.  

I actually thought there might have been a market for Lynn for clubs that had injured arms (i.e. Brewers) or needed more depth (i.e. Yanks, A's, National league teams)Mainly because he wouldn't cost much in prospects, But i guess most teams agree with Sullivan.Lynn is just bad.Hopefully the Twins catch a break there with prospects they received.

Edited by Dman, 01 August 2018 - 11:45 AM.

#74 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• 3,688 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 11:50 AM

The Twins got the worst run of Lance Lynn's professional history, partly because he was signed so late. Twins fans can't pretend to be experts on Lance Lynn based on the past few months.

The Yankees grabbed him because they are smart.

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#75 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,169 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 11:51 AM

I actually disagree on Lynn being "bad" right now........but I post ones I disagree with also!

• Twins33 and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#76 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 13,105 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 01 August 2018 - 12:00 PM

Dan
1:33 Kohl Stewart has put together some nice starts recently. Can he still become a viable starter?

Keith Law
1:33 He hasn't, though. Still throws strikes with no out pitch.

In general, can a pitcher develop an out pitch? Does a pitcher need a semblance of an out pitch and coaches will help develop the pitch more?
  • wyowib likes this

#77 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,169 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 12:02 PM

mike sixel
1:57 How good can Alex Kiriloff be, and when could we see him in MN? thanks,

Keith Law
1:57 That kid's a star. I think he's going to make more than a few All-Star teams if he stays healthy.

• gunnarthor, Monkeypaws, LA VIkes Fan and 4 others like this

#78 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,169 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 12:04 PM

Yuan
1:57 Just read your take on Tyler Austin being moved - do you think he still has a chance to redeem himself or is the inability to hit offspeed too much to overcome?

Keith Law
1:57 He hasn't shown any adjustments to the slider yet. If he does, great, he can be a regular. If not, well, he can join the multitudes who never did figure it out.

• Dance with Disco Dan and Dman like this

#79 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,169 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 12:29 PM

The Twins went into the season with legitimate (and not unfounded) beliefs about being able to contend. It hasn’t worked out that way, and you see the team cashing in some of those players who are unlikely to play key long-term roles with the team. Pretty by-the-book here.

https://www.fangraph...merican-league/

#80 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,169 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 03:57 PM

https://www.fangraph...tch-sequencing/

• wyowib likes this