Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Twins stuff from around the Web (Fangraphs, Twitter, Athletic, non-local news sites, etc)

machado #itcouldhappen
  • Please log in to reply
908 replies to this topic

#641 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 12:32 PM

but since I don't know what percentage of the total article was excerpted, it's hard to guess what's fair. Bottom line, let's do be careful with other people's property.

Looks to me like about 15%

#642 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 30,005 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 03:46 PM

12:18
E. Coli: Kyle Gibson talked during the game yesterday about building up stamina…. Do you think he will be similar to last year or will regress back to a 5 era guy?
12:18
Avatar Dan Szymborski: He did have a bump in K rate despite longer stints, I’m more optimistic than ZiPS

https://blogs.fangra...hs-chat-3-4-19/

• Dance with Disco Dan likes this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#643 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,449 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 07:58 PM

It is a good thing to remind ourselves of. I was guilty of asking for a synopsis of something else the other day, labeling myself a cheapskate as the rationale, which is pretty weak. Fair use is hard to define, and the comment "worth the price" might please the author, but since I don't know what percentage of the total article was excerpted, it's hard to guess what's fair. Bottom line, let's do be careful with other people's property.

I probably went too far, and I will try to be more in moderation going forward.

Pretty interesting look at what certainly seems like some new ideas and new approaches with the pitching staff. Wes Johnson had a good rep and a good track record coming in, and now we’re starting to see why.

Wonder if his talents as a coach will be even more evident with a major league budget / resources, instead of a college one.

#644 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 08:10 PM

I wouldn't say you went to far, but I'd say it was close. It was a pretty long article so 10-15% ended up being quite a bit of actual text. From Twins-centric paywall articles I think it's fair to do some copy and pasting to give potential readers a taste of the article. How do people know the content they are missing if they can't ever see any of the content? But, from MLB-centric articles that have a few Twins parts (like a Keith Law top 100 article), I shy away from any copy and pasting and tend to, in that example, just report the rankings. 

But, that's just me, and I'm not a moderator.

• ashbury and AlwaysinModeration like this

#645 alskntwnsfn

alskntwnsfn

• Members
  • 406 posts
  • LocationSavage

Posted 05 March 2019 - 10:20 PM

The new Rosenthal article in the Athletic about Twins pitching analytics is fascinating. Honestly it’s the most enlightening article I’ve ever read about the team’s approach to preparation, which has puzzled me for a long time.

Scripted bullpens with real time data feedback? Yes!
  • nicksaviking likes this

#646 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Pitch-to-contact poster

• Twins News Team
  • 5,521 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 10:27 PM

Seems like you copied an awful lot of paid content there....

That would be better said in a PM/to a mod, considering the intent seems to be to contribute and promote a subscription.

Edited by PseudoSABR, 05 March 2019 - 10:28 PM.

#647 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,449 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 04:07 AM

The new Rosenthal article in the Athletic about Twins pitching analytics is fascinating. Honestly it’s the most enlightening article I’ve ever read about the team’s approach to preparation, which has puzzled me for a long time.

Scripted bullpens with real time data feedback? Yes!

I’ve read the Rosenthal piece twice now. Agree with you it is fascinating. And just to continue to push the envelope here, let me provide a quote from the article about the Astro’s pitching coach, who at 70 is the oldest pitching coach in baseball, who worked with Wes Johnson and many other new-guardish pitching coaches, and is clearly a leader in innovative approaches to using analytics in working with pitchers:

“Strom was out of baseball in 2006 and ‘07 after the Nationals dumped him as their minor-league pitching coordinator, helping his wife run her dog-grooming business.”
  • alskntwnsfn likes this

#648 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,449 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 04:27 AM

Looks to me like about 15%

I was curious. I plugged it into a word counter app. I copied 365 words, out of a 1785 word article, so I copied 20.4%.

It was too much, in my opinion, so thanks to Sixel for calling me out. I knew when I was putting the excerpts together that I was pushing the line (I even specifically trimmed down sections). It’s worthwhile to flag me, and to have the discussion.

It’s all good. Dan Hayes is producing a lot of valuable content for the Athletic, with a lot of additional great content on the Twins, Vikings and much more as well. People should pay for a subscription. (And especially to read that Rosenthal piece; there is a lot of great detail on different pitching coaches and approaches around the league).

I was very impressed with Wes Johnson when I read about him when they hired him. Everything I’ve seen in the few weeks of him working with the Twins has made it easy to see why he has had such remarkable success with multiple college programs over an extended period of time:

He uses cutting edge technology to get a lot of relevant data, simplifies it, and communicates it to his players in a way they can use, getting their buy-in in the process.

From my vantage point, his signing is likely the most important move the Twins have made in the Falvey-Levine era.

Edited by AlwaysinModeration, 06 March 2019 - 04:29 AM.

• ashbury, nicksaviking, snepp and 2 others like this

#649 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 30,005 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 10:38 AM

There is a lot of good stuff in the athletic, if you like to read about sports. It's probably the best site for general sports reading right now.

I wasn't trying to be a jerk, I have struggled in the past with how much to copy here. And yes, a PM would have been better!
  • ashbury, nicksaviking and PseudoSABR like this

#650 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 30,005 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 11:49 AM

Admittedly, I was hoping for more specificity.....

mike
12:47 The Twins just traded for the right to spend more money in IFA..... Is it useful at this late date? How so? Thanks
Kiley McDaniel
12:47 Typically there's a player in mind, or a group, when a trade this late is made

https://blogs.fangra...el-chat-3-6-19/

• Dance with Disco Dan likes this

#651 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 23,501 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 06 March 2019 - 12:14 PM

That would be better said in a PM/to a mod, considering the intent seems to be to contribute and promote a subscription.

