Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Twins stuff from around the Web (Fangraphs, Twitter, Athletic, non-local news sites, etc)

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#21 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,303 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 12:16 PM

Mike Petriello throwing out a tweet on moves the Brewers could make, including Dozier + Lynn.

Duffy and Merrifield have three and four years of control left, I think KC would be doing themselves a disservice moving them both in the same package at the trade deadline. Both contending clubs and clubs who think they'll contend soon would have interest in those kinds of players, but you'd probably only get bids from contenders mid-season.

• Dance with Disco Dan likes this

#22 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,783 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 12:18 PM

Not really. If you have a terrible farm system, you probably want lots of numbers. Not having lots of negative WAR players on your roster is a huge boost to really bad teams.....

We disagree. It is so hard to get elite players. You those high ceiling prospects every time over guys like Gonsalves and Gordon.

#23 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 12,297 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 24 July 2018 - 12:21 PM

We disagree. It is so hard to get elite players. You those high ceiling prospects every time over guys like Gonsalves and Gordon.

I'm not sure either of these guys are low ceiling. Perhaps a bit lower than when they were drafted, but both could still be well above average major leaguers.

I do think you're right that we should be attempting to acquire elite prospects, but guys like Gonsalves/Gordon aren't bad gets.

• SF Twins Fan likes this

#24 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,481 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 02:04 PM

Swishdelish
3:39 Whats a name no one is talking about the yankees might grab as a starter?Also are they really considering Floria for Britton?

Steve Adams
3:40 I don't know why no one is talking much about Kyle Gibson as a trade candidate. Reasonable salary, velocity is up, K's and swinging strikes are up, grounders are still solid. Controlled through 2019. Not necessarily just for the Yankees -- he'd certainly help them -- but he should be on more radars I think. Might write about that tonight. Maybe the Twins have no interest in moving him, but they have a lot of upper-level pitching prospects and plenty of money to spend this winter... they can afford to move him

Falvey plan
4:09 Does Molly survive this year in Minnesota?

Steve Adams
4:09 Not his fault that Buxton, Sano and Ervin have been total non-factors in 2018, and he was just extended last year. He'll stick around.

https://www.jotcast....24-18-3618.html

Edited by Mike Sixel, 24 July 2018 - 02:11 PM.

• James, Dance with Disco Dan and Dman like this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#25 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,481 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 02:24 PM

Proposal No. 4 (via @lou_sigillo)
Yankees get: Right-hander Lance Lynn
Twins get: Right-hander Sonny Gray

This is an interesting thought for both teams to consider and one that could make sense if the Yankees think Lynn gives them a better chance than Gray to win a World Series title this season. Gray is under control through 2019, making him more attractive to the Twins than Lynn, who is set to become a free agent in a few months. Both pitchers' numbers seem similar at first glance, but Lynn has looked much better over his past 10 starts (4.30 ERA).

Who says no? The Yankees. While Lynn has pitched better of late, the difference between him and Gray isn't significant enough for New York to give up Gray's remaining year of control. The Yanks can always trade Gray in the offseason if things don't turn around, and they should be able to find a team that thinks Gray can rebound if he gets away from Yankee Stadium, where he has posted a lifetime 6.55 ERA in 15 starts.

https://www.mlb.com/...als/c-286451634

• jorgenswest likes this

#26 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 04:03 PM

I'm not sure either of these guys are low ceiling. Perhaps a bit lower than when they were drafted, but both could still be well above average major leaguers.

I do think you're right that we should be attempting to acquire elite prospects, but guys like Gonsalves/Gordon aren't bad gets.

Gonsalves was what... a fifth rounder? I’d say that draft pick was tremendous so far.

His upside is just fine. There are plenty of instances of guys that “lacked upside” that turned in cy young candidates (not that that’s what I’m predicting here)

Edited by amjgt, 24 July 2018 - 04:04 PM.

