Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Twins stuff from around the Web (Fangraphs, Twitter, Athletic, non-local news sites, etc)

machado #itcouldhappen
  • Please log in to reply
602 replies to this topic

#541 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 07:28 PM

I think we all want Romero to ultimately be a starter. What I don't want is him to spend anymore time in Rochester. When he wasn't brought up in September, that made me certain he was probably short a pitch. He could be the key to our 2020 rotation. Did I mention he's another TR guy?

I don’t think anyone has ever questioned Terry Ryan’s ability to evaluate amateur talent. And the people saying that the Twins drafted poorly in the last 10 years or so of the Ryan era are also in the minority.

However, something clearly was amiss between the time that amateur talent signed and the time they made it to the MLB level. A large majority of them were overmatched and/or ill prepared despite no real evidence that players were “rushed”. Failed high level prospect after failed high level prospect. That suggests that the issue was player development. Terry Ryan’s loyalty to “his people” blinded him to the poor results. He was also blind to the changes taking place with regards to analytics - which is an integral tool in evaluation AND development. I’ll lay part of that blame on the doorstep of his most immediate boss, team president Dave St. Peter. He failed to recognize (or failed to care about) the lack of results coming from the system. He failed to hold Ryan and his staff accountable for far too long.
  • LA VIkes Fan likes this

#542 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 11,289 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 08 February 2019 - 11:57 AM

This is who we're putting the weight of the franchise on. Someone comparable to Mark Reynolds and Austin Jackson.
  • bighat likes this

#543 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 28,079 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 04:45 PM

MadKyleDisease: Are the Twins the biggest offenders of this slow offseason? A (relative) ton of money to spend. The favorites in their division doing nothing to get better and possible getting worse. And only reaching into the bargain bin instead of making a push.

10:16
Jeff Sullivan: I think to this point the Dodgers are considered the biggest offenders

10:16
Jeff Sullivan: But looking at the Twins, they’re projected for a $100-million payroll, down from last year’s $129 million

10:18
Jeff Sullivan: It’s possible, I suppose, guys like Keuchel and Kimbrel just don’t want to play there, or something. But it seems like the Twins should be involved on at least one of them, if not both
Have. Not of. Have a great day.

#544 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,544 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 12:50 AM

One national expert referred to our offseason as sneaky good, another as solid. I agree with both of them.

I've actually liked most of the moves the front office has made, except for one glaring omission...

They're literally $30m below what they spent last season and $40m below what they should be spending.

So, yes, go pick up those Crons at a bargain. Good for you. Never once have I complained about that type of deal.

But what chaps the hell out of me is that, AGAIN, they should have $30m MINIMUM to spend on other free agents.

I'm not looking for a Harper here, I'm just looking for a decent ****ing reliever.

• Carole Keller, diehardtwinsfan, Twins33 and 4 others like this

#545 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,544 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 12:54 AM

10:18
Jeff Sullivan: It’s possible, I suppose, guys like Keuchel and Kimbrel just don’t want to play there, or something. But it seems like the Twins should be involved on at least one of them, if not both

I'd honestly rather see the team offer Gibson $20m this year and then $10m for three more years than sign Keuchel.

• nicksaviking, LA VIkes Fan and dbminn like this

#546 rghrbek

rghrbek

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 593 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 01:39 AM

Stunned and shocked that there has not been more talk about the marlins trading their superstar catcher, who we have all coveted.  Hows was their hall compared to what we could have done?

#547 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 07:46 AM

Stunned and shocked that there has not been more talk about the marlins trading their superstar catcher, who we have all coveted.  Hows was their hall compared to what we could have done?

Kirilloff may have been an upgrade over Lezcano but if they wanted pitching the Twins can’t win that deal.

The Twins don’t have a comp for a promising 25 year old catcher in Alfaro. Garver isn’t close given his age and projection track.

The only way to win the deal is the third piece. Add Graterol to Garver and Kirilloff, throw in some international money and maybe Realmuto is a Twin. I think the Marlins still take the Phillies offer though. The return stopped me from talking. That is too much for two years at catcher.
  • birdwatcher, Twins33, nicksaviking and 4 others like this

#548 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 28,079 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 09:22 AM

Stunned and shocked that there has not been more talk about the marlins trading their superstar catcher, who we have all coveted. Hows was their hall compared to what we could have done?

