Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Twins stuff from around the Web (Fangraphs, Twitter, Athletic, non-local news sites, etc)

machado #itcouldhappen
  • Please log in to reply
420 replies to this topic

#401 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 12,777 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 09 January 2019 - 07:44 PM

Didn't know where to put this, probably deserves its own thread.

Hey, the guy doesn't hit many... especially like that.Let him enjoy it.

• Riverbrian, Monkeypaws and nytwinsfan like this

#402 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,993 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 08:31 PM

Heh, I'm generally okay with celebrations but even I think that one was a bit over the top.

Tone it down a bit, tiger.

I hope he does it against both Michael and Carson Fulmer next year. But then also blows them a kiss as he stomps on first.
  • Riverbrian and TheLeviathan like this

#403 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,767 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 09:47 PM

Heh, I'm generally okay with celebrations but even I think that one was a bit over the top.

Tone it down a bit, tiger.

FunPolice2.jpg

• Brock Beauchamp, ashburyjohn, Riverbrian and 2 others like this

#404 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 22,220 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:09 AM

I'd let him do cartwheels. 

IMO... Baseball needs this type of atmosphere to help reach new audience. 

If this becomes anything close to acceptable in MLB, they'll lose this part of their audience.

• SF Twins Fan likes this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#405 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 20,067 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:26 AM

If this becomes anything close to acceptable in MLB, they'll lose this part of their audience.

With each passing year. Our demographic will and should matter less and less.

With each passing year there will be less and less of our demographic and the replacement numbers are currently not there.

In other words... they won’t be here when we are no longer here so change is necessary.

However... I admit that there is a strong possibility that Baseball will carry on unchanged like global warming. I won’t be around when the ice caps melt so I’m cool. 😎
  • 70charger likes this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#406 dbminn

dbminn

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 575 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN

Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:22 AM

Eno Sarris of the Athletic - and formerly Fangraphs - has written an article on the five best over/under win bets at Caesar's Palace. One is the Twins. He picked the over on 84 wins because the Twins have six position players 26 and under who project to be above-average this season:

"In Jorge Polanco, Byron Buxton, Max Kepler, Miguel Sanó, Eddie Rosario, and Jonathan Schoop, the Twins have a ton of upside. ...with the possible exception of Rosario, you’re looking at a lot of talent that hasn’t likely peaked yet."

He also noted that the Twins have money to spend if they're in it at the deadline.

The Athletic is a pay site but well worth it. 

• Han Joelo, birdwatcher, Mike Sixel and 5 others like this

#407 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,421 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:42 AM

He also noted that the Twins have money to spend if they're in it at the deadline.

True, but Pohlads ....

• dbminn likes this

#408 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,467 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 12:25 PM

2019's most interesting player already hit home run of the year

More Astudillo love, via Schoenfield of ESPN.

Edited by PseudoSABR, 10 January 2019 - 12:25 PM.

#409 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,767 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 01:13 PM

I don't know how to put it delicately, but the majority of that segment are going to be lost in the near future anyway.  

• Intramural Legend likes this

#410 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 22,220 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 10 January 2019 - 01:16 PM

I don't know how to put it delicately, but the majority of that segment are going to be lost in the near future anyway.  

You're absolutely right.

You don't know how to put it delicately. 

• ashburyjohn, birdwatcher, gunnarthor and 10 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#411 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,421 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 03:21 PM

This argument has gone on for decades. As a kid, I hated baseball. Just hated it. Now I hate basketball and hockey and can only tolerate football. The reality is as people grow older they get new interests and lose others. Baseball has survived and will continue to survive as fans and the game both adapt.

• PseudoSABR likes this

#412 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,750 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 04:48 PM

Brick: Reports are Miguel Sano is down 30 lbs – if not more – and absolutely destroyed a pitch in the DWL a few nights ago. Is he one of the bigger bounce-back candidates in baseball this season?
1:12
Jay Jaffe: Bigger in size, sure. And yeah, in terms of track record, too. If he stays healthy…

Dan: Do you think its fair for Joe Mauer to be considered a catcher for the HOF? Less than half of his games are at the position and his numbers at 1b or DH are much less impressive. To me hes not a hall of famer.
1:26
Jay Jaffe: Should Ernie Banks have been considered a first baseman because he played out the string there? Bro, do you even lift?
Most of Mauer’s value — all of his top 7 seasons that go into his peak score within my JAWS system, plus his MVP award, his batting titles, his Gold Gloves, his All-Star appearances — came while he was catching. Everything that made his career special, in other words.

