Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Twins stuff from around the Web (Fangraphs, Twitter, Athletic, non-local news sites, etc)

machado #itcouldhappen
  • Please log in to reply
908 replies to this topic

#741 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,499 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 May 2019 - 12:43 PM

In my opinion, it is crystal clear that the Twins need to add at least 1 good arm to both their starting pitching and bullpen. Improvements from Odorizzi/Perez aside, when comparing the Twins staff to other contenders staff it's clear that the Twins is magnitudes behind others--both in top end talent and depth.

Now imagine when the Twins staff faces the inevitable 1-2-3+ injuries/key injuries they will face this season. Now imagine the Twins have to trot out Kohl Steweart, Pineda, and say Gonsalves for an extended period of time. Trouble.

That's why I want them to take advantage of the situation and go for it this season. There's no such thing as too much pitching. Make the big splash for a top end SP whether that's Stroman, Bumgarner, etc.

There's not a huge difference on the reliever trade market between the 3rd or 6th best option. They need quantity there to account for a long season.

Edited by Vanimal46, 13 May 2019 - 12:44 PM.

• Mike Frasier Law and psturnbloom like this

#742 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 12:50 PM

That's why I want them to take advantage of the situation and go for it this season. There's no such thing as too much pitching. Make the big splash for a top end SP whether that's Stroman, Bumgarner, etc.

There's not a huge difference on the reliever trade market between the 3rd or 6th best option. They need quantity there to account for a long season.

What are people's opinions about MadBum not including the Twins on his no trade list?Judging by articles claiming he simply made the list in order to gain leverage on teams he thought would be contenders, did he misunderstimate these Wins?Or did he correctly estimate them, and would actually not mind getting traded to Minnesota?

#743 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 5,996 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 12:53 PM

What are people's opinions about MadBum not including the Twins on his no trade list? Judging by articles claiming he simply made the list in order to gain leverage on teams he thought would be contenders, did he misunderstimate these Wins? Or did he correctly estimate them, and would actually not mind getting traded to Minnesota?

I would presume he had to submit his list of no trade teams prior to opening day.
  • USAFChief, PseudoSABR, nytwinsfan and 1 other like this

#744 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 14,622 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 01:29 PM

While I'd take another starter, and those two would be fine additions in my book, I'm not sure I'd consider them top end starting pitchers at this point in their career. I wouldn't be trusting a guy as streaky as Stroman or an NL-only guy like Bumgarner in game 1. Barring injury, they'd probably still be my #3-4 starter. Which, this team does need more of for depth.

I don't think there's going to be a Randy Johnson, Cliff Lee, CC Sabathia, Justin Verlander type available this year.

• PATwinsfan likes this

#745 raindog

raindog

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 02:19 PM

While I'd take another starter, and those two would be fine additions in my book, I'm not sure I'd consider them top end starting pitchers at this point in their career. I wouldn't be trusting a guy as streaky as Stroman or an NL-only guy like Bumgarner in game 1. Barring injury, they'd probably still be my #3-4 starter. Which, this team does need more of for depth.

I don't think there's going to be a Randy Johnson, Cliff Lee, CC Sabathia, Justin Verlander type available this year.

I think you're vastly underestimating Bumgarner. I'd love to add him. 

• jorgenswest, James, h2oface and 2 others like this

#746 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 30,005 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 04:10 PM

What are people's opinions about MadBum not including the Twins on his no trade list? Judging by articles claiming he simply made the list in order to gain leverage on teams he thought would be contenders, did he misunderstimate these Wins? Or did he correctly estimate them, and would actually not mind getting traded to Minnesota?

He could only submit 8.....

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#747 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 7,613 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 05:30 PM

My guess would be that he and his agent looked back and saw absolutely no historical precedent for the Twins making a deadline deal for a pitcher like Bumgarner.

I hope this regime bucks the trend if the price is right, but if I were them I'd probably never expect the Twins to make such a deal.

#748 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,499 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 May 2019 - 05:48 PM

Or... Crazy concept I know... MadBum doesn't think it would be the worst thing in the world to play in Minnesota. There are worse places out there for a North Carolina country boy who enjoys being outdoors.
  • Han Joelo, beckmt and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#749 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 24,620 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 13 May 2019 - 06:43 PM

Bumgarner almost certainly had to make his list prior to the season. I doubt he considered the Twins at all.

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#750 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 30,005 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 10:48 PM

On Smeltzer:

https://fantasy.fang...spects-ep-1-09/

It's a fantasy related part of the site!

#751 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 30,005 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 12:30 PM

taylor
2:11 i find the twins to be ... very fun. do you think this fun is sustainable ?
Meg Rowley
2:13 Maybe not quite to this level, but yes. I imagine they will need pitching help, though.