In a thread specifically about "Twins Stuff From Around The Web," it seemed pertinent and deserves to be reviewed once in a while. It's all shades of gray. Some folks may recall that the site's Comment Policy has a short independent section about this topic of fair use - I'm not sure it says anything better than how this side-discussion has gone, but the site owners (and thus we as moderators) do take the question seriously, since no one would like to see their own words used in some way contrary to their own wishes and benefit - copyright applies even if the text is not behind a paywall, and a link-plus-summary is better than verbatim text, often.

I hope I'm not contributing to any further thread-jack from the intended thread topic - PM to me or any others is indeed probably preferred at this point, for any followup.

• Mike Sixel and PseudoSABR like this

So, in conclusion, what was your question again?

#652 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 30,005 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 11:10 AM

Ron: Hi Keith-Thanks for all your work on prospects and all your baseball write-ups. You and Buster are the only reason I subscribe to Insider. Would it make sense for Minnesota to offer a 1 or 2 year deal to Keuchel if he would take it, or just let that horse leave the barn?
Keith Law: Yes, unless there’s something so drastic in his medicals that they’re uncomfortable even at two years.
Keith Law: The Twins are good. They’re certainly at a point where investing further in the 2019 team is likely to have a positive ROI.

Jarrod: Hello Mr. Law, is Ryan Pressly one of the more under rated RPs in the game?
Keith Law: Don’t know how to answer that. Underrated how/by whom? He’s good, a good example of how very progressive teams like Houston target players they think they can improve through R&D-based coaching, but they also gave up two decent prospects to get him.

http://meadowparty.c...lawchat-3-7-19/

Edited by Mike Sixel, 08 March 2019 - 11:10 AM.

• Dance with Disco Dan and Dman like this

#653 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 10,090 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 08 March 2019 - 03:30 PM

SportsLine simulation model:Polanco will have a breakout season.

• nytwinsfan and dbminn like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#654 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 30,005 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 12:21 PM

Paul
10:18 Playoffs?!?! Who you got??
Mark P
10:19 NYY, Cleveland, Houston as division winners.Red Sox, Twins as the wild cards.

NL is much harder to call, but I'll say Washington, St. Louis, LA win the divisions.Wild cards are Colorado and Milwaukee.But, ask me tomorrow and I'll have different answers

Falvine
10:25 Are the Twins the AL version of the braves essentially?
Mark P
10:26 It's not a bad comp.Except the Braves already got big production from their big outfield prospect (Acuna) and infield prospect (Albies), while the Twins are still waiting on Buxton to really blossom, and for Sano to become more consistent

Luhnow's Mentor
10:42 Do you think the increasing availability of super utility types are hurting interest and contract values for FA's like Marwin, for example? He didn't seem to draw a ton of interest this year, and the Astros got a decent replacement for next to nothing.
Mark P
10:44 This is a solid point.Teams seem to be trying to build their own super-utility types from within, rather than signing a guy like Marwin (at least at what Marwin's initial asking price was)

Andy Melius
10:57 The Twins made nice moves but could've done much more. You think they're waiting for the trade deadline to see where they stand?
Mark P
10:57 This

https://www.jotcast....ishuk-4807.html

Edited by Mike Sixel, 11 March 2019 - 12:24 PM.

• Dance with Disco Dan, nytwinsfan and dbminn like this

#655 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 30,005 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 03:09 PM

A different kind of look at the minors....note it is in the fantasy section...

https://fantasy.fang...innesota-twins/

Edited by Mike Sixel, 11 March 2019 - 03:09 PM.

• Thrylos and PseudoSABR like this

#656 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Pitch-to-contact poster

• Twins News Team
  • 5,521 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 10:22 PM

A different kind of look at the minors....note it is in the fantasy section...

https://fantasy.fang...innesota-twins/

Fantasy or not, a very well-written, a seemingly sourced and researched piece on more than a few of our favorite prospects.  

Edited by PseudoSABR, 11 March 2019 - 10:25 PM.

• birdwatcher likes this

#657 BrianTrottier

BrianTrottier

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:25 AM

Looks like Berrios declined an extension offer over the offseason:

https://www.mlbtrade...ffer-twins.html

#658 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 22,329 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:30 AM

Looks like Berrios declined an extension offer over the offseason:
https://www.mlbtrade...ffer-twins.html

Thanks, I was wondering about this. It didn’t make sense to pass over Berrios during the extension talks. Turns out, they didn’t.

#659 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 30,005 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 11:59 AM

Adam
1:56 Love the chats Keith, thanks for taking the time to do them.With Sano's latest injury, it's hard for this Twins fan to see any reason that he'll be successful consistently long term.Do you think he'll ever put it together?
Keith Law
1:56 For stretches, at least. Lot of hitting ability and raw power, with an idea at the plate.

http://meadowparty.c...awchat-3-15-19/

• Dance with Disco Dan and Dman like this

#660 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Pitch-to-contact poster

• Twins News Team
  • 5,521 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 04:22 PM

Making Max Kepler: Baseball in Germany