Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Twins stuff from around the Web (Fangraphs, Twitter, Athletic, non-local news sites, etc)

• Please log in to reply
200 replies to this topic

#181 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 06:40 PM

I’ve never heard anyone state that they didn’t think Kirillof could stick at corner OF

#182 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,354 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 13 September 2018 - 09:06 PM

I’ve never heard anyone state that they didn’t think Kirillof could stick at corner OF

Kepler either. :)

A slim chance equals a fat chance, yet a wise man and a wise guy are opposites.

#183 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 08:49 AM

I'm confused... Kepler is a good corner OF defender and can play a passable CF in a pinch. 

• ashburyjohn, TheLeviathan and nytwinsfan like this

#184 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 12,409 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 14 September 2018 - 10:41 AM

I believe the scouting reports on him say that he will never be a top notch defender... the flip side is that the bat is good enough to make up for what will likely be below average to average defense in a corner. He may end up being a future DH, but like Sano, the longer you can keep him in the field, the more value he provides. 

#185 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 03:22 PM

I believe the scouting reports on him say that he will never be a top notch defender... the flip side is that the bat is good enough to make up for what will likely be below average to average defense in a corner. He may end up being a future DH, but like Sano, the longer you can keep him in the field, the more value he provides. 

While he is not a 60 runner or fielder he also isn't below average either.He should be solid in right or left for several years before he has to move out of the outfield.He isn't that far removed from playing center field in High School.I am not sure where this narrative of sub par defense comes from.MLB had him as 50, 50, 50 for defense so nothing below average and I believe Fangraphs has him pegged similarly. So who are these scouts that see such deficiency?

#186 S.

S.

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 02:50 PM

We've been playing Grossman in the outfield for years, so I can't say I'm too concerned about having an outfielder who is a middling defender and a good hitter. Even if he is a slightly below average defender and a slightly above average hitter, that'd be an upgrade.

• Mike Sixel and Doomtints like this

#187 dbminn

dbminn

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN

Posted 18 September 2018 - 10:44 AM

Fangraphs has made their final prospect ranking "adjustments" for 2018. Lewis to 5th and Kirilloff to 15th. Graterol didn't move, which is a surprise. 

• Mike Sixel, nicksaviking, snepp and 1 other like this

#188 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,720 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 10:57 AM

Fangraphs has made their final prospect ranking "adjustments" for 2018. Lewis to 5th and Kirilloff to 15th. Graterol didn't move, which is a surprise.

And Gordon still 60.... Sites still like him a lot.
  • Dance with Disco Dan, Dman and dbminn like this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#189 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,060 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 01:18 PM

Graterol didn't move, which is a surprise. 

I don't know about that -- Graterol had a solid season to cement his spot, but at the same time it wasn't necessarily so dominant as to demand moving him up national lists. Some of that is just a limitation of his age/innings/level/league too (his K rate was right around league average after moving up to the FSL). There's some good pitching prospects around him on that list, so there's no shame in staying there for now.

• birdwatcher likes this

#190 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,968 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 01:23 PM

I guess I don't see Kepler's glove as deciding his future.His bat is the question mark.

Kiriloff's future spot probably depends on whether Buxton ever becomes what we want him to be.If he doesn't, Kepler is likely the CFer going forward.If he is, then we have a logjam.But we're a long way from that.Hopefully Kep and Buxton's bats help that logjam become a reality.

It'd be a nice problem to have.

• Mike Sixel and diehardtwinsfan like this

#191 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 10,118 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 01:34 PM

Kepler is a quality major leaguer who is only going to get better. 

• birdwatcher, nytwinsfan and Twinsbar107 like this

#192 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 21,796 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 18 September 2018 - 01:47 PM

I guess I don't see Kepler's glove as deciding his future.His bat is the question mark.

Kiriloff's future spot probably depends on whether Buxton ever becomes what we want him to be.If he doesn't, Kepler is likely the CFer going forward.If he is, then we have a logjam.But we're a long way from that.Hopefully Kep and Buxton's bats help that logjam become a reality.

I have a hard time imagining Kepler as the full time center fielder. I doubt that happens.

• ashburyjohn, birdwatcher and TheLeviathan like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#193 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 02:55 PM

Maybe I read it wrong, but I don't think they fully re-did the top 100. I think they made some adjustments where there were big changes . . . the bottom 50 will probably change as they do their in-depth, org by org reviews.

If you ain't got no haters, you ain't poppin'.

