Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Twins stuff from around the Web (Fangraphs, Twitter, Athletic, non-local news sites, etc)

machado #itcouldhappen
  • Please log in to reply
884 replies to this topic

#421 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 04:52 AM

Are you sure he didn’t do cartwheels in this? :)

Quick, Tom, we need a side-by-side comparison of Astudillo’s home run “trot” and that college gymnast who broke the internet with her routine the other day.

#422 dougd

dougd

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:55 AM

‘Go time’: New pitchers’ camps are latest piece of Twins’ player development plan. New article by Dan Hayes at The Athletic. The first ten pitchers have reported to Fort Myers for some individual instruction, with ten more next week, and ten more in two weeks. Enlow is reporting two weeks early, likes the new plan (instead of the month long instructional league in September/October).

• birdwatcher, PseudoSABR, nytwinsfan and 2 others like this

#423 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 10,075 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 16 January 2019 - 11:22 AM

‘Go time’: New pitchers’ camps are latest piece of Twins’ player development plan. New article by Dan Hayes at The Athletic. The first ten pitchers have reported to Fort Myers for some individual instruction, with ten more next week, and ten more in two weeks. Enlow is reporting two weeks early, likes the new plan (instead of the month long instructional league in September/October).

Here is the link for that (pay wall.)

• nytwinsfan likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#424 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Pitch-to-contact poster

• Twins News Team
  • 5,452 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 04:10 PM

Schoenfield of ESPN would like to see Buxton traded to the Rockies for Gray.

• Sconnie likes this

#425 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 06:13 PM

I am in if they also sign Harper for RF moving Kepler to CF.
  • Carole Keller, Twins33, PseudoSABR and 2 others like this

#426 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,727 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 07:36 PM

I'd do that, if they then sign a legit OF star
  • Carole Keller and Twins33 like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. Oh, and I have at least one blog post now......The table on my first blog post is now fixed. Sigh.

#427 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 4,075 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 07:43 PM

Buxton produced a 5 WAR season when he was clueless at the plate half the time. If I'm GM, I'm giving my coaches a chance to use all the ammo we've brought in, to see if they can get this guy out of his own head, free from injury and emotionally and mentally ready to have a clue more than half the time. The upside of that is not something I'm handing off to another organization. Yet. They get 2019 to git 'er done.

Edited by birdwatcher, 16 January 2019 - 07:45 PM.

• gunnarthor, diehardtwinsfan, PseudoSABR and 3 others like this

#428 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,727 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:03 PM

Buxton produced a 5 WAR season when he was clueless at the plate half the time. If I'm GM, I'm giving my coaches a chance to use all the ammo we've brought in, to see if they can get this guy out of his own head, free from injury and emotionally and mentally ready to have a clue more than half the time. The upside of that is not something I'm handing off to another organization. Yet. They get 2019 to git 'er done.

Fair. Where do you find pitching? They lose three of their starters after this year, since no one is singed past this year.
  • Sconnie likes this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. Oh, and I have at least one blog post now......The table on my first blog post is now fixed. Sigh.

#429 nytwinsfan

nytwinsfan

• Members
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:09 PM

Fair. Where do you find pitching? They lose three of their starters after this year, since no one is singed past this year.

I think next offseason they trade Rosario or Kepler for a good pitcher (assuming Kirillof is ready), sign another high-end 1-2 starter, sign a second 3-4 starter, and go with one of Thorpe/Mejia/Stewart/Romero at the back end (or best case scenario, if two of those four young pitchers blossom into decent pitchers, they don't need to sign the second 3-4 starter).They will easily have the money to sign a 1-2 and a 3-4 starter next year if necessary, especially with all these 1-year contracts. Also, Gibson could get a qualifying offer and potentially take it. Not likely, but not implausible either.

Edited by nytwinsfan, 16 January 2019 - 08:09 PM.

• birdwatcher and Dman like this

#430 Major League Ready

Major League Ready

• Members
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:14 PM

1) Resign either Gibson or Odorizzi

2) One of the AAA SPs has to step up. No team, much less a mid market team) can be successful today if you don't develop any starting pitching.

3) This is why you don't spend every available dollar this year. They can afford to resign one of the current SPs plus another free agent or trade for one next year if we are forced but you don't sell at the bottom on a player like Buxton. The path to success is not discarding your highest ceiling player.

4) You could always convert May.

• birdwatcher likes this

#431 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:20 PM

My offseason blueprint.

Sign Harper. Trade Buxton for Gray.

I think their over under goes from 84 to 89. They add a starting pitcher 3 years and they desperately need the last two of those. They will have Harper under team control longer than they will have Buxton.

The payroll takes a big hit but they are going to pay dearly for starting pitching after this year. We saw how well that went with the 14 years and 170 million committed to Santana, Nolasco and Hughes for a return f 3 good years. Gray will be in arbitration but the costs and risks will be much less.

Harper and Gray will still be around as Kirilloff and Lewis are expected to arrive. This pair of moves elevates them to contender status now and when the next wave arrives.

They will never be in a better position to take on a contract like Harper’s.
  • Oldgoat_MN, Sconnie and desertfogz like this

#432 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 4,075 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 06:53 AM

Re-signing Gibson, Pineda, or Odorizzi, if they want, would be a place to start, and I'd bet on one of those. Second, I'd bet at least ONE of all those B pitching prospects makes the grade during 2019 and shows considerable promise. Maybe two of them: Romero, Mejia, excluded, we're discussing Gonsalves, Stewart, Thorpe, De Jong, Littell, four of whom have MLB experience already, meaning they aren't impossible candidates. And now you have Graterol, Alcala, and Wells knocking at the door too. Third, they can sign a FA. They'll still be flush. Fourth, they will have an even more robust and ripe minor league pipeline, with more surplus from which to trade.