There's a whole thread on it....or two if you look at other transactions in the MOB forum
  • ashburyjohn and rghrbek like this

#549 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,819 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 11:10 AM

This is who we're putting the weight of the franchise on. Someone comparable to Mark Reynolds and Austin Jackson.

You'd have to assign value to that nonsense to be saddened by it.

• Thrylos, gunnarthor, Rigby and 1 other like this

#550 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,472 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:41 AM

I'm not looking for a Harper here, I'm just looking for a decent ****ing reliever.

I'm looking for a Machado. No reason whatsoever for us to accept that ownership can't be on him. 

• Mike Sixel, Twins33, TheLeviathan and 3 others like this

#551 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 11,289 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 February 2019 - 01:03 PM

Fivethirtyeight and OOTP Baseball teamed up to simulate how teams would do with Harper and/or Machado signs with their teams.

They had to force Machado on the Twins, because LOL, and they make the World Series in 2021! But he opted out ASAP to sign a massive deal with the SF Giants...

https://fivethirtyei...ifferent-teams/
  • Twins33, PseudoSABR, Sconnie and 2 others like this

#552 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,557 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 01:15 PM

Fivethirtyeight and OOTP Baseball teamed up to simulate how teams would do with Harper and/or Machado signs with their teams.

They had to force Machado on the Twins, because LOL, and they make the World Series in 2021! But he opted out ASAP to sign a massive deal with the SF Giants...

https://fivethirtyei...ifferent-teams/

Cool exercise.Love both organizations/companies. 

#553 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,544 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 02:22 PM

I'm looking for a Machado. No reason whatsoever for us to accept that ownership can't be on him.

Accept? Sure. But personally, I’m not in love with the idea of risking that amount of money on a single player.

But it’s not as if I’d complain if they signed Manny.
  • birdwatcher and PseudoSABR like this

#554 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 28,079 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 04:25 PM

Accept? Sure. But personally, I’m not in love with the idea of risking that amount of money on a single player.

As opposed to signing four bad players? Because that's what they'd do instead.....
  • cmoss84 and Battle ur tail off like this

#555 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,472 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 05:56 PM

Realistically, he'd be paid about the same percentage that the team gave Mauer. He's younger and a safer bet than Mauer (who I always thought was a safe bet). It's insane that no one is pressuring ownership or the FO to sign these guys. They finally have the money and roster flexibility to do so and they'll just sit on it and ask the fans to eat it. Gad, I hate the Pohlads.

• Carole Keller, Mike Sixel, Twins33 and 2 others like this

#556 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,819 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 08:19 PM

Realistically, he'd be paid about the same percentage that the team gave Mauer. He's younger and a safer bet than Mauer (who I always thought was a safe bet). It's insane that no one is pressuring ownership or the FO to sign these guys. They finally have the money and roster flexibility to do so and they'll just sit on it and ask the fans to eat it. Gad, I hate the Pohlads.

I completely understand your stance regarding the logic of going after Machado. Once again, I think you're probably right.

Respectfully, I'd ask you to consider two things. First, let's agree that someone with access should ask some piercing questions of Falvey. Force him to explain why your logic sucks big wankers.

Second, I very much respect you, gunnarthor, and almost always like (agree) with your excellent takes on things. Go ahead and hate Jim Pohlad, his brothers, his children, and his ex-wife if you want, but could you please be a little more careful about it? Disagree, sure. I'm just going to say that if you truly knew all those people, you'd see some good in them. It's just friggin' baseball. ;)

• gunnarthor and nytwinsfan like this

#557 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 20,496 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 10 February 2019 - 09:19 PM

A reminder (and I may be as guilty as any of forgetting), but this thread is not for extended discussion of this tangent or that. It's an aggregator for "Twins stuff from around the web".

• gunnarthor likes this

Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.-- Oscar Wilde

#558 JustinCB

JustinCB

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 09:46 PM

You'd have to assign value to that nonsense to be saddened by it.

Why is it "nonsense," exactly?
  • Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#559 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,544 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:49 AM

As opposed to signing four bad players? Because that's what they'd do instead.....

Strawman, paging strawman. Your table is ready.
  • birdwatcher, snepp, PseudoSABR and 3 others like this

#560 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:12 PM

Strawman, paging strawman. Your table is ready.

Supporting the strawman...

The Twins committed to 14 years and 168 million to Santana, Hughes and Nolasco to get three good seasons in return.

Maybe it would be better to go big on one player instead.
  • Mike Sixel, Twins33 and Sconnie like this