Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Twins stuff from around the Web (Fangraphs, Twitter, Athletic, non-local news sites, etc)

• Please log in to reply
293 replies to this topic

#261 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,789 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 08 November 2018 - 03:06 PM

"Yes, thank you, Mr. Law, but how do you feel about Royce Lewis being able to stick at SS?"

"I'd like to ask two followup questions. First, among SS prospects, do you expect Royce Lewis to remain at that position? Second, Twins #1 draft pick Royce Lewis was taken as a shortstop, but do you believe he'll play there in the majors? I'll hang up and listen, then call back with another followup if need be."

/ I'm sorry, I forgot this was supposed to stay focused, I thought it was a game thread

• Mike Sixel and GP830 like this

I always go the extra mile. That's what happens when you get lost easily.

#262 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,676 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 09 November 2018 - 12:04 PM

Are you excited?!
  • Mike Sixel likes this

#263 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,267 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 12:23 PM

Jack
9:24 With the Mariners apparently ready to withdraw themselves, the race for the AL’s second Wild Card next year will consist of the Athletics, Rays, and...?
Jeff Sullivan
9:24 I think the Angels will end up a dark-horse candidate, and then the Mariners and Twins will cling to distant hope
9:25 Depending on what the Blue Jays do, and depending on what Vlad does when he arrives in the middle of April, there's a non-zero chance there as well

https://www.fangraph...s-chat-11-9-18/

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#264 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,550 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 01:34 PM

So far nearly every one of the White Sox young prized prospects they received for tanking look like busts. They may get some big money free agents, but I've rarely been more confident that another team has absolutely dropped the ball on their assessment of young players. 

I see things very differently when I look at the CWS. Eloy Jiminez is the #3 ranked prospect in all of baseball and was among I think 9 Top 100 prospects for CWS. Many of those are among the prized prospects they received for Sale, Eaton, etc. Kopech had TJ but he's an absolute stud. Moncada and Giolito can't be considered busts by any means, and Cease, Basabe, Dunning, and Rutherford are all as promising as anything the Twins have in their system not named Lewis.

So I think Keith Law, if anything, is understating the White Sox's case. 

In addition to their haul via those trades, they have some draft picks and international signings that are looking like real nice decisions: Luis Robert, Madrigal, Steele, etc. There isn't a FO in baseball that would rank the Twin's pipeline over theirs. Longer-term AND perhaps even in 2019, I fear CWS most.

• Dman, Major Leauge Ready and Vanimal46 like this

#265 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,676 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 09 November 2018 - 03:18 PM

I see things very differently when I look at the CWS. Eloy Jiminez is the #3 ranked prospect in all of baseball and was among I think 9 Top 100 prospects for CWS. Many of those are among the prized prospects they received for Sale, Eaton, etc. Kopech had TJ but he's an absolute stud. Moncada and Giolito can't be considered busts by any means, and Cease, Basabe, Dunning, and Rutherford are all as promising as anything the Twins have in their system not named Lewis.

So I think Keith Law, if anything, is understating the White Sox's case.

In addition to their haul via those trades, they have some draft picks and international signings that are looking like real nice decisions: Luis Robert, Madrigal, Steele, etc. There isn't a FO in baseball that would rank the Twin's pipeline over theirs. Longer-term AND perhaps even in 2019, I fear CWS most.

I'm right there with you, Bird. Nick's post about them being busts was wishful thinking IMO. They have been holding back their best prospects until they are ready to make the leap forward into contention. Could be as early as April 2019.

#266 dbminn

dbminn

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 547 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN

Posted Yesterday, 01:25 PM

From Dan Hayes at the Athletic via Connor Byrne at MLBTradeRumors:

"Had those two [Sano and Buxton] remained strong contributors last season, Minnesota would’ve been more willing to go “full speed ahead” this winter in an attempt to catch the AL Central rival Indians, Hayes writes."...

"If Buxton and Sano do rebound, Twins ownership would give the team’s front office “the green light to take more of an aggressive step forward with this unit of players,” general manager Thad Levine said".

I've been skeptical about big things happening in the FA market this year. Seems the FO is reinforcing my attitude. I still believe any changes in the offseason will revolve around trades for young players or one-year FA. 

• nicksaviking and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#267 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 9,207 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:01 PM

There's nothing Pohlad would enjoy more, than a season or two without Mauer's albatross contract inflating payroll.

Source: me.

#268 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,796 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted Yesterday, 06:40 PM

"Had those two [Sano and Buxton] remained strong contributors last season, Minnesota would’ve been more willing to go “full speed ahead” this winter in an attempt to catch the AL Central rival Indians, Hayes writes."...

"If Buxton and Sano do rebound, Twins ownership would give the team’s front office “the green light to take more of an aggressive step forward with this unit of players,” general manager Thad Levine said".

I've been skeptical about big things happening in the FA market this year. Seems the FO is reinforcing my attitude. I still believe any changes in the offseason will revolve around trades for young players or one-year FA. 

I'm too cheap to pay for access to the Athletic so I'm hoping that there is more nuance to the statement. 

Because... My God... If Ownership is waiting for Buxton and Sano to hit the organizational go button? That's kinda like saying... I will buy a boat only after I catch a Muskie. 

Does this mean that ownership will not rely on the management team they hired to find players to rely upon... but will instead rely upon players who have been unreliable thus far? 

I'm really hoping that Thad Lavine is easily misunderstood when providing information during interviews.

• USAFChief, Mike Sixel, diehardtwinsfan and 3 others like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#269 Jim Hahn

Jim Hahn

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:27 PM

It's kind of easy to be disappointed, frustrated, and concerned about what the future holds for Buxton and Sano. But the incredible talent both of those guys possess. If the FO doesn't have a bit of patience concerning those two, they will likely be making a mistake that could set the franchise back for years.