Edited by Mike Sixel, 10 January 2019 - 04:50 PM.

• Brock Beauchamp, gunnarthor, James and 5 others like this
Have. Not of. Have a great day.

#413 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,750 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 05:11 PM

Ron: Astudillo have a roster spot this spring? Maybe should have one for being able to help out at a couple positions? Is the bat real? Thanks!
Keith Law: He can do enough with the bat that he should be on the roster. I don’t think he’s a regular, if that’s what you’re asking.
  • dbminn and Vanimal46 like this

#414 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,767 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 06:04 PM

This argument has gone on for decades. As a kid, I hated baseball. Just hated it. Now I hate basketball and hockey and can only tolerate football. The reality is as people grow older they get new interests and lose others. Baseball has survived and will continue to survive as fans and the game both adapt.

"Surviving" is a low bar to clear. But this has been hashed before.

Those makes me love Austidillo even more.

#415 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,421 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 07:07 PM

Brick: Reports are Miguel Sano is down 30 lbs – if not more – and absolutely destroyed a pitch in the DWL a few nights ago. Is he one of the bigger bounce-back candidates in baseball this season?
1:12
Jay Jaffe: Bigger in size, sure. And yeah, in terms of track record, too. If he stays healthy…

Dan: Do you think its fair for Joe Mauer to be considered a catcher for the HOF? Less than half of his games are at the position and his numbers at 1b or DH are much less impressive. To me hes not a hall of famer.
1:26
Jay Jaffe: Should Ernie Banks have been considered a first baseman because he played out the string there? Bro, do you even lift?
Most of Mauer’s value — all of his top 7 seasons that go into his peak score within my JAWS system, plus his MVP award, his batting titles, his Gold Gloves, his All-Star appearances — came while he was catching. Everything that made his career special, in other words.

Jay did a nice job summarizing what we should care about and remember for Joe. I really wish he had remained behind the plate like Pudge did but he's still a HOFer.

• James likes this

#416 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,750 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:48 PM

10:22
Mr. Fister: Other than Kiner-Falefa, who are some other guys who have under the radar catcher eligibility that could play regularly?

Jeff Sullivan: WILLIANS

Jeff Sullivan: ASTUDILLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

10:55
Nick Mar – Cake is Good: Jeff has a Williams Astudillo fetish

Jeff Sullivan: It’s not a fetish because I wouldn’t describe it as abnormal

Jeff Sullivan: For anyone who has observed Astudillo, it is very normal

Edited by Mike Sixel, 11 January 2019 - 07:50 PM.

• Carole Keller, ashburyjohn, James and 4 others like this

#417 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,977 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 13 January 2019 - 04:24 PM

I'd let him do cartwheels.

IMO... Baseball needs this type of atmosphere to help reach new audience.

id love to see La Tortuga with the Ozzie Smith backflips down the first base line on a homer
  • Riverbrian and Dantes929 like this

#418 JustinCB

JustinCB

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:41 PM

Derek Falvey
3:34 Am I the mystery team for Machado?
Steve Adams
3:36 That'd be Twins chief baseball officer Derek Falvey, and as I've said continually, they should be. Zero dollars on the books beyond '19. AL Central is weak. Move Sano to 1B, push Cron to the Tyler Austin bench bat role / safety net at 1B/DH. It's an easy fit. Plus, do they really want a division rival to sign him for way less than most expected him to command at the outset of free agency?

• Carole Keller, diehardtwinsfan, Twins33 and 6 others like this

#419 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,687 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:55 PM

Derek Falvey
Steve Adams
3:36 That'd be Twins chief baseball officer Derek Falvey, and as I've said continually, they should be. Zero dollars on the books beyond '19. AL Central is weak. Move Sano to 1B, push Cron to the Tyler Austin bench bat role / safety net at 1B/DH. It's an easy fit. Plus, do they really want a division rival to sign him for way less than most expected him to command at the outset of free agency?

I like this 100 times. :) (of course I do ... y'all know that.)

• birdwatcher likes this

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#420 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 20,147 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted Yesterday, 04:06 PM

Derek Falvey

I like this 100 times. :) (of course I do ... y'all know that.)

I was just about to post, "Carole, is that you?"

• Sconnie likes this

It is not real work unless you would rather be doing something else.