Voldemort
2:26 Is this the year Nelson Cruz's age finally catches up with him?
Meg Rowley
2:26 The wrist thing isn't great, but no signs so far.

https://blogs.fangra...s-chat-5-14-19/

Edited by Mike Sixel, 14 May 2019 - 12:31 PM.

#752 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 30,005 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 11:18 AM

Cartulo
12:16 Good morning Jay! (Still morning here in Peru). It's 05/16, how sold are you that the playoff spots in the AL are already set? To me it seems like the only ? is who's gonna win the East. Cleveland is toast.
12:19 I think that we're basically talking about six teams for five spots, with the Astros a sure bet, and the AL East more likely to produce both Wild Card teams, with the Central winner the division's only representative. And if I had to guess, it's Cleveland on the outside looking in due to their rotation injuries, ridiculously lax approach to the past winter, and the weird struggles of Jose Ramirez.

https://blogs.fangra...s-chat-5-16-19/

#753 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 30,005 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 11:23 AM

Mike G
1:13 Should we expect Jordan Balazovic to recieve helium during the midseason reranks?Numbers aside, his stuff looks very impressive.
Keith Law
1:14 He barely missed my top 100 this winter, so I think I had him in the right range then. He'll move up due to so many graduations ahead of him. He could move up more now that he's pitching at a higher level.

Ron
1:55 HI Keith- Buxton is healthy this year.Just sayin'! He looks so much more relaxed this year, even only if it is a SSS.His arm is as good as his speed and if he just hits .250-270, he is a star.There is some serious pop in that bat when he squares one.
Keith Law
1:55 I thought he was a star in 2017, then he was hurt most of last year, and now he's healthy and what do you know, he's a star again.

AJ
2:11 Balazovic!Great call on your part.Do you see him as an above average starter and is it crazy to think we could see him before the end of 2020?
Keith Law
2:11 Above average starter but not in the majors before 2021.

Edited by Mike Sixel, 16 May 2019 - 12:12 PM.

• Dman likes this

#754 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 30,005 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 01:09 PM

Bert
2:31 Jorge Polanco sure can hit a baseball. Is he going to add to the list of SS this year that can realistically finish with a 120 wRC+
Craig Edwards
2:32 He's basically already there. If he hits his projection of 111 the rest of the way, he's going to end up over 125.

• PseudoSABR and Dman like this

#755 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Pitch-to-contact poster

• Twins News Team
  • 5,521 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 03:53 PM

5 not so crazy summer trades

Marcus Stroman to the Twins

The Twins are one of the most pleasant surprises in the Majors, and their rise to the top of the American League Central standings is due in no small part to the superb pitching they’ve gotten from José Berríos, Jake Odorizzi and Martin Pérez in the rotation. But this club could still use another starting arm to fend off any potential second-half regression. Furthermore, given the pending free agencies of Odorizzi, Kyle Gibson and Michael Pineda, there’s incentive for executive vice president/chief baseball officer Derek Falvey and general manager Thad Levine to target options under control beyond 2019.

Stroman fits the bill on both fronts. He has had a resurgent 2019, with a 2.95 ERA going into Tuesday's start against the Red Sox, and he’s not eligible for free agency until after the '20 season.

The Blue Jays will likely listen to offers for Stroman and Aaron Sanchez as they try to build a young core around Vladimir Guerrero Jr., and the Twins have a deep enough farm system to get a deal done. Twins top prospects Royce Lewis and Alex Kirilloff would be awfully big asks in such a swap, but perhaps a deal fronted by right-hander Brusdar Graterol (No. 61 on MLB Pipeline’s Top 100 list) would make sense for both sides.

• Mike Sixel, Twins33 and Vanimal46 like this

#756 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Pitch-to-contact poster

• Twins News Team
  • 5,521 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 03:56 PM

It’s Time for Michael Pineda to Change His Approach

#757 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Pitch-to-contact poster

• Twins News Team
  • 5,521 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:00 PM

https://www.fangraph...gs/playoff-odds

Updated odds: 87.3% chance to make the playoffs; 72.5% chance to win the division; 6.3% chance to win the World Series.

• Mike Sixel and FlauerPauer like this

#758 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 30,005 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:04 PM

It’s Time for Michael Pineda to Change His Approach

Good stuff!

#759 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,826 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:18 PM

https://fantasy.fang...an-arenado-now/

• Mike Sixel likes this

#760 JLease

JLease

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 06:05 PM

Lot of sense here; at a certain point you can't write off Pineda's issues on recovery from injury. He feels like the weak link in the rotation.