#194 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 04:06 PM

Molitor certainly seems to think Kepler has more ceiling, drawing a comp to Christian Yellich recently.

I can envision Buxton coming around adequately and Kepler reaching another plateau. In 2019, maybe Austin and Mauer at 1B, Kirilloff and Rooker in AA/AAA? In 2020, Mauer retires, Kirilloff and Rooker take over 1B/DH responsibilities, maybe Lewis at SS and Polanco at 2B? A fairly decent OF with Rosario, a renewed Buxton, and an improved Kepler? It's possible...

Edited by birdwatcher, 18 September 2018 - 04:08 PM.

#195 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 04:14 PM

I don't know about that -- Graterol had a solid season to cement his spot, but at the same time it wasn't necessarily so dominant as to demand moving him up national lists. Some of that is just a limitation of his age/innings/level/league too (his K rate was right around league average after moving up to the FSL). There's some good pitching prospects around him on that list, so there's no shame in staying there for now.

No shame at all.

There are six pitching prospects listed in this top 100 belonging to teams in the AL Central. Graterol is in a second tier of those with CWS's Cease and Dunning. The other three are Kopech, Detroit's Mize, and Cleveland's McKenzie. All five of these other pitching prospects were first round draft picks.

We have to remember that Graterol started last year in the GCL, getting his first real taste of professional baseball in the states. He might ultimately have a better career than half of these first round guys.

Edited by birdwatcher, 18 September 2018 - 04:20 PM.

• diehardtwinsfan likes this

#196 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,968 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 04:18 PM

I have a hard time imagining Kepler as the full time center fielder. I doubt that happens.

It's not ideal.I like Max Kepler and I'm rooting for him to have a Rosario-like breakout next year.  

However, he's in a weird boat of not being good enough in CF where the bat is a plus, but not good enough as a hitter to be a plus player in RF either. Obviously, if Buxton becomes what we hope finally, CF is all locked up, but that's far from a given.

And Kiriloff looks like a guy you might be able to call up sooner than originally expected.If that happens and Buxton can't play CF....wouldn't Kepler be the logical choice?(We're down a lengthy hypothetical to be sure)

Edited by TheLeviathan, 18 September 2018 - 04:19 PM.

• USAFChief likes this

#197 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,182 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 06:53 PM

REMINDER: the purpose of this thread is to serve as an aggregate for national news stories on the Twins. The discussion on Kepler, while interesting, belongs elsewhere as it is sidetracking this thread. If you want to continue the discussion, please start a separate thread and keep this one to post various news stories and links. Thank you.
  • Mike Sixel likes this

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#198 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,720 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:08 AM

http://meadowparty.c...awchat-9-13-18/

Dave: Are you ok with Lewis and Kirilloff missing the AFL?

Keith Law: They didn’t miss it – they weren’t chosen, probably because both played full seasons already.

Jason : With talk of his possible retirement, is Joe Mayer a HOF player? Is he if he stayed at catcher?

Keith Law: If he retires now, he’s going to be a borderline case who struggles on the ballot because his traditional numbers don’t add up and because he doesn’t ‘feel’ like a HoFer, while folks like me or Jay Jaffe may end up banging the drum for him when he pulls in 21% of the vote in year one.

ScottyD in Downingtown: Kiriloff starts 2019 at AA? Would a mid-2020 ETA in Minnesota be accurate?

Keith Law: That’s probably right – although really, he might be ready next September, and we’re all arguing about service time manipulation again.

Big Tawn: Does Byron Buxton need a change of scenery for his bat to pan out? Can he realistically be a 50 hitter with 50 power?

Keith Law: I think he can be that guy, but I don’t know if he needs a change of scenery, or just, you know, major league at bats.

Matt: Are Mauer and McCutchen and David Wright HOF players to you? I heard Buster talk about them on the podcast. Just curious.

Keith Law: Mauer will be close. The others I think are on the outside.

• Carole Keller, 70charger, big dog and 1 other like this

#199 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,720 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:03 AM

Logan
12:55 Royce Lewis is now listed at SS instead of CF on the board. Think he sticks in the dirt?

Kiley McDaniel
12:55 Looks more likely now than ever! Talked about this some of the last podcast too.

https://www.fangraph...l-chat-9-19-18/

• gunnarthor likes this

#200 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,720 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:14 AM

mike sixel
1:10 Odds we see Kiriloff in MN next year at some point? thanks!

Kiley McDaniel
1:11 On this trajectory, he would be deserving of at least a September look. May depend on competitive situation to see if he actually does get a look

• gunnarthor likes this