Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Dozier Hasn't Changed and Could Pay Big For Twins

minnesota twins brian dozier
  • Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#41 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,832 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 08:22 PM

Really impressive tonight:GIDP, K, K, IFF

Sometimes I am not sure if you would prefer for the Twins to win or Dozier to have a game like tonight.
  • mngopherguy likes this

#42 jun

jun

• Members
  • 805 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 08:37 PM

Sometimes I am not sure if you would prefer for the Twins to win or Dozier to have a game like tonight.

Dozier surely has a negative effect in the game for the Twins. When runners were on the base, he either hit into DP or failed to move the runners over. That's pathetic hitting.

Edited by jun, 21 July 2018 - 08:52 PM.

• Thrylos likes this

#43 jun

jun

• Members
  • 805 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 08:41 PM

So you think it's okay to perform like that. Cave also had a bad game tonight. 4 Ks I think.

Edited by jun, 21 July 2018 - 08:44 PM.

• Thrylos likes this

#44 jun

jun

• Members
  • 805 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 08:48 PM

I don't understand why people would like someone who hardly performs when it matters. This game is about scoring runs not stats.

• Thrylos and ewen21 like this

#45 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,668 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 21 July 2018 - 09:12 PM

I would prefer the Twins to win each and every game.Dozier is dragging them down.

• jorgenswest and jun like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#46 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,490 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 09:31 PM

Nick Gordon is very likely going to be yet another wasted high draft pick for the Twins.Guy screams utility player/lower end MLB 2B.All those high picks.Goes to show it's not just about losing and getting the high picks, it's about picking the right guys and being able to develop them.

22 years old playing in AAA in an era where plays really don't hit their stride until much later. Drian Dozier at 22 and 27 days was in rookie ball. Aaron Hicks was just finishing his AA season

• jorgenswest, alarp33 and wsnydes like this

#47 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,490 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 09:37 PM

Dozier this year is playing about league average second base.Of course one ****ty game and the pitchforks come out. 

• Riverbrian and mngopherguy like this

#48 jkcarew

jkcarew

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 09:40 PM

I don't understand why people would like someone who hardly performs when it matters. This game is about scoring runs not stats.

Because he was the team’s best player over a period of 4 years heading into this year? Might that be why?
  • USAFChief, Rigby and mngopherguy like this

#49 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 10,212 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 09:40 PM

22 years old playing in AAA in an era where plays really don't hit their stride until much later. Drian Dozier at 22 and 27 days was in rookie ball. Aaron Hicks was just finishing his AA season

Dozier played in college. And was not a fifth overall pick. Higher picks have higher expectations.

Edited by jimmer, 21 July 2018 - 09:42 PM.

#50 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,490 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 09:59 PM

Other than the Indians overpaying for a closer , it does not seem the returns are more than high ceiling, high risk prospects. Dozier traded or not, the player is not likely to crack the Twins top 20, Dozier getting hot, or not.

#51 jun

jun

• Members
  • 805 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 11:22 PM

Dozier this year is playing about league average second base.Of course one ****ty game and the pitchforks come out. 

Are you sure it's just one game? The stats shows Dozier rarely performs when it matters throughout his career.

Edited by jun, 21 July 2018 - 11:22 PM.

• Thrylos likes this

#52 jun

jun

• Members
  • 805 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 11:28 PM

Because he was the team’s best player over a period of 4 years heading into this year? Might that be why?

Are you sure Dozier is the best player over a period of 4 years heading into this year? The best player hardly performs when it matters? Escobar and Mauer have been doing way better when RISP. I am still not sure we can say they are the best players.

#53 akmanak

akmanak

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 12:20 AM

I will say it again, no way Dozier is traded Twins ship is sinking.

#54 rghrbek

rghrbek

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 583 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 01:27 AM

Dozier has been a great player for the twins, at a huge discount vs. his value.  But the love for him has to stop after this year's contract.

He's been a great player for the price.  moving forward you must consider that he's been the worst hitter in twins history in close or late at bats.  That's a real thing  He's one of the worst in MLB history.  that is also real.  Maybe that is because Gardy and Molly always had him leading off, I don't know.  It's time to let him go and get whatever we can.  

He's not the camel that stirs the straw, it's the young players and we counted on them and they have let us down this year.  Time to trade a 31 year old guy.  Let it go.

It is what it is.

• LA VIkes Fan and jun like this

#55 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,490 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 05:17 AM

Dozier played in college. And was not a fifth overall pick. Higher picks have higher expectations.

High expectations or unreasonable ones? See the part of the comment on Hicks

#56 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,490 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 05:34 AM

Are you sure it's just one game? The stats shows Dozier rarely performs when it matters throughout his career.

Subjective measure or objective measure?

#57 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,681 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 22 July 2018 - 06:04 AM

Really impressive tonight:GIDP, K, K, IFF

Hey Now... I said 2nd Half.

I did not specifically mention July 21, 2018.:)

Doesn't anyone read the fine print anymore. 

• old nurse and wsnydes like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#58 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,490 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 06:51 AM

from 15-now Brian Dozier has scored the sixth most runs in baseball. He has had the 18th most RBI. If it is all about runs the Dozier would be a superstar

• jorgenswest and Rigby like this

#59 alarp33

alarp33

• Members
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 07:21 AM

Playing in college does not change the fact that he was 22 in rookie ball, while Gordon is in AAA. Those are their actual ages

"The game has changed since I've entered, it's for bright, energetic negotiators moreso than anything I possess." - Terry Ryan 2007

#60 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 10,212 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 07:31 AM

Playing in college does not change the fact that he was 22 in rookie ball, while Gordon is in AAA. Those are their actual ages

Well, Dozier was DRAFTED at 22. Did people expect an EIGHTH ROUND pick from college to go to AAA right out the gate? Comparing where a college guy is at a certain age in professional ball to a high school draftee is ridiculous.

Gordon is a 5th overall pick who is now in his 5th professional season. Didn't have an OPS of .700 or more till his third year (yet somehow got promoted every year anyway).Spent a season in AA, had to go back the next year until promoted to AAA this year, where he has a .602 OPS.

Edited by jimmer, 22 July 2018 - 07:40 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: minnesota twins, brian dozier