• Mike Frasier Law and Monkeypaws like this

#27 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,740 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 04:34 PM

Proposal No. 4 (via @lou_sigillo)
Yankees get: Right-hander Lance Lynn
Twins get: Right-hander Sonny Gray

This is an interesting thought for both teams to consider and one that could make sense if the Yankees think Lynn gives them a better chance than Gray to win a World Series title this season. Gray is under control through 2019, making him more attractive to the Twins than Lynn, who is set to become a free agent in a few months. Both pitchers' numbers seem similar at first glance, but Lynn has looked much better over his past 10 starts (4.30 ERA).

Who says no? The Yankees. While Lynn has pitched better of late, the difference between him and Gray isn't significant enough for New York to give up Gray's remaining year of control. The Yanks can always trade Gray in the offseason if things don't turn around, and they should be able to find a team that thinks Gray can rebound if he gets away from Yankee Stadium, where he has posted a lifetime 6.55 ERA in 15 starts.

https://www.mlb.com/...als/c-286451634

What about Gibson for Gray and a high end spec?That would intrigue me a lot.

#28 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,481 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 04:36 PM

What about Gibson for Gray and a high end spec?That would intrigue me a lot.

I would certainly consider that......

#29 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,740 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 04:53 PM

I would certainly consider that......

One can dream.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#30 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,481 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 10:40 AM

The Athletic has an article ranking the best SP available (Gibson is not listed) at the trade deadline:

Lynn is number 14. Requires subscription.

A short bit of it:

A trade of underperforming starters has been mentioned, including a floated proposal for Sonny Gray of the Yankees.

https://theathletic....g-trade-market/

#31 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,481 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 11:39 AM

Carl Pastashio
1:14 Can we start dreaming that Alex Kirilloff will pull a Juan Soto?

Kiley McDaniel
1:14 Wouldn't plan on a Juan Soto happening again any time soon

https://www.fangraph...l-chat-7-25-18/

#32 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,481 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 11:48 AM

Brent Rooker, LF/1B, Minnesota Twins (Profile)
Level: Double-A Age: 23 Org Rank: 10 FV: 45
Line: 4-for-5, 2B, HR, BB

Notes
I’ve been clear about my distaste for righty-righty college first-base types because, other than Paul Goldschhmidt, Rhys Hoskins, and Erik Karros, those types of players haven’t yielded big-league value this century. Should Rooker’s .270/.335/.517 line at Double-A this year quell concerns about him as an individual? He’s striking out at a nearly 30% clip as a 23-year-old, and my scout sources regard his breaking-ball recognition as problematic. His performance is encouraging but not so dominant that I’m all in on him as a prospect. Outcomes for prospects like Rooker are binary: they either hit enough to play every day or they don’t and they’re fringe 40-man guys.

https://www.fangraph...-notes-7-25-18/

• Dance with Disco Dan and jkcarew like this

#33 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• Members
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 01:01 PM

In an article about what sellers' strategies should be:

"One top prospect" candidates
Teams: Mets, Pirates, Reds, Twins

The Pirates, Reds, and Twins all have strong farm systems and promising young talent on their big-league rosters already. They're best positioned to take a shot at a high-end talent. Also, those are three teams that can't afford stars on the open market. They have to grow their own stars, so go after those elite prospects at the trade deadline, even if it means getting fewer players in return.

https://www.cbssport...-a-big-package/

I don't think the Twins are in that spot for next year.Assuming Santana is not picked up, we have less than $30M in 2019 contracts (Reed, Castro, Pineda, Rodney).Assuming maybe $45M to $50M in arbitration and pre-arb deals, we'll be at least $40M under this year's payroll (which is only $7M more than 2011--$120M is not the ceiling).We could absolutely be players for anyone we wanted on the open market.

My (admittedly unlikely) dream?Meet with Machado, and give him a 6 year, $240M offer that expires when he walks out the door.Gives him better AAV than he's expecting, plus the chance to get another big contract after his age 32 season.We move him back to third, and have a top 3 of Rosario, Machado, and Escobar.It strengthens us considerably for our Romero/Gonsalves/Rooker/Kiriloff/Lewis wave, with Wade/Arraez/Graterol/Baddoo/Larnach/Rortvedt as cheap depth/trade chips to go for titles as soon as 2020.And all of this is without mentioning Berrios, Polanco, Kepler, Buxton, or Sano.