One thing for sure: I'm not thinking, hey, maybe I'll trade off Buxton in what could be a criminal act because maybe Gibson, Pineda, and Odorizzi all don't work out.

Easy peasy.

Edited by birdwatcher, 17 January 2019 - 07:35 AM.

• diehardtwinsfan and DocBauer like this

#433 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 13,912 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 17 January 2019 - 07:44 AM

Re-signing Gibson, Pineda, or Odorizzi, if they want, would be a place to start, and I'd bet on one of those. Second, I'd bet at least ONE of all those B pitching prospects makes the grade during 2019 and shows considerable promise. Maybe two of them: Romero, Mejia, excluded, we're discussing Gonsalves, Stewart, Thorpe, De Jong, Littell, four of whom have MLB experience already, meaning they aren't impossible candidates. And now you have Graterol, Alcala, and Wells knocking at the door too. Third, they can sign a FA. They'll still be flush. Fourth, they will have an even more robust and ripe minor league pipeline, with more surplus from which to trade.

One thing for sure: I'm not thinking, hey, maybe I'll trade off Buxton in what could be a criminal act because maybe Gibson, Pineda, and Odorizzi all don't work out.

Easy peasy.

They could potentially offer QOs to any (or all) of Pineda, Gibson, or Odorizzi, and I have to think that at least one takes it, especially given how the FA market has played out the last two seasons. 

• birdwatcher and nicksaviking like this

#434 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 16,930 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 08:16 AM

They could potentially offer QOs to any (or all) of Pineda, Gibson, or Odorizzi, and I have to think that at least one takes it, especially given how the FA market has played out the last two seasons.

You want to pay Pineda and Odorizzi at QO rate? Eeek.
  • Thrylos, Twins33, Sconnie and 2 others like this

#435 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,752 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 08:24 AM

I don't want to trade low on Buxton but Gray is a nice target. I'd probably see if Kepler would fit their team and move him, knowing that Kiriloff will be ready soon and assume Cave and Wade can hold down the corner until then.

• birdwatcher and DocBauer like this

#436 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 10,075 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 17 January 2019 - 08:28 AM

I don't want to trade low on Buxton 

That's one of the major problems with that proposed trade. 

• diehardtwinsfan, Twins33 and beckmt like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#437 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 13,912 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 17 January 2019 - 09:13 AM

You want to pay Pineda and Odorizzi at QO rate? Eeek.

That would depend on how they performed this year... I'm just noting that it's possible. 

#438 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,727 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 10:27 AM

1) Resign either Gibson or Odorizzi
2) One of the AAA SPs has to step up. No team, much less a mid market team) can be successful today if you don't develop any starting pitching.
3) This is why you don't spend every available dollar this year. They can afford to resign one of the current SPs plus another free agent or trade for one next year if we are forced but you don't sell at the bottom on a player like Buxton. The path to success is not discarding your highest ceiling player.
4) You could always convert May.

Based on their behavior, there is no evidence they will sign free agent pitchers that are likely to be all that good. Those kinds of players don't want one year deals.
  • Doomtints likes this

#439 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 4,075 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 10:50 AM

Based on their behavior, there is no evidence they will sign free agent pitchers that are likely to be all that good. Those kinds of players don't want one year deals.

Mike, my friend, you insist on steering every discussion back to this fixation you have with convincing us that the FO is rigidly opposed to multi-year contracts for some treacherously misguided reason. Their behavior probably refutes your claim rather than supports it, BTW.

Will you at least concede that maybe we haven't seen a bunch of your coveted multi-year contracts because AT THIS TIME the FO thinks it's smarter to do the things they've done and limit longer offers to situations that require it, like, say, the Darvish bid and the Cruz contract?

Name one contract you think they signed that is bad because it's a one year deal. Because off the top of my head I can name a half dozen that make complete sense.

You asked how they can possibly replace three pitchers with expired contracts for 2020. Several people gave you FIVE very achievable ways to do it.

Your issue is a non-issue. 

Edited by birdwatcher, 17 January 2019 - 10:51 AM.

• PseudoSABR, Major League Ready and howieramone2 like this

#440 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,727 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 11:12 AM

Mike, my friend, you insist on steering every discussion back to this fixation you have with convincing us that the FO is rigidly opposed to multi-year contracts for some treacherously misguided reason. Their behavior probably refutes your claim rather than supports it, BTW.

Will you at least concede that maybe we haven't seen a bunch of your coveted multi-year contracts because AT THIS TIME the FO thinks it's smarter to do the things they've done and limit longer offers to situations that require it, like, say, the Darvish bid and the Cruz contract?

Name one contract you think they signed that is bad because it's a one year deal. Because off the top of my head I can name a half dozen that make complete sense.

You asked how they can possibly replace three pitchers with expired contracts for 2020. Several people gave you FIVE very achievable ways to do it.

Your issue is a non-issue.

It's the contracts they aren't signing that are, imo, bad. Those ways all rely on them doing things they have not done in three years. Signing extensions, signing free agents, trading prospects. I'm all for those happening, but none have. I've even asked for all three of those to happen. So, great, let's hope they eventually do.