I suppose it is possible that either or even both will never stay healthy or figure it out. I actually think that is unlikely. The easiest, quickest way for the Twins to become a very good team is for the young core to reach their potential. I rather hope this FO is smart enough to give this group a little time to see if that can happen.
  • birdwatcher, Riverbrian and dbminn like this

#270 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

2 + 2 = 5

• Members
  • 2,889 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted Yesterday, 08:37 PM

I'm too cheap to pay for access to the Athletic so I'm hoping that there is more nuance to the statement. 

Because... My God... If Ownership is waiting for Buxton and Sano to hit the organizational go button? That's kinda like saying... I will buy a boat only after I catch a Muskie. 

Does this mean that ownership will not rely on the management team they hired to find players to rely upon... but will instead rely upon players who have been unreliable thus far? 

I'm really hoping that Thad Lavine is easily misunderstood when providing information during interviews.

The Athletic only costs 4 bucks a month, well worth it. Dan Hayes has been doing a really nice job so far on the Twins. 

Edited by Winston Smith, Yesterday, 08:39 PM.

• Riverbrian, nytwinsfan and dbminn like this

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.

Yogi Berra

#271 dbminn

dbminn

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 547 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN

Posted Yesterday, 10:56 PM

The Athletic only costs 4 bucks a month, well worth it. Dan Hayes has been doing a really nice job so far on the Twins. 

You pushed me over the edge. I signed up for the Athletic.

• Riverbrian and mendozaline like this

#272 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 3,078 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:50 PM

It's kind of easy to be disappointed, frustrated, and concerned about what the future holds for Buxton and Sano. But the incredible talent both of those guys possess. If the FO doesn't have a bit of patience concerning those two, they will likely be making a mistake that could set the franchise back for years.

I suppose it is possible that either or even both will never stay healthy or figure it out. I actually think that is unlikely. The easiest, quickest way for the Twins to become a very good team is for the young core to reach their potential. I rather hope this FO is smart enough to give this group a little time to see if that can happen.

They could still be the second coming of Carlos Gomez and Delmon Young, only playing for other teams.

• Riverbrian likes this

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#273 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 3,597 posts

Posted Today, 02:33 AM

That is both apt and the most Minnesota analogy ever.
  • Riverbrian likes this

#274 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,796 posts

Posted Today, 06:56 AM

I'd have to give something up and that $4 dollars is my monthly air freshener budget. 

• USAFChief and dbminn like this

Founded 4-23-16 

#275 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,796 posts

Posted Today, 07:02 AM

It has to be one of the most "moving" of moving targets. 

If you wait for Sano and Buxton to have a big year... that means they had a big year without the "aggressive" support. 

So the next year... you provide the "aggressive" support and they don't have such a big year or they get hurt. 

Wouldn't it be smarter to just provide the support in case they have the big year? 

It seems like any attempt to "time it" would be nearly impossible while causing missed windows unintentionally on the front and back side. 

• ashburyjohn, USAFChief, Mike Sixel and 2 others like this

Founded 4-23-16 

#276 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,796 posts

Posted Today, 07:22 AM

I really hope that the context is: 

If Buxton and Sano would have been "strong contributors" we might have gone hard after Bryce Harper. 

Since they were not "strong contributors" we will probably sign "Marwin Gonzalez" instead. 

That is better but I'm still not comfortable with the message being sent. 

I didn't sleep much last night... thinking about this.:)

• Carole Keller, Han Joelo, birdwatcher and 2 others like this

Founded 4-23-16 

#277 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 3,597 posts

Posted Today, 07:32 AM

Could the context be "if Buxton and Sano rebound..." in terms of injury recovery, health (e.g. weight issues), offseason training program adherence, etc.?

Just a thought. It would make the quote much more palatable than actually waiting for them to perform on the field.

• Riverbrian likes this

#278 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,796 posts

Posted Today, 07:44 AM

Could the context be "if Buxton and Sano rebound..." in terms of injury recovery, health (e.g. weight issues), offseason training program adherence, etc.?

Just a thought. It would make the quote much more palatable than actually waiting for them to perform on the field.

It could be... But, Wow... if that is the context. I'm still not very happy.

It's basically saying... "we had and have everything invested and riding on these two. There is no diversification to protect ourselves at all... it's these two period. 

It's like a text was sent to me: Riverbrian, your Twins enjoyment depends Buxton and Sano. 

• Mike Sixel likes this

Founded 4-23-16 

#279 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,218 posts

Posted Today, 09:01 AM

I called this last year. Ownership says they can't spend now b/c they have to keep the payroll open for longterm contracts for Buxton/Sano etc and now they can't spend until they know if Sano and Buxton are worth building around. 

We have 25 years of history to work with. Don't expect ownership to be part of the solution. What was amazing about the Twins in the 2000s was the ability of the players and FO to keep them competitive without help from ownership. Falvey and Levine are going to have to show they can do the same. Expect another season with payroll in the bottom third of the league. 

• Mike Sixel, Riverbrian and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#280 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,723 posts

Posted Today, 09:17 AM

I really hope that the context is: 

If Buxton and Sano would have been "strong contributors" we might have gone hard after Bryce Harper. 

Since they were not "strong contributors" we will probably sign "Marwin Gonzalez" instead. 

That is better but I'm still not comfortable with the message being sent. 

I didn't sleep much last night... thinking about this.:)

I don't know where the mix up in context is, as long as there a mix up.

No one should need to wait for Sano and Buxton. This is baseball, not the NBA, don't let two players dictate your entire philosophy about building a team. If it helps, they should proceed with this off season as if they've never heard of those two players.

Just put a really good team together. If those two come back too life, then you have a great team. 

• Mike Sixel and Riverbrian like this