#34 jkcarew

jkcarew

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 02:06 PM

Carl Pastashio
1:14 Can we start dreaming that Alex Kirilloff will pull a Juan Soto?

Kiley McDaniel
1:14 Wouldn't plan on a Juan Soto happening again any time soon

https://www.fangraph...l-chat-7-25-18/

I'll take Juan Soto performance by his year 22 season. :)

#35 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 03:01 PM

I'll take Juan Soto performance by his year 22 season. :)

Wow, never heard of Soto until today. What aggressive promotion!

39 games from A, A+, AA to the majors. 19 years old.

Well, Kirilloff seems to shred wherever he goes, so he'd be a good candidate to rush. 

• Vanimal46 and SF Twins Fan like this

#36 jkcarew

jkcarew

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 03:17 PM

Fangraph notes regarding Rooker:

...distaste for righty-righty college first-base types because, other than Paul Goldschhmidt, Rhys Hoskins, and Erik Karros, those types of players haven’t yielded big-league value this century. 

Outcomes for prospects like Rooker are binary: they either hit enough to play every day or they don’t and they’re fringe 40-man guys.

IMO, the first comment above is meaningless and represent a type of increasingly-common occurrence resulting from the modern phenomenon of people running statistical filters 24x7 for a living.It's an interesting observation, but doesn't even hint at why the right-handed, or the college-playing 1B 'type' would be at a disadvantage relative to all the other first-base 'types' out there.Exactly the same as saying "because, other than the small number of guys that were good, nobody was good".

I agree with the second...and that statement is pretty true of all corner guys with marginal defensive skill and speed.

FWIW, I'm also cautious on Rooker, having to do primarily with his K rate (and yes...he's going to have to be significantly above average offensively to have value as he's more than likely a 1B/DH in the majors.)

• birdwatcher and 70charger like this

#37 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 12,297 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 25 July 2018 - 03:40 PM

Gonsalves was what... a fifth rounder? I’d say that draft pick was tremendous so far.

His upside is just fine. There are plenty of instances of guys that “lacked upside” that turned in cy young candidates (not that that’s what I’m predicting here)

He was drafted quite a bit lower than projections for 'character' reasons. He was generally considered 1-2 round talent. He had upside.

but yes, tremendous pick.

#38 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 06:43 PM

IMO, the first comment above is meaningless and represent a type of increasingly-common occurrence resulting from the modern phenomenon of people running statistical filters 24x7 for a living.It's an interesting observation, but doesn't even hint at why the right-handed, or the college-playing 1B 'type' would be at a disadvantage relative to all the other first-base 'types' out there.Exactly the same as saying "because, other than the small number of guys that were good, nobody was good".

I agree with the second...and that statement is pretty true of all corner guys with marginal defensive skill and speed.

FWIW, I'm also cautious on Rooker, having to do primarily with his K rate (and yes...he's going to have to be significantly above average offensively to have value as he's more than likely a 1B/DH in the majors.)

Well actually there is at least a partial reason: left-handed hitters more often have a favorable matchup in terms of pitcher handedness.

If you ain't got no haters, you ain't poppin'.

#39 nater79a

nater79a

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 861 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 06:49 PM

Morosi throws out the idea that maybe the Brewers would bite on bigger deal including Gibson.

Thoughts?

• Dance with Disco Dan likes this

#40 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 06:53 PM

Pretty sure it’s unlimited. Most of the roster will likely get put on waivers. No harm in it.

Everyone can be put on waivers after August and pulled back once. They can be freely traded if they clear waivers and obviously could be traded to the claiming team if they are claimed. After that, when they get put on waivers they cannot be pulled back if claimed. One freebee per player. Almost every player goes on waivers right after August 1 so that teams know who they can trade.